Others include:
F: Rasmus Asplund, Carl Grundstrom
D: Jacob Larsson, Adam Ollas Mattson, Rasmus Andersson
Wow, this team looks good!

Last edited by a moderator:

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
I thought everyone knew that Pettersson isn't even close to Aho's level right now.

During the last month Sebastian Ohlsson has played much better than Holmström in Skellefteå, so it's nice to see Holmström do well in the national team at least. I hope he'll be able to pick his game up (especially his skating) before the WJC starts...

1+1 so far tonight, I take full responsibility for Holmström ending his snakebitten journey :sarcasm:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think this swedish team will be very fun to watch and should be one of the best teams at the tournament. Last year I could barely stand watching the swedish team, it was the worst one I've seen since I started watching the tournament in 07/08. This year it looks really good though, a nice mix of players at all positions. Should be a gold medal candidate for sure.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Also, there is no guarantee Nylander gets sent from the Marlies either.

That would be a huge blow.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Also, there is no guarantee Nylander gets sent from the Marlies either.

That would be a huge blow.

Pretty sure there's an agreement with the NHL and the Swedes that lets Nylander go if he's not in the NHL (so AHL is fine).

Don't quote me on this, not too sure

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Pretty sure there's an agreement with the NHL and the Swedes that lets Nylander go if he's not in the NHL (so AHL is fine).

Don't quote me on this, not too sure

that would be the Leafs choice not the NHL's, and I doubt all 30 teams would come to an agreement that they have to send a prospect but only come to said agreement with 1 country.

Didn't Washington hold Burakovsky back last year in the AHL because they felt they might need to call him up soon or something?

That being said, I expect Nylander to be there. I don't think the Leafs would keep him back from that.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I do hope the Leafs release him for the tournament. It would be a shame if they didn't. He was the best offensive player the last time this age group met in a tournament U18s.

If any player is not a NHL regular playing a significant role on the team and contributing, then they should be at this tournament, and it is idiotic for NHL GMs to hold them out. It's in the best interest of their development.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I do hope the Leafs release him for the tournament. It would be a shame if they didn't. He was the best offensive player the last time this age group met in a tournament U18s.

If any player is not a NHL regular playing a significant role on the team and contributing, then they should be at this tournament, and it is idiotic for NHL GMs to hold them out. It's in the best interest of their development.

If he was the best offensive player in the tournament last year, who is to say it's best for him to go back to a level he's already proven he's above?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If he was the best offensive player in the tournament last year, who is to say it's best for him to go back to a level he's already proven he's above?

he didn't say that.

He said he was the best offensive player the last time this age group played internationally, the U18's with this age group, not last years U20's

That being said the U18's usually don't have all the best talent because the CHL playoffs.

He was one of the best players in the last U20, I don't think you can say he was the best though. Reinhart, Domi, Duclair, McDavid, Eichel, Ehlers, etc, etc were there with him.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
he didn't say that.

He said he was the best offensive player the last time this age group played internationally, the U18's with this age group, not last years U20's

That being said the U18's usually don't have all the best talent because the CHL playoffs.

He was one of the best players in the last U20, I don't think you can say he was the best though. Reinhart, Domi, Duclair, McDavid, Eichel, Ehlers, etc, etc were there with him.

McDavid is the only one I would have traded him for during last years tournament. Nylander almost won the scoring race while playing with two underage late round picks.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
LOL Nylander was garbage in all the games that meant anything last year.

That said of course he should play in this tourney. These are BIG games, high pressure and intensity. Of course he should be playing. He is Sweden's main offensive piece and being "the guy" for a good team in such a high profile tournament will be a very good thing for his development. No doubt in my mind.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
LOL Nylander was garbage in all the games that meant anything last year.

That said of course he should play in this tourney. These are BIG games, high pressure and intensity. Of course he should be playing. He is Sweden's main offensive piece and being "the guy" for a good team in such a high profile tournament will be a very good thing for his development. No doubt in my mind.

I think was great throughout the whole tournament. Haters gone hate.

Gerin

Aug 15, 2010
British Columbia
I think was great throughout the whole tournament. Haters gone hate.

Agreed! His dominance in puck possession was amazing to watch and how he could create opportunities from almost what looked like nothing. Against stronger teams it looked like he didn't have much of a supporting cast and still was able to create offense. With a lot of returnee's another year older this team looks really good IMO

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Posted by SprDave in the leafs forum

http://www.tsn.ca/all-star-game-changes-coming-boucher-returning-1.395711

The Toronto Maple Leafs haven’t given any thought, at this point anyway, to loaning William Nylander and Kasperi Kapanen to the Swedish and Finnish national junior teams for the 2016 WJC.

So on the sliding scale of Yes-Likely-Doubtful-No, the chances of the two 19-year-olds, currently playing for the AHL’s Toronto Marlies, are in the doubtful category, which is to say the door hasn’t been slammed shut just yet but the mere fact the Leafs haven’t given much thought to the notion is telling.

The Leafs like the progress their young players are making with the Marlies and wouldn’t be eager to disrupt them.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Posted by SprDave in the leafs forum

If they play in AHL they will play in WJC, that is the agrements. So only they lift him up to NHL they can say no, otherwize they have no choice.

snizzbone*

If they play in AHL they will play in WJC, that is the agrements. So only they lift him up to NHL they can say no, otherwize they have no choice.

This was said last year and then Washington said no you can't have him, so.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Burakovsky was up with the Capitals when they declined WJC participation. They then sent him down afterwards when the team was already named. That's likely the same grey area Toronto would use, the NHL teams don't care nearly as much about these agreements as the Swedish federation does. In fact, I'm quite sure they don't even know about half of what is said in the transfer agreement. Worst case scenario they get a slap on the wrist to not do it again, but there's no money or draft picks on the line.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Well it sure seems like the Leafs think they have a choice lol

Like joe said, that was som sort of a grey area that washington used deliberately or not, I do not think it was deliberately, after all he had played in NHl most of the season before that.

Off course Toronto can call him up and put him on scratch like washington did and put him him down again in ahl when the tournaments starts. But as I said if he plays in AHL when they take out the team there is no question about it. So the only threat is them calling him up.

Hopefully he will play, huge different on the team with and without him. He is player that I think could dominate in the world cup if he was given the chance.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Wonder if when Nylander, Kempe & Timashov are added to the mix they re-unite the 1st line from last WJC or keep the top line that has been together since Nylander was in AHL (Eriksson Ek -- Holmstrom -- Lindblom), or try something different completely. I imagine they split Nylander and Holmstrom anyway and have them as 1C & 2C... makes the most sense. Either way the top six should be awesome.

Lots of great combos for top 12 could be had between:

W. Nylander (C/RW)
Lindblom (LW/RW)
Holmstrom (C)
Kempe (LW/RW)
Kovacs (LW/RW)
Timashov (LW/RW)
Eriksson Ek (C/LW)
A. Karlsson (LW/RW)
Looke (RW/LW)
A. Nylander (RW/LW)
Grundstrom (LW/RW)
Asplund (C/LW)
Vejdemo (C/LW)
Ehn (C/LW)

and a few more guys who are in consideration.

The PP should be lethal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad