2015 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

since92

May 9, 2011
Lawson Crouse has 23 points in 32 games by the way. :/

Admittedly I haven't watched Crouse live yet. Most scouting reports suggest you should look past his point totals when evaluating him. Some compare his top end potential to a Lucic or Neal type power winger. Both put up near ppg numbers in their draft years however. Crouse has come up short in that regard but he plays a big game and can be iced in all situations. Very versatile. I see him as an identity player, someone who would look good on Boston or Philly. He's probably a safer pick but might top out on the 2/3rd line in a shut down forward roll.

I personally rather swing for the fence in this draft and grab a skilled game breaker with our first. Maybe take a stab at Brock Boeser with one our 2nds if we covet a PF type.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Admittedly I haven't watched Crouse live yet. Most scouting reports suggest you should look past his point totals when evaluating him. Some compare his top end potential to a Lucic or Neal type power winger. Both put up near ppg numbers in their draft years however. Crouse has come up short in that regard but he plays a big game and can be iced in all situations. Very versatile. I see him as an identity player, someone who would look good on Boston or Philly. He's probably a safer pick but might top out on the 2/3rd line in a shut down forward roll.

I personally rather swing for the fence in this draft and grab a skilled game breaker with our first. Maybe take a stab at Brock Boeser with one our 2nds if we covet a PF type.

Actually, Lucic only put up 20pts in his draft year, and Neal 44.

He's already eclipsed Lucic's totals, and us on pace to top Neal's as well.

If it's anything like the 2012 Draft, we should know within a month, who we have serious interest in.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'll laugh if we draft kylington. Another polarizing player that I bet half of us will hate. And the other half will love.

Win the draft lotto or bust.

since92

May 9, 2011
Actually, Lucic only put up 20pts in his draft year, and Neal 44.

He's already eclipsed Lucic's totals, and us on pace to top Neal's as well.

If it's anything like the 2012 Draft, we should know within a month, who we have serious interest in.

Yikes my bad, you are correct. Was half asleep when I posted that.

J-Dog

Mar 2, 2007
Ottawa
I'll laugh if we draft kylington. Another polarizing player that I bet half of us will hate. And the other half will love.

Win the draft lotto or bust.

I'd prefer to draft a forward (Strome, Marner, Rantanan, Barzal). I'm just curious though, what makes Kylington polarizing? He sounds pretty dynamic by all accounts and the swedes think he belongs in the top 5-6 of the draft.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'd prefer to draft a forward (Strome, Marner, Rantanan, Barzal). I'm just curious though, what makes Kylington polarizing? He sounds pretty dynamic by all accounts and the swedes think he belongs in the top 5-6 of the draft.

Because practically no one on this board has seen him play. So he's sort of part myth, part legend. Some gravitate to this type of narrative. Some do not.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
At this point, depending on our actual position, these are the guys I see us looking at BPA.

As D, I'd rate them 1) Provorov, 2) Werenski, 3) Kylington.

As Forwards 1) Strome, 2) Zacha, 3) Rantenan, 4) Crouse

Prefer Svechnikov to Crouse I think, but if we get any of these guys I think we improve our depth very well.

One of our 2nds I look hard at Vladar.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

He's that boom or bust guy in the draft. Great skating future offensive defensman like karlsson. Even in buttons preview of him he said something like "although his talents have led to the development you would expect, I expect him to be a great NHL player". It's just all very odd with kylington I find. Him and karlsson on the same team, while being exciting to watch sometimes might be just too difficult to take care of. This is all from reading. I've read analysis of him that praised him. And I've read analysis of him that raised a bunch of question marks. If we pick high. I would rather not go with a boom or bust.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Because practically no one on this board has seen him play. So he's sort of part myth, part legend. Some gravitate to this type of narrative. Some do not.

Unless you've read up on a bunch of stuff from people that have actually seen him play. Even buttons analysis seemed on the fence. It's very strange.

But yeah for sure. Definitely gravitating toward that narrative and using hyperbole to push my agenda.

Wow. I just hit the HFBoards trifecta in one sentence.

Hanifin would be ideal.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
After watching a couple of Crouse's games in Kingston I still don't get a lot of the hype. Not to say he wasn't impressive I just wasn't blow away like I have been with most of the other projected top ten picks. If we're going for one of the big wingers I'd much rather target Bittner or Svechnikov.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Crouse should be at least be PPG to justify his rank. You don't waste that pick on him when you have potentially elite players surrounding him.
Even if you think he reaches his peak of a Lucic/Neal, players like Provorov, Marner and Kylington peaks are those of Doughtys, Kanes , and Subbans.

Neal was drafted in the second round, Lucic in the second, Benn in the 5th.That's where we should target these types of players. In the top 10 is where we should target game breaking skills.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Plenty of players just have the tools to transition into the NHL

A lot of people think that Crouse is one of those players

Lots of player score a lot in Junior and fail to have any impact in the NHL

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Why do people keep saying a Lucic / Neal type when those two have about nothing in common besides being big and average skaters.

Lucic is probably the toughest non pure goon in the league and scores by overpowering people in front of the net, etc.

Neal stands in the slot or on the hash marks on the pp and waits for one timers.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Why do people keep saying a Lucic / Neal type when those two have about nothing in common besides being big and average skaters.

Lucic is probably the toughest non pure goon in the league and scores by overpowering people in front of the net, etc.

Neal stands in the slot or on the hash marks on the pp and waits for one timers.

Agreed. And Crouse isn't really similar to either guy. He's a better skater than Lucic, but no where near as mean or tough. Neal is super different, because he always had an amazing shot and was an offensive player. I guess the comparison comes from finding examples of guys with less than ppg in the CHL draft year, to being a scorer in the NHL. It is hard to find, so the examples tend be spread out a bit.

The real question with Crouse are his hands. He skate very well, is obviously very big, will use his size, and while not a mean SOB, is tough. But are his hands really that of a scorer? and his hockey IQ too. When I've seen him, I have seen some nice shots, but not moves really. And his hockey IQ was tough to tell because I never really saw him pass (which is one problem).

And if he has this complete package of everything you want in a pro, how is he going to be a scorer in the NHL, when guys are just as big and fast as he is? Right now he has a tremendous physical advantage over almost everyone on the ice, and while effective, is not dominant.

If you take him in the top 10, is he going to end up like Blake Wheeler, or Jason Wiemer? Tough to tell, and that's the risk.

If our scouts are confident he'll be a 20-30 goal guy, then I have no problem with us drafting him in the 9-15 range. I wouldn't take him ahead of some of the more elite talents like Strome and Marner though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Crouse turns out to be anything like Lucic, Neal or Wheeler that would be a great asset for the Senators to have. Ottawa has enough little skilled players in Karlsson & Hoffman & a few others in the organization, they don't need any more. They need guys who are willing to go to the net as Crouse did often in the WJC & score & he was one of the youngest players on the team. Ottawa doesn't need any more perimeter players who are constantly dangling the puck & going nowhere & they need more size on the left side. I like skilled players too but I want that skill in a bigger body & Crouse seems to have some skill as Nick Paul & Mark stone have as well & he has good wheels to go with it. That being said, if they can draft Strome that would be good too.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If Crouse turns out to be anything like Lucic, Neal or Wheeler that would be a great asset for the Senators to have. Ottawa has enough little skilled players in Karlsson & Hoffman & a few others in the organization, they don't need any more. They need guys who are willing to go to the net as Crouse did often in the WJC & score & he was one of the youngest players on the team. Ottawa doesn't need any more perimeter players who are constantly dangling the puck & going nowhere & they need more size on the left side. I like skilled players too but I want that skill in a bigger body & Crouse seems to have some skill as Nick Paul & Mark stone have as well & he has good wheels to go with it. That being said, if they can draft Strome that would be good too.
How many perimeter players do we have that constantly dangle the puck?
Hoffman aaaaaannnnmddd...... Then who.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
It's funny. The professionals are saying Crouse is going to be a stud and yet, the only rebuttal the armchair scout/GMs have, are his point totals.

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It's funny. The professionals are saying Crouse is going to be a stud and yet, the only rebuttal the armchair scout/GMs have, are his point totals.

That's ridiculous. Just because you wouldn't take a guy with a lottery pick, doesn't mean you don't think he'll be a terrific hockey player, or a "stud", whatever that means. If I could have a franchise center instead of a solid two-way character forward, I don't think that is so a bad way to go when you yourself with a lottery pick.

And last time I checked, the only two "professionals" who used to be working for NHL teams and now publish rankings, neither has Crouse in their top 10. So evidently the "professionals" think less of Crouse than anyone. At least according to your rationale. I have no doubt Button and Woodlief would love to draft a guy like Crouse - just not in the top 5 like you.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Heres the problem with Crouse. Almost all elite players that come out of junior have to at some point be a fairly successful scorers in the CHL (maybe not in their draft year but eventually). When you're drafting guys 100 percent on having a nice physical skill set you end up with manny malholtra. Same goes for stats though. If your draft a player based 100 percent on junior production you end up with Wellwood or Locke.

I just dont see why you wouldnt draft guys who project well physically and are putting up points ahead of him. I think crouse warrants a 1st round pick. I just have trouble wrapping my mind around top 6-7 pick

Crouse plays on a bad team... but why is he tied for 6th leading scorer on that bad team?

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Kingston playing on sports net tonight. If anyone wants to watch Crouse play.

Mcdavid and Strome are playing too.

Last edited:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
That's ridiculous. Just because you wouldn't take a guy with a lottery pick, doesn't mean you don't think he'll be a terrific hockey player, or a "stud", whatever that means. If I could have a franchise center instead of a solid two-way character forward, I don't think that is so a bad way to go when you yourself with a lottery pick.

And last time I checked, the only two "professionals" who used to be working for NHL teams and now publish rankings, neither has Crouse in their top 10. So evidently the "professionals" think less of Crouse than anyone. At least according to your rationale. I have no doubt Button and Woodlief would love to draft a guy like Crouse - just not in the top 5 like you.

Where does ISS have him ranked? Or Bob Mckenzie, and the 10 scouts that are currently employed with NHL teams that compiled TSN's rankings.

The fact that your citing Craig's List, is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad