Rumor: 2015 World Championships

mikebel111*

:facepalm: Oh please. If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to. No need to insult the guy but I guess that's the kind of guy you are.

It makes people feel better making fun of players

he had a bad season and like you said if he doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to

man people need to learn to respect the players and their decisions. seriously give Phil a break:shakehead

the good thing about Phil is he doesn't care what people think about him, you get what you see

I want him gone but I know he will come back with a bang next season on his new team

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
:facepalm: Oh please. If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to. No need to insult the guy but I guess that's the kind of guy you are.

If I can find a way to dump on Kessel I will. And there are so many obvious openings to do so.

Perhaps it is a different attitude when it comes to Americans and Swedes (and other Europeans) but when your teams season is over and the national team needs you, you answer the call.

There have been a lot of Swedes who either had a disappointing NHL season from an individual stand point or team perspective who went on to play for Tre Kronor and did so very well. And the players them self say it helps them for next season to try and end on a high note since they felt they had more to give that season.

There was however a period when Swedish NHL players usually did not play in the WC but that was for some beef with the management at the time.

Imo I think it says a lot about Kessels drive as a player that he never joins Team America for the World championship. A player like Jagr always play for the Czech republic when he is fit and he is over 40. He even said it was the best possible to stay in shape to prolong the season as long as possible and that it was more fun playing hockey games then doing fitness training. But I guess that is not something that even crossed Kessels mind since he does not do fitness training in the off season.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If I can find a way to dump on Kessel I will. And there are so many obvious openings to do so.

Perhaps it is a different attitude when it comes to Americans and Swedes (and other Europeans) but when your teams season is over and the national team needs you, you answer the call.

There have been a lot of Swedes who either had a disappointing NHL season from an individual stand point or team perspective who went on to play for Tre Kronor and did so very well. And the players them self say it helps them for next season to try and end on a high note since they felt they had more to give that season.

There was however a period when Swedish NHL players usually did not play in the WC but that was for some beef with the management at the time.

Imo I think it says a lot about Kessels drive as a player that he never joins Team America for the World championship. A player like Jagr always play for the Czech republic when he is fit and he is over 40. He even said it was the best possible to stay in shape to prolong the season as long as possible and that it was more fun playing hockey games then doing fitness training. But I guess that is not something that even crossed Kessels mind since he does not do fitness training in the off season.

Or maybe this was the worst year of his career and he has some mental issues to work through?

I don't see an issue with him not going any year. It's his time off, relax for a bit and do his thing. Except this summer he needs to reevaluate his dedication to the game.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Or maybe this was the worst year of his career and he has some mental issues to work through?

I don't see an issue with him not going any year. It's his time off, relax for a bit and do his thing. Except this summer he needs to reevaluate his dedication to the game.

Why not prepare your self and your body for an extended season (that would be the case if his NHL team made the playoffs). A good way to do that, get to play a full season +, is going to the World Championship after the regular season. It is not the ultimate way (playing in the playoffs of course is) but it is one good way offered to most every top player whose team misses out.

We can all make excuses for him about his lack of desire and drive to improve him self but every chance he gets to do more then what minimally is asked of him, he takes the chance to do something he find more fun instead.

My biggest criticism when we first got him was that I thought he was a bad character for a team because he lacked the drive to improve him self or do what it takes to win, even if that means pushing your self to the limit and score some dirty goals, play gritty etc. And he never done anything to make me rethink that, the opposite rather. He continue to reinforce the stereotype of him self as a slacker who only play when he think it is fun and who rather play cards, fish or golf then take his talents to another level.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

Bernier didn't say it, but LeBrun suspects it. He's pretty reliable.

dreger said this morning that bernier just had a baby not long ago which also is a reasonable excuse. one would have to think that given the season he had + his contract almost up he would want to generate as much buzz and value as possible.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
dreger said this morning that bernier just had a baby not long ago which also is a reasonable excuse. one would have to think that given the season he had + his contract almost up he would want to generate as much buzz and value as possible.

Unless he gets injured. Then he loses a fair bit of buzz and also a huge sum of potential money.

Players on expired contracts almost never go to the WC.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
Why not prepare your self and your body for an extended season (that would be the case if his NHL team made the playoffs). A good way to do that, get to play a full season +, is going to the World Championship after the regular season. It is not the ultimate way (playing in the playoffs of course is) but it is one good way offered to most every top player whose team misses out.

We can all make excuses for him about his lack of desire and drive to improve him self but every chance he gets to do more then what minimally is asked of him, he takes the chance to do something he find more fun instead.

My biggest criticism when we first got him was that I thought he was a bad character for a team because he lacked the drive to improve him self or do what it takes to win, even if that means pushing your self to the limit and score some dirty goals, play gritty etc. And he never done anything to make me rethink that, the opposite rather. He continue to reinforce the stereotype of him self as a slacker who only play when he think it is fun and who rather play cards, fish or golf then take his talents to another level.

No one's making excuses for the guy but leaf fans put unreleastic expectations of Phil Kessel. You make it sound like you wanted him to be leader, the captain, be vocal, be everything and he was never that person. Phil is not that kind of player, not everyone is. He was paid for his offence. For the record, I am disappointed with Phil this year and it's probably best to trade him to get assets for the rebuild but I'm not going to undervalue him because he apparently hurt your feelings and didn't meet your expectations.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Damn shame that it's Mike Smith going in Bernier's place. Looks like Canada won't be winning this year...

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
All these guys declining to go only emphasizes how uninterested they are playing the game of hockey. Kessel should have gone. This guy needs to prove to people wrong. Instead he nonchalantly declines and disappears until next September. It's too bad.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
All these guys declining to go only emphasizes how uninterested they are playing the game of hockey. Kessel should have gone. This guy needs to prove to people wrong. Instead he nonchalantly declines and disappears until next September. It's too bad.
There isn't a thing he could have done at this tournament to change people's opinion of him.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
There isn't a thing he could have done at this tournament to change people's opinion of him.

If he performed as well as he did at the olympics... that would definitely change some people's mind. If we saw that he could play well with quality line-mates... that could make a big difference.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not uncommon for star players to take the Worlds off .... I imagine Kessel wants some time to himself to figure things out - this would include about thinking of his future in the NHL. No doubt he'll need to submit a list of teams he'd be okay with being traded to.

If he performed as well as he did at the olympics... that would definitely change some people's mind. If we saw that he could play well with quality line-mates... that could make a big difference.

If it didn't change people's minds after the Olympics, it won't change their mind at the Worlds which the talent level is much less.. Besides he had a strong showing at the Olympics, and we have seen he can play well with a quality centre there

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

I don't think it would, nah.. But I do think it would go a long way for a player of his stature to make the decision to continue playing hockey, when they typically choose not to go.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not a chance, you'd hear the same "meaningless, second tier" hockey arguments you get anytime hianolympic performance is brought up.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
He didn't want the paparazzi to get pics of him stuffing his mouth with famous Czech pastries and headlines in the papers "Phil This!" or "Phil MyBelly!"

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014

I doubt it. If he ripped it up at the worlds everyone would be *****ing about why didn't he do that during the season.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
No one's making excuses for the guy but leaf fans put unreleastic expectations of Phil Kessel. You make it sound like you wanted him to be leader, the captain, be vocal, be everything and he was never that person. Phil is not that kind of player, not everyone is. He was paid for his offence. For the record, I am disappointed with Phil this year and it's probably best to trade him to get assets for the rebuild but I'm not going to undervalue him because he apparently hurt your feelings and didn't meet your expectations.

He actually exceeded my expectations. I never really thought he would be as productive that he has been. Everything else that he brought or rather did not bring was as expected, hence why I was against the trade from day 1.

What I wanted to have happened was that as the most talented guy on the team he would be the first on the ice at training and last one off the ice. That he would be some one who spent his summers doing what Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby or our own Nylander and Rielly does, training and taking care of them self by watching what they stuff in their mouths and not just rely on their birth given talents. Still plenty of time to enjoy your time off while doing so.

That would make him a leader in that he leads by example, do not care if he stayed quiet and never did an interview if that was the case. Then he would be doing his very best to improve him self and thus the team. And that is even more valuable then being a vocal leader. If he is not comfortable in being one he should not be one. But being paid what he is he better damn do his utmost to be a role model for the younger players.

And yeah, after so many years as a pro one would expect a bit more improvement in his defensive game. Not that he is showing very clear that he has no interest in chasing the puck, he is rather poor at doing so when forced to.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If I'm a professional, I have an obligation to my employee to do my job.

But do I really have an obligation to do my job on a volunteer basis for an organization that represents the geographical territory in which I was born?

Frankly, I prefer players who play for the Leafs to play for the Leafs and that's it. I never understand why some fans get all worked up about these stupid two-three week tournaments with teams that are just thrown together.

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012
Normally players like to extend the season and play for their country and "redeem" them self after a poor showing in the NHL. But I guess they dont get paid enough for Phil to be interested. And he have a golf swing to improve as well. And golf is played at a walking pace without any one trying to hit you or steal your ball, perfect sport for The thrill.

-34 also is very good in golf....

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Cool story. Go Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad