Rumor: 2015 World Championships

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
Bernier declined. He's a Goalie. Probably no other Leaf other then Rielly. The defence can use some boosting.

True and if Rielly goes and Team Canada and Team Usa made it far in the Tornament he could get to chance to play against his toronto roomate and best friend Jake Gardiner.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
If I were Crosby, I'd be dialling Luongo all day long and trying to convince him, that he should in net. Canada needs someone good, and Mike Smith didn't have good season.

But yeah, I hope that Rielly joins the team, they need LHD.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This has the makings of a very talented team. Lots of combos to play with, but they will have to mesh as a team. Defence and Goal is weak though.

Crosby - Hall
Giroux - Duchene
Spezza - Seguin
Couturier - Ryan O'Reilly

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
This has the makings of a very talented team. Lots of combos to play with, but they will have to mesh as a team. Defence and Goal is weak though.

Crosby - Hall
Giroux - Duchene
Spezza - Seguin
Couturier - Ryan O'Reilly

I Really don't get why Hamhuis was invited why didn't they invited someone better.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Any reason why Kessel isn't going?

Was he even asked? If I was the team USA coach I wouldn't even ask him because you have to commit to have guys who play with grit and will bring a compete to the game. Bigger ice surface too much for Phil, he has a difficult time with an NHL size rink never mind a wider rink. He's probably not welcome. You can't float around and do fly-bys like Phil likes to do.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
the forwards are good the defense is weak.

and your point? I said this is by far the best team Canada has put together at this tournament..telling me the defense is weak doesn't change my opinion. Canada over the years has put together some mediocre teams based on players not accepting invites, injuries, or players still in the playoffs. Getting Crosby on this team with the group we already have is amazing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Was he even asked? If I was the team USA coach I wouldn't even ask him because you have to commit to have guys who play with grit and will bring a compete to the game. Bigger ice surface too much for Phil, he has a difficult time with an NHL size rink never mind a wider rink. He's probably not welcome. You can't float around and do fly-bys like Phil likes to do.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

One word for you - Olympics.

Everybody knows that top North American players often pass on the worlds. Is this really news to anybody?

Johnny Rudeboy:
Perhaps it's news to you but just so you know, we in North America don't care about the worlds. That goes not just for hockey but most sports. There is nowhere near the interest there is in Europe, it's just the way it is. So if you want to put down Kessel and give examples of players who "always answer the call of their country", don't bother with examples like Jagr, Sundin etc. because they're irrelevant.

mikebel111*

Haha nice job in trying to make something sound true but its not
What a fail of a post

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
So I guess Rielly's not going. If he was, surely there'd be announcement by now and he'd be in Vienna with the rest of the team?

Side note: I'm already a huge Crosby fan (one of my two favourite current players) but this news makes me respect him even more. He has shown so much commitment to Canadian hockey and Canada in general over the years, and he's just setting an amazing example right now to other NHL players about the importance of playing for your country in all circumstances, not just the most high-profile or prestigious events.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Side note: I'm already a huge Crosby fan (one of my two favourite current players) but this news makes me respect him even more. He has shown so much commitment to Canadian hockey and Canada in general over the years, and he's just setting an amazing example right now to other NHL players about the importance of playing for your country in all circumstances, not just the most high-profile or prestigious events.

He opted out of this tournament 4 times (07,10,12,14) when his Penguin team mate Malkin went. Sid was healthy for the playoffs in all these years as he played the same amount of playoff games as Malkin. He just decided not to go for whatever reason. So Crosby doesn't go in all circumstances. Maybe the championship drought for Canada at this tournament isn't at 7 if Crosby decides to join the team one of those years.

He skips the Worlds just as much as anyone.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

One word for you - Olympics.

Everybody knows that top North American players often pass on the worlds. Is this really news to anybody?

Johnny Rudeboy:
Perhaps it's news to you but just so you know, we in North America don't care about the worlds. That goes not just for hockey but most sports. There is nowhere near the interest there is in Europe, it's just the way it is. So if you want to put down Kessel and give examples of players who "always answer the call of their country", don't bother with examples like Jagr, Sundin etc. because they're irrelevant.

I already explained that I take every chance I can to dump on Kessel, does not always have to make sense. ;)

Edit: And these days Europeans (or at least the Swedes I know) dont have that much interest in the Worlds when it comes to hockey. If there is a game on after work, well you might watch it while you have your dinner or what ever. But it is not as if people are glued to their tellys and plan ahead. I guess if Sweden gets to the semis the interest rise a lot.
But with the NHL being so easily accessed and with every other major sporting event also being easily accessed thanks to TV-rights and the Internet the Worlds have become more of a secondary thing even in Europe.

Last edited:

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
So I guess Rielly's not going. If he was, surely there'd be announcement by now and he'd be in Vienna with the rest of the team?

Rielly and JVR not going is likely cause they have a minor injury. I know for sure Rielly will get future invites to play for team canada since if didn't have a legit reason to not go he would of gone.

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
and your point? I said this is by far the best team Canada has put together at this tournament..telling me the defense is weak doesn't change my opinion. Canada over the years has put together some mediocre teams based on players not accepting invites, injuries, or players still in the playoffs. Getting Crosby on this team with the group we already have is amazing.

my point is it will be harder to win games when the defense and goaltending isn't that good unless the forwards help out by making defensive plays.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
He opted out of this tournament 4 times (07,10,12,14) when his Penguin team mate Malkin went. Sid was healthy for the playoffs in all these years as he played the same amount of playoff games as Malkin. He just decided not to go for whatever reason. So Crosby doesn't go in all circumstances. Maybe the championship drought for Canada at this tournament isn't at 7 if Crosby decides to join the team one of those years.

He skips the Worlds just as much as anyone.

Considering he had an injured wrist in 2014 that almost required wrist surgery, I'd at least suggest taking 2014 off of your list...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad