2015 OHL Draft (Part 2)

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
Don't have a list but a couple of general comments. Be weary of the hype. This age group not a lot separates first rounder from sixth rounders. Like the 98's has any so called impact player in the 98 group scored over ten goals this season in the OHL? Again its all about future potential when drafting and development. You want a few names of kids overlooked? I can do that.

No axe grinding about his kid not getting mentioned here at all......

And we've been over the 98s, but you chose not to respond...

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ian Blacker would have a good chance for top 5 without his commitment. I prefer hmslightly over Davis

Vilardi, Levin, Tippett and also McLeod (still a step behind the former players IMO. Looked good at the Canada Games though. Nice to see him put up points) are your top Ontario forwards but don't could out Gilmour or Meireles either.

US skaters Farrance and Pastujov have top 5 talent but will fall

Agreed Blacker is #1 Dman in Ontario. So mobile for his size and has smarts. If Im GM no chance in hell, I pass on Levin. Imo u dont pass on his IQ and how that breaks down into his game and how that can help him adjust and succeed more than his peers. He can reach a level that no one else can when he wants too.

Tipper, Vilardi and Mcleod I think are in the same category. Mcleod may come with an asterisk if u judge his club team play and at times the lack of motor, plays to the outside. But he has the best wheels in the draft by far, 6-1 and has skill. Id take Zack Gallantt, Ben Jones and Hayden Davis next over a few of the smaller forwards. 11-20 is where the draft is gonna get really interesting. A few names mentioned around here will fall.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Haven't seen his name mentioned but keep an eye on Jack Studnicka from Belle Tire. Low this kids game and I think he's going to be something special.

Studnicka has Round 1 talent in my opinion. I like Logan Cockerill also, he can be electric with the puck, he was hard to deal with on the rush @ Silver Sticks. He has an extra gear that surprises people, Shifty, explosive and good hands.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Agreed Blacker is #1 Dman in Ontario. So mobile for his size and has smarts. If Im GM no chance in hell, I pass on Levin. Imo u dont pass on his IQ and how that breaks down into his game and how that can help him adjust and succeed more than his peers. He can reach a level that no one else can when he wants too.

Tipper, Vilardi and Mcleod I think are in the same category. Mcleod may come with an asterisk if u judge his club team play and at times the lack of motor, plays to the outside. But he has the best wheels in the draft by far, 6-1 and has skill. Id take Zack Gallantt, Ben Jones and Hayden Davis next over a few of the smaller forwards. 11-20 is where the draft is gonna get really interesting. A few names mentioned around here will fall.

What can ya tell me about Gallant? I've read a little bit... Do you think his offensive game translates well to the OHL level? I've had one person say to me think Sean Monahan without the elite level offensive game.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013

Could not agree more with your assessment, Levin is a must for the Wolves, his storyline alone will put people in their seats. Blaine is well aware of David Levin and the cons against letting him slip through the cracks.Sudbury fans are starving for a dynamic player like Levin and his creativity with the puck that will bring fans to their feet. Wolves fans will make him feel 10 feet tall in this city and Blaine knows this. Count him a sure bet in a Wolves Jersey next season.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Could not agree more with your assessment, Levin is a must for the Wolves, his storyline alone will put people in their seats. Blaine is well aware of David Levin and the cons against letting him slip through the cracks.Sudbury fans are starving for a dynamic player like Levin and his creativity with the puck that will bring fans to their feet. Wolves fans will make him feel 10 feet tall in this city and Blaine knows this. Count him a sure bet in a Wolves Jersey next season.

Agreed. Once Levin was made eligible for this draft it changed things around at the top of this draft. Tippett would have gone 1st to Sudbury if Levin was not available. Now that Levin is available and eligible, I think he's too good to be passed on. Looking forward to seeing how Levin dominates the OHL cup.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What can ya tell me about Gallant? I've read a little bit... Do you think his offensive game translates well to the OHL level? I've had one person say to me think Sean Monahan without the elite level offensive game.

Gallant is big, physical forward, with some skill, chips in offensively, kills penalities very well and is great with Burt on the PK with the Rebels and was on the #1 unit for Team Ontario. I dont think anyone with his size and skill, has his motor, hence his value from my perspective.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011

Levin's my #1 too. Vilardi quickly moving up - feet are somewhat concerning but outside of Levin, no one has his vision

Studnicka has Round 1 talent in my opinion. I like Logan Cockerill also, he can be electric with the puck, he was hard to deal with on the rush @ Silver Sticks. He has an extra gear that surprises people, Shifty, explosive and good hands.

Good to hear ML. Cockerill was excellent in my viewings as well. Ideally, I'd want more viewings of BT but both are very attractive. I've been pushing Studnicka hard but really think he's better than some others who are listed inside the first round on these lists. We'll call it a geographical or sample size bias for now :)

I'm glad McLeod had a good Winter Games but I've seen so many different sides of this player that he has me scared to rank him too high haha. Clearly he has high-end fundamentals but the lack of productivity against his own league mates for the majority of the season shouldn't go unnoticed. It's fun projecting this group of 99s

scoreagoalnow

Dec 1, 2014
No axe grinding about his kid not getting mentioned here at all......

And we've been over the 98s, but you chose not to respond...

GT, who are you the referee? Add something of substance once in a while. Why are you always the first to respond if you feel the poster isn't a scout/advisor. Are you the self-proclaimed know it all or are you looking to make friends? Why exactly are you on here? I thought your boy was a 96. No one else has a right to say anything but you. The poster didn't criticize anyone.

scoreagoalnow

Dec 1, 2014
Gallant is big, physical forward, with some skill, chips in offensively, kills penalities very well and is great with Burt on the PK with the Rebels and was on the #1 unit for Team Ontario. I dont think anyone with his size and skill, has his motor, hence his value from my perspective.

You can't go wrong with Gallant. He's also a star baseball player and has no fear. There's pedigree there also. His uncle was close to playing for the Habs years back.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
So is it safe to assume that if the 4 teams currently out of a playoff spot finish that way, that it goes;
Levin - Sudbury
McLeod - Missy
Vilardi - Flint
Tippett - Saginaw

Then maybe Blacker or Davis to Windsor and Gilmour to the Petes?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
So is it safe to assume that if the 4 teams currently out of a playoff spot finish that way, that it goes;
Levin - Sudbury
McLeod - Missy
Vilardi - Flint
Tippett - Saginaw

That would make the most sense however Sudbury is so off the chart this year who knows who they will take, if they were to pass on Levin the fans would just give up on the organization.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

Deffinetly an intriguing prospect from the sounds of things just not sure the Petes would target that type of player in round one. Hopefully I am wrong :nod:

Last edited:

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

I agree Cockerill is an elite talent and was the top forward, besides Levin at the Silver Sticks. I think he is a sure fire NTDP player but if he ever did commit to the OHL, he would be the top forward besides Pastujov IMO. Btw, I haven't seen Pastujov since last year so I'm just going off of what I saw last year and from what I have heard.

There isn't a bigger game breaker out there better than Cockerill IMO. He is just more unknown because he plays on Belle Tire and they don't get up here all that often.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Levin - Sudbury
McLeod - Missy
Vilardi - Flint
Tippett - Saginaw

With Blacker's commitment it's unlikely he goes Top 10. Just a guess

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I agree Cockerill is an elite talent and was the top forward, besides Levin at the Silver Sticks. I think he is a sure fire NTDP player but if he ever did commit to the OHL, he would be the top forward besides Pastujov IMO. Btw, I haven't seen Pastujov since last year so I'm just going off of what I saw last year and from what I have heard.

There isn't a bigger game breaker out there better than Cockerill IMO. He is just more unknown because he plays on Belle Tire and they don't get up here all that often.

Maybe, though Thescout.ca doesn't rank according to commitment, and they have Cockerill ranked in the 60s.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Youngblood.. Who's your personal preference out of Gilmour, Meireless and Gallant?

Im hoping Peterborough prefers Meireless. It would be great to see Gilmour go to the Bulls. A real home town star would be fun to watch. I think Saginaw might go with Gilmour though.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Im hoping Peterborough prefers Meireless. It would be great to see Gilmour go to the Bulls. A real home town star would be fun to watch. I think Saginaw might go with Gilmour though.

That would be cool for sure, I'm worried that Miereless is too similar to the Petes first rounder from last season Jonathan Ang.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012

I would expect Saginaw to pick in the top 3 and would be shocked if they passed on Levin or Tippett if Missy takes McLeod. Anything is possible I guess but I'd be surprised. Gilmour to Windsor maybe then? Meireless to the Petes?

Grinder1999

Apr 24, 2014
I know the scout.ca has their list of the top 150 out but 28 of the 39 kids playing in th U.S have committed to NCAA teams.
Wouldn't mind seeing a list that has available players from Ontario ranked.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Id expect Davis to go fairly high. Where do people expect guys like Gallant, Ratcliffe, Jones, and Suzuki go?

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
And does anyone expect any Americans to go in the first round?

Also, I really like Phillips game on the backend. Should be interesting to see where he goes on draft day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad