2015 NHL Entry Draft #4 - June 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
I hope its Marner. I want to see some electricity on the ice rather than the dump and chase and trap all night type of play. I want to see someone electric on the ice for the Coyotes. Marner might be that guy. If we are to subscribe to the late George Steinbrenner's edict to "put the fannies in the seats" we need someone like Marner.

That's where I am, too. But let's not kid ourselves. Marner is 5'11 160lb. We won't see him with the big club next year for sure, but probably not until he's 20 at least...I have no problem with that, but he won't put butts in seats anytime soon (that's Domi/Dvorak/Duclair's job).

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Thoughts on trading #3 overall for Sheahan + Tatar? I'm giddy just thinking about it.
I'd be giddy too and for the first or second overall maybe I could see Detroit considering such a move but for #3, why? If I was Detroit, I wouldn't move Tatar for the third much less Tatar and Sheahan.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Why would he spend so much effort drumming up the trade value of the pick through the media if his goal is to just use the pick? I'm not saying he's definitely going to trade the pick, only that he's definitely trying to.

Well I may be wrong, it's just my opinion but I think the conversations he is having are being initiated by other teams, not him. Obviously there are many teams who would like to move up in the draft and he would be a fool not to entertain their offers but when it comes down to it, I don't think he will trade the 3OA pick.

We don't need 2nd line players, we need top line like what our pick could bring. But if a team already has a first line player, why would they trade it for a pick which at best would only give them the same as what they gave up? And there is no guarantee of that. I don't care about getting multiple picks, I care about drafting for our first line.

Maybe it is just me but I hope we don't trade that pick because I want us to come away with an elite player and drafting one is the only way I can see it happening. If we are in a rush to compete , we may end up making a huge mistake and end up with very little. Trades can be made anytime but to draft at 3OA, that does not happen very often so I prefer to keep it.

Maximus74

Mar 5, 2006
Ontario
What about the 3OA to Toronto for Toronto's 2016 First? Doubles your chance for local boy Austin Mathews...

Toronto needs to add likely - maybe take back Smith (dump) too?

indczn

May 28, 2008
Well I may be wrong, it's just my opinion but I think the conversations he is having are being initiated by other teams, not him. Obviously there are many teams who would like to move up in the draft and he would be a fool not to entertain their offers but when it comes down to it, I don't think he will trade the 3OA pick.

We don't need 2nd line players, we need top line like what our pick could bring. But if a team already has a first line player, why would they trade it for a pick which at best would only give them the same as what they gave up? And there is no guarantee of that. I don't care about getting multiple picks, I care about drafting for our first line.

Maybe it is just me but I hope we don't trade that pick because I want us to come away with an elite player and drafting one is the only way I can see it happening. If we are in a rush to compete , we may end up making a huge mistake and end up with very little. Trades can be made anytime but to draft at 3OA, that does not happen very often so I prefer to keep it.

I think some team is going to offer something that GMDM can't refuse for Hanifin when we are on the clock. Trading for #3 is the only sure way to get Hanifin. There are too many floundering teams that have terrible defenses that would be stabilized by a guy like Hanifin.

I fear trading the pick as well. The horrors of missing out on 2003 still haunt the coyotes. Trading down a few spots would be OK because there are still guys that could turn out elite, although riskier. Fortunately some of the teams that desperately need Hanifin aren't too many spots down.

indczn

May 28, 2008
What about the 3OA to Toronto for Toronto's 2016 First? Doubles your chance for local boy Austin Mathews...

Awful. The chances of this paying off are so slim, and the payoff is too far in the future.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

The Coyotes are interested in making the playoffs, not tanking for Auston Matthews. It's a neat story that he's from AZ, but it ends there.

In terms of flipping picks, too much risk involved. What if the Coyotes finish below the Leafs? Then we'll have given up a 3OV for a far lesser return.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
What about this....
Would Columbus trade Ryan Johansson for 3OA?

Im not sure why they would but I'd value him over Duchene and Couter to be honest.

To me the Avs and Sharks deals seem more likely because they have a surplus of good centers and are both fairly competitive teams that lack a true top end defenseman. The easiest way to get a top end defenseman is a high draft pick and neither team will likely be a bottom dweller for a very long time. If the Avs want to complete the rebuild they send out Duchene to get that defenseman and build around MacKinnon and Hanifin.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The draft can't get here soon enough. Please save us from these oh so tempting offers of David Krejci, Nazem Kadri, Nail Yakupov... :shakehead

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
The Coyotes are interested in making the playoffs, not tanking for Auston Matthews. It's a neat story that he's from AZ, but it ends there.

And after the past tanktastic year, Coyotes proved a team can be the second best tanker and not be in on the first two picks. Next year the odds are harder to get the number 1 so there is no logic in wasting a season for the low potential in getting a top pick. We need fans in seats now and the only way that's going to happen is for there to be a competitive, exciting, team to watch.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Im not sure why they would but I'd value him over Duchene and Couter to be honest.

To me the Avs and Sharks deals seem more likely because they have a surplus of good centers and are both fairly competitive teams that lack a true top end defenseman. The easiest way to get a top end defenseman is a high draft pick and neither team will likely be a bottom dweller for a very long time. If the Avs want to complete the rebuild they send out Duchene to get that defenseman and build around MacKinnon and Hanifin.

We would be much more likely to get Wennberg out of them than Johansson. But Wennberg by himself isn't really worth close to Hanifin to us; and Wennberg + 8th would probably be way too much for them. So it's kind of a pickle.

I would think that 8th + Milano (who would be better than any C prospect we have, with possible exception of Dvorak) + something smaller, would be a pretty good return.

Phoenician

Jul 3, 2013
Phoenix
And after the past tanktastic year, Coyotes proved a team can be the second best tanker and not be in on the first two picks. Next year the odds are harder to get the number 1 so there is no logic in wasting a season for the low potential in getting a top pick. We need fans in seats now and the only way that's going to happen is for there to be a competitive, exciting, team to watch.

This, I dont want to watch another 41 games at the monster like last year ever again.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don Maloney will be Burns & Gambo at 3pm AZ and Roc & Manuch at 3:30pm AZ to discuss the draft.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
<3 Panthers

jack heda ‏@jackdpmjd 3h3 hours ago

@ArizonaCoyotes fyi us panther fans going to the draft will give u a loud applause in show of solidarity. Go southern hockey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad