2015 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I would love to get one of the QMJHL defensemen. It would be amazing if one of Chabot, Zboril, Meloche, or Roy was available with one of our 2nd's. Roy and Chabot are a bit of a longshot, but I really like Chabot. Reminds me of Despres.

A lot of good defenseman will be available with our 2nds.

I love Meloche and would do flips if we could get him in the 2nd. Same with Beauvillier.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I dont think Crouse is a safe pick. You're almost going to have to completely ignore what he is atm and predict what he will be in the future. Most players you can at least back up with what they'll become based on what they already are. Crouse isnt an elite OHL player but you're hoping he becomes an elite NHL player.

If you mean safe in the sense that he'll crack the NHL probably as a 4th liner no matter what when guys like konecny could outright bust then i agree.

Don't lose sight of the fact he still looked very solid on a WJC squad as a draft eligible, and beat out a number of more prolific offensive players for that spot, including Del Colle.

While I question his upside to a degree, the overall quality of his game is solid across the board and he will get better. He is actually quite similar to Nick Paul to some degree, although more advanced at the same age. Still a quassi-project but a safe bet for a 3rd liner worst case IMO. Not all 1st round picks can you say that about.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Don't lose sight of the fact he still looked very solid on a WJC squad as a draft eligible, and beat out a number of more prolific offensive players for that spot, including Del Colle.

While I question his upside to a degree, the overall quality of his game is solid across the board and he will get better. He is actually quite similar to Nick Paul to some degree, although more advanced at the same age. Still a quassi-project but a safe bet for a 3rd liner worst case IMO. Not all 1st round picks can you say that about.

I agree with alot of what you're saying, however I'm not sure that making TC over someone is a good model of comparison because Team Canada tends to take role playing guys for the 4th line. For example there's no way Gauthier is better than Dal Colle.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
The team is pretty solid defensively, Methot getting re-signed sets the top 4 for the next handful of years so I dont think we need a defenseman either.

In goal they are all right but should probably use one of those seconds or thirds to get some more depth.

What the Sens are sorely lacking is a high end speed and skill gamebreaker type player.

Using the past two drafts as an example, players like Lindholm, Domi, Nichuskin, Dal Colle, Virtanen, Nylander, or Ehlers fit the bill.

I dont even think it has to be a center, although thats preferable. Theres nothing wrong with having three scoring lines and pushing someone like Mac or Stone down to the third.

Strome, Marner, and Zacha are who I'd target this draft.

Hopefully this isnt taken wrong, but im also kind of happy in some respects that Murray is stepping down after the season. I think while the no Russian rule hasnt hurt us too bad in the past (even though it could be argued that we got lucky with Turris and couldve had Tarasenko to start with) a lot of the Russians the pasy few years have been insanely talented skill wise.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The team is pretty solid defensively, Methot getting re-signed sets the top 4 for the next handful of years so I dont think we need a defenseman either.

In goal they are all right but should probably use one of those seconds or thirds to get some more depth.

What the Sens are sorely lacking is a high end speed and skill gamebreaker type player.

Using the past two drafts as an example, players like Lindholm, Domi, Nichuskin, Dal Colle, Virtanen, Nylander, or Ehlers fit the bill.

I dont even think it has to be a center, although thats preferable. Theres nothing wrong with having three scoring lines and pushing someone like Mac or Stone down to the third.

Strome, Marner, and Zacha are who I'd target this draft.

Hopefully this isnt taken wrong, but im kind of happy in some respects that Murray is stepping down after the season. I think while the no Russian rule hasnt hurt us too bad in the past (even though it could be argued that we got lucky with Turris and couldve had Tarasenko to start with) if the scouting staff decides that Zacha is the BPA and we skip over him due to Murrays grudges, I would be pissed.

Zacha is Czech

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Zacha is also the same size as Crouse, is able to play physical, and also more skilled.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Zacha is also the same size as Crouse, is able to play physical, and also more skilled.

To an extent. Not quite as physical, and frankly, he's never put up big numbers at any level. Passes the eye test from a skill perspective more than Crouse, but at some point, you do expect him to produce a bit more.

Might end up more like a Bobby Holik / Radek Bonk type, which is a solid top 6 forward, but upside still remains a question. Everyone likes him it seems, just not likely a home run pick. But not a lot of homeruns once you get close to 10th overall though, so I'm sure he'll get picked right around where we draft.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
To an extent. Not quite as physical, and frankly, he's never put up big numbers at any level. Passes the eye test from a skill perspective more than Crouse, but at some point, you do expect him to produce a bit more.

Might end up more like a Bobby Holik / Radek Bonk type, which is a solid top 6 forward, but upside still remains a question. Everyone likes him it seems, just not likely a home run pick. But not a lot of homeruns once you get close to 10th overall though, so I'm sure he'll get picked right around where we draft.

if we want to take a chance on a home run we should draft konecny

BigBush*

I agree with this. His reasons for falling into the 10-15 range seems to be because he's struggled with a concussion earlier in the year, and he's playing on an Ottawa team that is struggling to score. He seems to be rebounding nicely though and has been playing great lately.
He could fall right into our drafting range (around 10th). I'd also be really happy with some of the D that could be available

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Really starting to like the idea of picking Dante Salituro with a 3rd or 4th round pick.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I agree with this. His reasons for falling into the 10-15 range seems to be because he's struggled with a concussion earlier in the year, and he's playing on an Ottawa team that is struggling to score. He seems to be rebounding nicely though and has been playing great lately.
He could fall right into our drafting range (around 10th). I'd also be really happy with some of the D that could be available

If we do end up picking 10th or a bit later, I'd also be quite satisfied if we drafted Konecny. Guy's got skill up the wazoo and that inherent leadership quality that is very rare among his brethren.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Anyone catch the Kingston game tonight? Crouse appears to have had a nice game.

watched his game vs against erie and he wasnt very good offensively. He didnt stand out as an elite OHL player but then again Erie is a beast

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

I actually think Barzal and Merkley might have a bit more upside as true scoring line centermen, but Konecny is worth consideration. But as a small feisty winger, I think he is more likely to end up like a Clark MacArthur type, albeit a bit more dynamic. Jeff Skinner might be another comparable NHL player.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
I would like to target one of Konecny, or Barzal, or Strome, or Marner. Depends on where we are picking

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I think Konecny would be a great pick, even in top 10. Wearing the C for the 67s and for Team Canada at the Under 18's is always a good sign. His game is so well rounded, he's on smaller side but doesn't shy away from physical play, competes at all times, can play in all situations and is so versatile, being able to play centre or the wing, and has played the point on the powerplay.

All that's keeping him outside the top 10 in my opinion is his rough start, 2 goals in 16 games. Dealing with a concussion and playing on such a young team didn't help his cause, but if you watched him play you saw the compete level and knew the stats would come. He's since been one of the best players in the OHL, including at the prospect game, and has 19 goals and 37 points in his last 29 games [plus two goals in the prospects game]. It's no coincidence the 67s have been one of the hottest teams of late since Konecny got going.

Jeff Skinner is a pretty good comparison, both on the smaller side but very strong on the puck, good speed and like to use their wrist shots. I think Skinner is more of a shooter whereas Konecny seems equally likely to pass or shoot. I also think Konecny is more of a complete player at this age, but Skinner's goal scoring ability might've been the best of his age group at the time.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Anyone else planning on watching the Erie-Ottawa game that's showing this afternoon on SN?

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Really starting to like the idea of picking Dante Salituro with a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Theres a really solid chance he doesn't even get drafted. Almost every scouting report has him in the 7th round or later (ie undrafted)

Jeremiah Addison is the other 67 in the draft Id love to get (other then Konecny obviously.) Addison is a big physical player who's just scratching the surface of his abilities.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
After a few viewings of him in WJC and OHL games, I don't feel we should take Lawson Crouse with our 1st pick (probably anywhere 5-10th, I think). He is got size, speed and decent hands, but I feel the big wingers like him can be had in the later rounds with certain things to work on (like skating, strength). In this particular year, since there are some high end skill guys, we should go for high end skills in the first round, that is a game breaker. And Centres and Left Hand D should be our priority, of course we can the best player available, but high end skills are what open up games in the NHL these days.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
Theres a really solid chance he doesn't even get drafted. Almost every scouting report has him in the 7th round or later (ie undrafted)

Jeremiah Addison is the other 67 in the draft Id love to get (other then Konecny obviously.) Addison is a big physical player who's just scratching the surface of his abilities.

Maybe a good comparable to Salituro would be Spencer Watson.I think he'll get picked up at least in the 7th round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad