2015 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Agree. I think both fall into (unless Zibby takes another big leap) the category of very good #2C's, less than ideal #1C's. It presents an interesting dilema. Do you roll with it and augment the wingers spots to compensate? Do you go **** out for a #1 C and have unreal C depth? Do you move one for a true #1 C?

I don't know that I have the right answer - but I would hate to move either one as I think they can be pieces of a winning team. Zibby taking another step forward next year would be cool. He's already good though.

I think this is one of the biggest things the team is likely grappling with long-term. Do we have all the pieces needed at center to compete for a Cup? There is certainly depth, but not sure on having a bonafide #1 center.

With Turris, he is our best center and we know what we have. He might improve a bit more, but we know what we have there - a really good 2nd line center who is overall pretty good at everything, albeit a bit undersized. Can be a #1 center in a pinch, but probably not in a long Cup run going against the league's best.

In Zbad, his upside is a bit higher and his recent chemistry with Ryan is encouraging. He plays a more power game, has higher goal scoring potential and could be a great compliment to Turris given his style and different style. They could move him to wing if a better top line center emerges.

Lazar could be a solid #2, or might just be a better winger, but I don't think anyone likely sees him as a #1 center with superior offensive upside to Turris and Zib. He might top out similarly offensively with a better all around game, but time will tell. Having them 1-2-3 could be terrific. Pageau is in the same boat, and might push Lazar to the wing at some point because of his.

All that said, drafting a Strome, Merkley, Zacha or Barzal at center would give us a player that perhaps as higher upside than what we have right now and might give us an asset to trade or another skilled forward to move to the wing. Certainly Zibby, Lazar or Pageau could always move to the wing in a pinch, although Pageau is the most likely to remain at center long-term. And we could be patient with the center for a few years, with no rush to make the team.

I'm ok with a potential top line winger or top pairing d-man pick, but I always lean towards centers all things being equal.

Last edited:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Mathew Barzal should be back fairly soon.

The Thunderbirds have been on a rampage lately, so I can only imagine what his point totals for the 2nd half are going to look like.

I was hoping he would be out longer, so that he might fall into range of a mid-late first, which I think Ottawa will acquire before the draft.

Jordan Greenway is also looking like he could fall to the second round. If we could snag him with one of our seconds, I would be ecstatic.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Mathew Barzal should be back fairly soon.

The Thunderbirds have been on a rampage lately, so I can only imagine what his point totals for the 2nd half are going to look like.

I was hoping he would be out longer, so that he might fall into range of a mid-late first, which I think Ottawa will acquire before the draft.

He's been back for 6 games now. Already had a 4 point night against the Cougars.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
If we stay within the 8-10ish range, I'd hope the organization gets over the "Russian thing" and strongly considers Provorov.

This kid seems awesome. 2-way guy who just "gets it" and it putting up a point per game (I believe as a rookie?).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Give me which ever one of the top 4 defensemen (Hanifin, Werenski, Kylington, Provorov) is available at our pick and our scouting staff thinks is the best.

I'd much rather pick a potential top pairing defenseman with our pick than a potential top line forward. Top pairing D are just so much more valuable. A lot easier to trade for a top line forward too.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Give me which ever one of the top 4 defensemen (Hanifin, Werenski, Kylington, Provorov) is available at our pick and our scouting staff thinks is the best.

I'd much rather pick a potential top pairing defenseman with our pick than a potential top line forward. Top pairing D are just so much more valuable. A lot easier to trade for a top line forward too.

I actually think otherwise. We picked Ceci, Cowen and Karlsson and Englund (2nd but we didn't have a 1rst) in recent history with our first round picks and defensemen usually take longer than forwards to develop at their full potential. We already have Karlsson as #1 and Ceci and Cowen who are going to be pretty good or atleast Ceci and we still have good support guys like Gryba, Borowiecki, Wiercioch and Claesson and Englund coming. I'd rather try to get a legitimate top line center gamebreaker since we don't have one at the moment and we already have Karlsson on D.

Edit: I think the Methot signing may also play a part in this decision thoo

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So who are the risers and fallers after the 1st half?

Konecny keeps falling, He should be a great pickup at and will likely go near 20. Zborils stock seems to have gone up since the juniors.

Edit:Forgot about Cernak... Was sloted in the 2nd or even 3rd at the beginning of the year and people put him in the late 1rst now. Also Aho has been passed last year because of size but this year he should go in the 2nd round, he's too good. Jesper Lindgren is Karlsson 2.0.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Speaking of risers is anyone else surprised that Timashov seemingly hasn't done anything but fall in the rankings since the preseason?

He's grown to 5'10, 187 pounds now which is decent for a player of his offensive ability (17 goals, 54 assists in 48 games). I wouldn't mind picking him up with a later round pick if he's still available.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Crouse will go later than that. It's like some sites put Kylington on the 3rd spot before Strome and Hanifin.

For Timashov, He's just small, I think that's the problem. 4 months ago he was penciled at 5'8''. He's a perimeter player also and maybe because he's not responsible defensively. He's good be he needs to be played with responsible players in order to be truly effective since he isn't thus far. Most players in the Q are like that thoo, so size/strenght is mostly the big thing there.

Last edited:

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Crouse will go later than that. It's like some sites put Kylington on the 3rd spot before Strome and Hanifin.

For Timashov, He's just small, I think that's the problem. 4 months ago he was penciled at 5'8''. He's a perimeter player also and maybe because he's not responsible defensively. He's good be he needs to be played with responsible players in order to be truly effective since he isn't thus far. Most players in the Q are like that thoo, so size is mostly the big thing there.

He's bigger than Konecny as of now, and even if he is not the greatest defensively (which I definitely noticed in his play, although I'm waiting to watch him a few more times before I make a final judgement) you'd think his offensive upside alone would make him worth a second.

Also I wouldn't really call him a perimeter player, he's not overly physical but he's elusive enough to play in traffic and isn't afraid to throw a big hit if the opportunity presents itself..

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Speaking of risers is anyone else surprised that Timashov seemingly hasn't done anything but fall in the rankings since the preseason?

He's grown to 5'10, 187 pounds now which is decent for a player of his offensive ability (17 goals, 54 assists in 48 games). I wouldn't mind picking him up with a later round pick if he's still available.

Hows his skating? 187 pounds is pretty solid.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Hows his skating? 187 pounds is pretty solid.

His top speed is good and he can reach it quickly, not as explosive as a player like Konecny but he's still very capable of surprising defenders. He has excellent footwork too, which leads to very good elusiveness/shiftiness and puck retention.

Edit: Also for anyone wondering Timashov isn't Russian. He's a Ukrainian-born Swedish citizen so there actually is a chance we might pick him.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
His top speed is good and he can reach it quickly, not as explosive as a player like Konecny but he's still very capable of surprising defenders. He has excellent footwork too, which leads to very good elusiveness/shiftiness and puck retention.

Edit: Also for anyone wondering Timashov isn't Russian. He's a Ukrainian-born Swedish citizen so there actually is a chance we might pick him.

Welcome to the team kid.:laugh:

Have you seen him play much? Has he just been feeding assists off of Erne, or is he that good of a playmaker?

Normally when I see a player with a stat line like that in junior I get a little suspicious of them just being a product of their linemates.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

I think there is a better chance than not, that all four of those guys will be gone by the team we draft. I think they will all go in the top 8 or 9 or so. Might be one left on the board.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
Yup, McDavid could go down with a concussion and Eichel could light it up. Anything can happen. Saying McDavid is the clear number 1 is simply incorrect.

Not since Sidney Crosby, has there been a consensus number one pick.

Saying McDavid is the clear number 1 is simply what 99.99 percent of the scouts are saying today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad