WJC: 2016 — Sweden Roster Talk

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
I think Grönborg is a good coach, BUT he is like the second mold of Mårts. Solid games and sometimes blow-outs in the groupstages/QF and then when it matters the most (finals/semifinals) they cant get the edge. Correct me if im wrong but the only gold medal these two gentlemen have combined in the NT is the Home WC gold from 2013(?). Where we met Switzerland, and had a first line with the Sedins and Loui Eriksson. As well as a very strong WC team down the lines(Labdeskog, edler etc.). Almost impossible to lose.

snizzbone*

Will is in the crowd apparently. So he did not not in fact just get taken back by Toronto to come play for the Marlies ;).

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
What's Grönborgs numbers like in medal games?

Blowout loss against USA today
Embarrasing loss against Slovakia last year
We lost to Finland at home 2014.
And if I remember correct it was the same way in u18 too?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
terrible tournament from lindblom.

Really? He did not have any bad games IMO and always looked to play 200ft, work hard on boards and pay price around net. And was very good vs Denmark & Slovakia, as well as being a key PKer.

This bronze game he was one of the only guys who actually seemed to give a ****. (Grundstrom & JFK seemed to as well.)

I mean... his centre had a worse tournament quite easily.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
What's Grönborgs numbers like in medal games?

Blowout loss against USA today
Embarrasing loss against Slovakia last year
We lost to Finland at home 2014.
And if I remember correct it was the same way in u18 too?

If you mean bad when it matters? Then yes.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
People last year blamed Nylander for the bad preformance in the bronze-game, do they still do that? Is it not obvious that the problem lies elsewhere?

Our coach has now lost 3 years in a row the last game of the tournament. In the medal games (semi and forwards) we have won 1 out of 6 games with him (none in the last 5 games i semi and forward, and the game we won was on home ice), and he show absolutly no sign of learning from the past and do anything different.

I think Mårts sometime have got to much crictism, but Grönborg is beyond bad and have no place to coach at this level.

Last edited:

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
People last year blamed Nylander for the bad preformance in the bronze-game, do they still do that? Is it not obvious that the problem lies elsewhere?

Our coach has now lost 3 years in a row the last game of the tournament. In the medal games (semi and forwards) we have won 1 out of 6 games with him (none in the last 5 games i semi and forward, and the game we won was on home ice), and he show absolutly no sign of learning from the past and do anything different.

I think Mårts sometime have got to much crictism, but Grönborg is beyond bad and have no place to coach at this level.
Personally, i just thought it was funny to see Leafs fans claiming that William was the best player in last years tournament besides McDavid, he was far from it. Nylander wasn't great last year, but that doesn't mean that he was the reason why the team was bad, which i never claimed since i was arguing about this. Let's not forget that last years team was very young, and the expectations wasn't very high, which is one of the reasons why Nylander had big expectations on him, he was the best and most talented player on the team heading into the tournament.

A lot of players were returning from that tournament, and for obvious reasons you expected improvements. Now you're witnessing pretty much the same thing happening again, so obviously you really have to question the coaching staff, but also the player group itself that massively underperformed yet again when it mattered, despite having a great team. I have no doubts that Nylander would've been better this year, but that doesn't really change the fact for me that he wasn't as good as some people are claiming that he was last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad