2015 OHL Draft (Part 2)

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Youngblood.. Who's your personal preference out of Gilmour, Meireless and Gallant?

Meireless slightly over Gilmour. He just offers a more dynamic game and his progression over the course of the year has been pretty impressive. No slight to Gilmour either because he's a tremendous player with great two-way upside and loads of intangibles. BG reminds me a big of Barron from last season in that sense

Id expect Davis to go fairly high. Where do people expect guys like Gallant, Ratcliffe, Jones, and Suzuki go?

All of those guys should be first round selections....

I know the scout.ca has their list of the top 150 out but 28 of the 39 kids playing in th U.S have committed to NCAA teams.
Wouldn't mind seeing a list that has available players from Ontario ranked

TheScout.ca recently released our new March rankings. Just to keep record of my own rankings, I will post my personal rankings prior to the draft. Due to limited views on most of the Americans this year, I won't have many (outside those I've got several viewsings of) listed in these rankings.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Id expect Davis to go fairly high. Where do people expect guys like Gallant, Ratcliffe, Jones, and Suzuki go?

I've heard the Knights have talked to Suzuki, but I'm sure that's normal with most teams and potential draftees. Would love to see Ratcliffe in London but doubt he drops that far. Gallant should be top 10, Ratcliffe and Jones top 15.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I've heard the Knights have talked to Suzuki, but I'm sure that's normal with most teams and potential draftees. Would love to see Ratcliffe in London but doubt he drops that far. Gallant should be top 10, Ratcliffe and Jones top 15.

I think Ratcliffe has NorthBay or OwenSound written all over him. Big and can skate.

icehky1973

Dec 15, 2014
I noticed that there is very little mention of kids from 30-60, and in the past this group to seem to be the late developers that excel at the next level.
Can I get some insight on who may be the unpolished gems...

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I noticed that there is very little mention of kids from 30-60, and in the past this group to seem to be the late developers that excel at the next level.
Can I get some insight on who may be the unpolished gems...

It's an odd year this year. With little concensus between scouts lists we are going to see a lot of "whoa, he went high" or "whoa, why wasn't he picked earlier" so predicting that 30-60 range becomes very difficult - more so than in previous years.

Some guys that I have personally in that range who have good potential (most do :)) include:

Macauley Carson (BAR), Jack Phibbs (STA), Robbie Burt (MRebs), Calvin Davis (PBO), Cedric Ralpa (PBO), Austen Keating (GUE), Zach Jackson (TTit), Nick Deakin-Poot (HAL), Cory Andonovski (YSE), Hudson Wilson (VK), Mack Hancock (KGN), Ben Evans (STA), Ryan MacGregor (STA), Connor Ali (BRAM)

icehky1973

Dec 15, 2014
Dean those are all good names and have potential to be in the 3-6 rounds, there was mention of some like M.Frost and A.Formentton ,Martin, these are the kids that are in the background but without them some of the players on their teams would not be as successful.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Dean those are all good names and have potential to be in the 3-6 rounds, there was mention of some like M.Frost and A.Formentton ,Martin, these are the kids that are in the background but without them some of the players on their teams would not be as successful.

No one is in the background and they may or may not be in my top 60 ;). Trust me, they're appreciated

Players will fall into lists as scouts feel fit. No slight to any of them but there are guys who are just rightfully ahead of them.

Lots of good talent out there

rhinomark50

Aug 22, 2014
Where does Mitchell Crevatin from Sun County stand? He has looked extremely good in the 2 games he has played with Leamington in the last month. He's not going to get the opportunity Henderson got last season to raise his stock, but he definitely has not looked out of place in either game. Is he a mid-round guy?

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Where does Mitchell Crevatin from Sun County stand? He has looked extremely good in the 2 games he has played with Leamington in the last month. He's not going to get the opportunity Henderson got last season to raise his stock, but he definitely has not looked out of place in either game. Is he a mid-round guy?

Ya I'd guess 6-8 for him.

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013

No one is in the background and they may or may not be in my top 60 ;). Trust me, they're appreciated

I have no idea why parents seem to think that scouts don't pay attention to non 'stars'. Its like there is some sort of insecurity within them that they feel that if they don't talk up, their kid won't get noticed. Scouts go to 100's of games a year for a reason guys, they don't just watch one player.

Also, I think some parents really don't appreciate how hard it is to play in the OHL. My kid was a high scorer, smart, good size and didn't make it. His teammates, the 'support' guys, didn't make it. Its very hard, you need to have a very high skill regardless of the role that you play.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I have no idea why parents seem to think that scouts don't pay attention to non 'stars'. Its like there is some sort of insecurity within them that they feel that if they don't talk up, their kid won't get noticed. Scouts go to 100's of games a year for a reason guys, they don't just watch one player.

Also, I think some parents really don't appreciate how hard it is to play in the OHL. My kid was a high scorer, smart, good size and didn't make it. His teammates, the 'support' guys, didn't make it. Its very hard, you need to have a very high skill regardless of the role that you play.

This exactly, seems like theres been a little more of that stuff this year then in past OHL Draft threads. Maybe, maybe not.

On a related note is Missy taking McLeod in the 2-4 range reaching high on him just cause he's a sure fire commit + Mikey's brother. I get the whole brother and local kid thing the Steelheads have had the past couple seasons but if we pass on Tippet, Levin or others just cause of the bloodlines would they be making a HUGE mistake?

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
This exactly, seems like theres been a little more of that stuff this year then in past OHL Draft threads. Maybe, maybe not.

On a related note is Missy taking McLeod in the 2-4 range reaching high on him just cause he's a sure fire commit + Mikey's brother. I get the whole brother and locaol kid thing the Steelheads have had the past couple seasons but if we pass on Tippet, Levin or others just cause of the bloodlines would they be making a HUGE mistake?

I would think its pretty safe to assume Missy takes McLeod come draft day. He hasnt always looked the best in league play, even though he has a lot of skill. Consistency has been an issue. But, at the Winter Games, he really stepped up. Showed how good he can be.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Hearing Sudbury is really high on Levin, Tippett has apparently been to the city, don't know about Levin, anyone know if he has been here yet?

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013

It is more, I can see how so many people get upset with parents now, they do not come off well on here.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Just to add more on top of Rossy's list of guys in the 60-120 range, which is very good. Personally I'm a big fan of Carson and Andonovski. I feel Andonovski could be a surprise next year to some. These guys aren't locks for the top 6 rounds but I feel that's the area they fall into: Del Zotto (JRC), Campoli (JRC), Celotti (JRC), Kimens (Toronto Titans), Martin (London), (Vinogradov), Mchugh (67's), Castleman (67's), Horvath (OVT), Bisson (OVT), Fraser (OVT), Wainman (Petes), Frost (Barrie), Misley (Don Mills), Cocca (Don Mills), Garagan (NYR), Sharir-Smith (Nats), Kellenburger (Nats), Schnarr (Waterloo), Cowen (EMC), Pearce (EMC), Struthers (Halton), Waters (Halton), Landry (Huron Perth). I realize that's a lot of names but those are some guys who don't get talked about as much that I've liked in my viewings off of the top of my head. Missed many more too.

valleyboy

Feb 10, 2015
Clarity

Many highly rated OHL prospects play or played for their high school hockey teams. That is why I provided the link and schedule for the OFSAA finals Pembroke tourney.

It is good hockey for the most part. Ice time is ice time and even the Elite level kids have friends and lives that extend beyond their main hockey team. It's also a good venue for scouts to see younger prospects play against older kids. An example of that would be expected top five NHL pick Dylan Strome. I believe he participated at OFSAA Hockey finals while at Lorne Park - not sure on the year. Probably three years ago when he was in grade 9.

The most recent area kid that comes to mind is former OV Titan - Tye Felhaber (saginaw) - he is having a fantastic year. Really nice hockey player. I saw him play in a tournament in Renfrew last year with his high school. Easily one of the top kids in the tournament. Later in the year he played tier 11 jr. A a bit with Pembroke so he couldn't participate in the later area high school qualifier tournaments.

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
It is good hockey for the most part. Ice time is ice time and even the Elite level kids have friends and lives that extend beyond their main hockey team. It's also a good venue for scouts to see younger prospects play against older kids.

With all due respect, the BOLD part comes off as promotion, suggesting that Scouts should go.

If there is one player who's high end playing, perhaps OHL FANS would want to hear about it, but how is it any different then the OEMHL? Its like the AA stuff you brought up, it has no real value to OHL fans. They simply just want to talk about the players, not have promotional material thrown at them.

As an aside, my kid and his teammates where not allowed to play High school hockey. I think that was the same for most Ottawa area AAA players. So again, unless organizations have done a 180, not sure the relevance.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Many highly rated OHL prospects play or played for their high school hockey teams. That is why I provided the link and schedule for the OFSAA finals Pembroke tourney.

It is good hockey for the most part. Ice time is ice time and even the Elite level kids have friends and lives that extend beyond their main hockey team. It's also a good venue for scouts to see younger prospects play against older kids. An example of that would be expected top five NHL pick Dylan Strome. I believe he participated at OFSAA Hockey finals while at Lorne Park - not sure on the year. Probably three years ago when he was in grade 9.

The most recent area kid that comes to mind is former OV Titan - Tye Felhaber (saginaw) - he is having a fantastic year. Really nice hockey player. I saw him play in a tournament in Renfrew last year with his high school. Easily one of the top kids in the tournament. Later in the year he played tier 11 jr. A a bit with Pembroke so he couldn't participate in the later area high school qualifier tournaments.

Really??? Highdraft prospects have time to commit to HS hockey?? I don't follow HS but would really be surprised if that were indeed the case. No AAA players that I know of around here (Ottawa) play and having played 3 years in the O way back in the '80s I can assure you I cant ever remember teammates or opponents ever playing HS hockey. Now are there rare exceptions??? Sure there are but dowbt it warrants scouts attending this event. But hey....prove me wrong (wouldn't be the first time::)

valleyboy

Feb 10, 2015
Prove you wrong? I thought Dylan Strome and Tye Felhaber were pretty good examples.

People can do their own homework and look at the lineups/rosters.

For me its as simple as possibly watching the next Claude Giroux from the Hearst area or a kid with golden gloves from Fort Francis... they aren't in town that often.

cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad