2015 NHL Entry Draft #4 - June 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
RNH and Gagner wasn't really threatening for the Oilers, why would it work for us. When we play Edmonton, RNH is not a player that worries me. He's had enough time to be more than a 50-55pt type and he hasn't taken that step. No thanks.

I'm not a fan of RNH.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Maybe Zibanejad and Ottawa's 1st (18) for 3 and 30?

I wouldn't do this but some talent from that top 12 could slip to 18.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Maloney is not a person to take risks, which means the players they're being offered if he is considering it, must be good.

I believed this until he traded an All Star defenseman on a decent contract with 50% retained on top for essentially pure futures.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
My take on the 30th pick being used to "make us better" means that we have some deals prepared for that pick.

Sutter could be someone involved there. Maybe Okposo and a 2nd round pick for the 30th? Possibly the 30th being used in conjunction with the 3rd, as many have speculated...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If you listen to the interview it sounds less like that than it does on paper. He just meant that the pick is a positive asset for the team and only mentioned it concerning the Vermette trade. All he meant was he was happy with the return.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Maloney made mention a few days back that there will be teams who aren't in the first round that are antsy to draft in the first round. If we have a group of players at 30 that will fall to 32, I'm all for moving the 30th. Let some team overpay just to go on stage. Rutherford and Brandon Sutter may be the perfect victim for this.

rt

May 13, 2004
Maloney made mention a few days back that there will be teams who aren't in the first round that are antsy to draft in the first round. If we have a group of players at 30 that will fall to 32, I'm all for moving the 30th. Let some team overpay just to go on stage. Rutherford and Brandon Sutter may be the perfect victim for this.

The word victim might be better applied to the team that's sacrificing a 1st round pick for one year of Brandon Sutter. :)

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Sutter probably returns a 2nd at the trade deadline, so I don't have a problem with that kind of trade if we can't get anything else lined up. I'd rather take Sutter and slide from 30th in '15 to ~50 in '16 than play Dvorak too soon and ruin him.

Rbenj

May 10, 2007
Surprise AZ
Correct me if I'm wrong, and if this has been brought up before, haven't been here in a while and I'm in no means pouring salt in our wounds, and reiterating our worst in the league luck, but, were we 2 days away from possibly, (could) draft our local boy Matthews since he missed the cutoff by 2days????:cry::cry::cry::cry:

rt

May 13, 2004
Sutter probably returns a 2nd at the trade deadline, so I don't have a problem with that kind of trade if we can't get anything else lined up. I'd rather take Sutter and slide from 30th in '15 to ~50 in '16 than play Dvorak too soon and ruin him.

Fair point. I'm in.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Coyotes official site has published a story based on Maloney's radio interviews from yesterday. Almost like they're prepping the fanbase to expect a trade...

Some interesting quotes from Bernhardt in the story:

"It's an OK draft. It's not exceptional but definitely some depth to it. 3 picks in the first 32 is a nice bonus to have."

"Hoping to build our goaltending and D depth. We have a lot of prospects up front but we'll continue to take players up front if that's what is staring us in the face."

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
rt redeemed

Picks after 15 are glorified seconds.

There are guys in 40-45 range who in most years would go 20-30. That's what they mean by deep draft.

It's top end. After Top 2 there are diverging opinions. Top line but not necessarily superstars.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Yup. Picks 17 and 25. That's not even close value. I'd have told the Jets GM to call me when he's serious.

The offer included a player.
Young C's include Scheif and Lowry.
Young RHD's include Trouba and Myers.

I would think Scheif, 17, 25 > Strome but I don't believe that's what was offered.

rt

May 13, 2004
Speak with CAR before pulling the trigger on the CBJ deal, and see what CAR would want to move from #5 to #8.

So, move #3 for #8, #38, Anisimov, and Rychel.

Then move #8, Rychel, and #60 to CAR for #5 (Strome) (assuming he's the one there).

So basically instead of picking Strome third, we pick him fifth. We get Anisimov and #38 for the #60.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I hate, absolutely hate the thought that the Coyotes would trade down from #3. Yea, we need a lot of help, but loading up on a lot of mid-level talent gives you a mid level team at best. We need that one blazing talent and can fill in around him.

I've thought long and hard and gone around a bunch of times over the top picks, and I want Marner. You need that one player that every team has to game plan against. That's not Strome, and that's not Hanifan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad