WJC: 2016 — Sweden Roster Talk

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I do hope the Leafs release him for the tournament. It would be a shame if they didn't. He was the best offensive player the last time this age group met in a tournament U18s.

If any player is not a NHL regular playing a significant role on the team and contributing, then they should be at this tournament, and it is idiotic for NHL GMs to hold them out. It's in the best interest of their development.

Yeah, I don't see why the Leafs would want him on the Marlies when he can play a leading role in a big tournament like this.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, I don't see why the Leafs would want him on the Marlies when he can play a leading role in a big tournament like this.

To be fair, he's playing a leading role on one of the best AHL teams. What's the projected lineup for Sweden if W Nylander isn't released? Any chance Alex Nylander gets a callup?

Bluejaysfan*

Well to be fair, he played a leading role last year in the WJC and was tied for the 2nd most points in the tournament. I just feel like other than winning gold with Sweden, he's in a lose-lose scenario. He either dominates like everyone expects him to, or he struggles and gets criticized.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Vejdemo seems to be playing his best hockey of the season, has 6 pts in the last 7 games for Djurgarden. Hope he can make the WJC roster.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
You don't get many chances to play big games. I really don't see how it would hurt Nylander's development to play a big role at the WJC instead of a few mid season AHL games.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You don't get many chances to play big games. I really don't see how it would hurt Nylander's development to play a big role at the WJC instead of a few mid season AHL games.

It wouldn't hurt his development, in fact it can only be beneficial to his development...but there are short-sighted NHL GMs who don't believe it's a good development tool; and then there are fans who like to play fantasy GM and micromanage a players career on the interwebs because, well, nothing better to do.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Playing big games in the WJC, should be good for anyone's development compared to playing mid season games in the farm.

I hope he gets to play in the WJC.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Well to be fair, he played a leading role last year in the WJC and was tied for the 2nd most points in the tournament. I just feel like other than winning gold with Sweden, he's in a lose-lose scenario. He either dominates like everyone expects him to, or he struggles and gets criticized.
Would a little criticism hurt him so much?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Seems like SVT and TV4 only will show Swedens games + the final.....:shakehead

Viasat always showed a lot of games....

Last edited:

Dandelion*

I dont have faith in Grönborg at making the right roster selection at all. I want to see both Alex Nylander and Timashov making the team, but he will probably just go with SEL players instead :/

Jens Lööke has been really poor this year and doesnt deserve to go on old merits.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I dont have faith in Grönborg at making the right roster selection at all. I want to see both Alex Nylander and Timashov making the team, but he will probably just go with SEL players instead :/

Jens Lööke has been really poor this year and doesnt deserve to go on old merits.

Lööke has been trending upwards. But yeah, by no means should he, Karlsson or Ehn be considered "locks". All of them probably are though.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

My impression is rather the opposite, Grönborg likes NA players and has good scouting buddies over there since he worked there several years. Timashov got double looks before the season started, one of the few.

Lööke is heating up and is fairly versatile, not just a scorer. I see him making it now.

Dandelion*

My impression is rather the opposite, Grönborg likes NA players and has good scouting buddies over there since he worked there several years. Timashov got double looks before the season started, one of the few.

Lööke is heating up and is fairly versatile, not just a scorer. I see him making it now.

Lööke was playing in SEL two seasons ago, now he is very far from doing that. Cant say he is trending up. Both Timashov and Alex Nylander is better.

leksig

Sep 22, 2008
Sweden
Seems like SVT and TV4 only will show Swedens games + the final.....:shakehead

Viasat always showed a lot of games....

Where have you read that? It sucks if that's true. I only found articles about TV4 showing their Sweden games on TV12, but that's it. If I remember correctly viasat always had Swedens games in their main channel, A little sad if the tournament lose viewers.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Timashov is by the sound of it a lock, since Grönbrog said he was dominating in the tournament he was playing for sweden this season, and he has been playing good in Q.

A Nylander? Last season I would say no chance, and I havnt seen him this season, but his stats is good and make me want to see how he has progress. So hopefully he will make the team. Would also be fun to see the 2 Nylander, maybe even playing togeheter and shift or 2.

But I do get the feeling that he will pass on Rasmus Andersson again, as Grönbrog see him as a offensive d-men only. Would be weird if a talent player like Rasmus Andersson didnt play WJC 20 at all.

Grönborg is a fan of grinders, that is why A Karlsson will probably make 3 WJC 20 while W Nylander will do at most 2. Personally quality over roles i say, most players can adapt.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Lööke was playing in SEL two seasons ago, now he is very far from doing that. Cant say he is trending up. Both Timashov and Alex Nylander is better.

Tbf to him Brynas are stacked up-front...

Jacob Blomqvist & Adam Brodecki on the 4th line is pretty silly.

Though I must say I am not the biggest Lööke fan... but he could be good in a bottom 6 role at WJC.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Grönborg is a fan of grinders, that is why A Karlsson will probably make 3 WJC 20 while W Nylander will do at most 2. Personally quality over roles i say, most players can adapt.

I loved Karlsson in his first tournament, he was a real asset and energy guy there. The version of him last year I can do without, and right now I don't have him making my team.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Camp starts in 2 weeks.

Team Sweden are on a Pre 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship camp December 15-19 in Björkängshallen and Segeltorpshallen, Huddinge, Sweden, and December 20-25 in Hämeenlinna and Helsinki, Finland.

3 exhibition games planned:

Sweden-Denmark 18 dec
Sweden-Slovakia 21 dec
Sweden-Canada 23 dec

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad