Bachelor #1:
MARNER_4_021915.jpg

Bachelor #2:
dylan_strome_erie_otters_1.jpg

Bachelor #3:
Hanifin_BC1_672.jpg

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Out of curiosity, how comparable is Haf to Ekblad?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Not at all. Or, if he is, the league he played in (NCAA) didn't really give him a chance to show it. He is more Seth Jones than Ekblad.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site

I would say that he is slightly more physically gifted (at least appearance-wise) at the same stage of development. Ekblad definitely has a better shot, but Hanifin's skating just puts him in a rare category of highly-mobile and big D, probably having around Niedermeyer's mobility or slightly better.

I have watched him quite a number of times, here what I see:

• Strengths:
  • Defensive position is generally excellent
  • Most of the time good use of his frame and long reach to separate opposition from the puck or control an area of ice.
  • High hockey IQ, especially in anticipation of plays from opposition and developing plays from teammate alike.
  • Outlet passing is not perfect, but about as good as you can expect any D at that age.
  • Excellent ability in handling puck through the neutral zone.
  • And his best attribute, again is mobility, there are just very few D at the high end of range of size that can move like that, in that last 10 years. The only NHL D that I can remember who clearly has a step on him in skating would be Coffey.

• Problem areas:
  • Sometimes not as assertive as he can be in the defensive zone given his physical attributes; hopefully that can be fixed soon after the draft.
  • He does have good creativity, but we do not see if often in the offensive zone because he usually shies away from overt risks, even when it makes sense. So his decision making in the O-zone needs to get better; and he needs to jump up deep into opponent zone more, when appropriate.
  • His biggest issue is his shot, which is rather sub-par for an elite player. If he can improve his velocity and release, he would be much more of a threat on the PP as well as off the rush.

He could be seen as somewhat more defensively minded Niedermayer; or Alzner++ (with a lot more gift with the puck).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hanifin was a D1 stand out for sure. I didn't find him any more impressive than either of Carlo or Werenski at the U20s for USA. Some (albeit the vast minority) view him as the 2nd or 3rd best D prospect in the draft. I've been more impressed with him than Provorov (who I've only seen a few times). In my limited viewings of both, he and Werenski are about tied, so I will lean on the judgement of the majority of scouts who like Hanifin much more.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would say that he is slightly more physically gifted (at least appearance-wise) at the same stage of development. Ekblad definitely has a better shot, but Hanifin's skating just puts him in a rare category of highly-mobile and big D, probably having around Niedermeyer's mobility or slightly better.

• Strengths:
  • Most of the time good use of his frame and long reach to separate opposition from the puck or control an area of ice.
  • High hockey IQ, especially in anticipation of plays from opposition and developing plays from teammate alike.
  • Outlet passing is not perfect, but about as good as you can expect any D at that age.
  • And his best attribute, again is mobility, there are just very few D at the high end of range of size that can move like that, in that last 10 years. The only NHL D that I can remember who clearly has a step on him in skating would be Coffey.

• Problem areas:
  • Sometimes not as assertive as he can be in the defensive zone given his physical attributes; hopefully that can be fixed soon after the draft.
  • He does have good creativity, but we do not see if often in the offensive zone because he usually shies away from overt risks, even when it makes sense. So his decision making in the O-zone needs to get better; and he needs to jump up deep into opponent zone more, when appropriate.
  • His biggest issue is his shot, which is rather sub-par for an elite player. If he can improve his velocity and release, he would be much more of a threat on the PP as well as off the rush.

He could be seen as somewhat more defensively minded Niedermayer; or Alzner++ (with a lot more gift with the puck).

Nice input. I like the Alzner+ note.

I'd almost say he's like a really, really conservative OEL minus the shot, plus a lot of size. OEL is more of a gambler and can snipe. Hanifin is more of horse, but is a lot more reserved on the ice.

Maybe something like an unholy hybrid of Duncan Keith and Jay Bouwmeester.

Last edited:

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site

I'd almost say he's like a really, really conservative OEL minus the shot, plus a lot of size. OEL is more of a gambler and can snipe. Hanifin is more of horse, but is a lot more reserved on the ice.

Right, exactly;

He definitely skate like JayBo, but has the smarts of Keith.

It's too bad that he so-far doesn't have that elite shot, it just doesn't have the same bite as a lot of other top players. It mainly affects his play in two ways, one is his effectiveness to be a PP QB in his threat in putting a bomb on the net; and when he is the late man in the O-zone to get off a quick one at the top of the circle or slot, when he gets a feed from the boards or from down-low.

If he had a MacInnis like shot, then I would probably have rated him between McD and Eichel, and give this draft 3 potential generational talents.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Strome = Chad Kilger
Hanifin = Deron Quint
Marner = Brandon Bochenski

Trade the pick for something instantly useful. Need to fill the roster, it's swiss cheese right now.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon

• Strengths:

• Problem areas:

One of the reasons why draft prognostication drives me insane is the "Player Comparables." Reading letowskie's info, I kept picturing Brian Rafalski. Then he said Alzner. And then you praised his info and said Keith-Bouwmeester. And other than that they're all good skaters, I don't consider those 4 anything alike haha.

Plz just get a good player.

Strome = Chad Kilger
Hanifin = Deron Quint
Marner = Brandon Bochenski

Trade the pick for something instantly useful. Need to fill the roster, it's swiss cheese right now.
WJF. Bro. I've missed you.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
One of the reasons why draft prognostication drives me insane is the "Player Comparables." Reading letowskie's info, I kept picturing Brian Rafalski. Then he said Alzner. And then you praised his info and said Keith-Bouwmeester. And other than that they're all good skaters, I don't consider those 4 anything alike haha.

They're all roughly the same player on 2/3rds of the ice, just in different places along the offensive zone continuum.

Rafalski - Keith - Bouwmeester - Alzner

Hanifin is a pretty safe bet to be as good as those guys defensively. No one knows where he'll land on the continuum, which is why he's not the consensus third pick.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
hbk said:
I think we are shopping the pick. I'm okay as long as we get someone in my top 10 or Kyle Conner.
Well in the past when some would suggest the Coyotes try to trade up to a top 5 pick (let alone a lottery pick), the common retort was it's not worth it because it'd take a kings ransom. Well, if those people are right, now that the shoe is on the other foot it makes sense for DM to at least explore the option.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=769762
Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney and his staff are mulling options for the third overall pick in the 2015 NHL Draft later this month.
"There's a couple of defensemen we really like, some centermen and some dynamic wingers, but we have all kinds of options," Maloney said. "I'm not locked into anything. We do have holes to fill on our roster next season, so if we can fill a hole and get a relatively high pick in return, that's an option."

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So much for the "if the draft were held today, we know who we pick." idea.

They do keep a list throughout the year. I believe we just held our final meetings last week with our scouts on finalizing the list. Maloney was just trying to deflect from the disappointment of the lottery result. It was the equivalent of saying there are other players in the draft that we have been keeping tabs on. I mean I have a strong opinion on who they should take at 3 so Maloney expressing confidence in their list is just normal PR.

Maloney is just trying to create a market for his asset to give himself the no-brainer option to pick up assets and still get a guy very high on their list.

Anyone surprised by Maloney's comments really shouldn't be. This is his job. Explore options that improve the club.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
For sure. I don't think these new comments would be at odds with an internal decision to aim for Strome already locked in. The fact that he seems to have gone out of his way to mention other players besides Strome seems to support this. Rightly or wrongly, Strome seems to be sliding down some lists after his playoff performance, so Maloney would be negligent in his duties to just take him at 3 without doing some diligence around trade options and sussing out who Toronto, Carolina, et al have their eyes on.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
They do keep a list throughout the year. I believe we just held our final meetings last week with our scouts on finalizing the list.

And it looks he failed obviously.

Maloney was just trying to deflect from the disappointment of the lottery result.

Didn't do a great job of it.

It was the equivalent of saying there are other players in the draft that we have been keeping tabs on. I mean I have a strong opinion on who they should take at 3 so Maloney expressing confidence in their list is just normal PR.

Maloney is just trying to create a market for his asset to give himself the no-brainer option to pick up assets and still get a guy very high on their list.

Maloney overtime has shown that he can't be trusted at his word.

Anyone surprised by Maloney's comments really shouldn't be. This is his job. Explore options that improve the club.

Not surprised by his comments, but he needs to understand that the best chance for this team to be a cup contender in the future is to do the proper rebuild.

I can only hope that from now until the draft the NHL can right a wrong that has been done to us here, even if it means to make Austin Matthews an exception to the draft by allowing him to get into the league undrafted on the condition he signs with the Coyotes.

But that would be too much to ask.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
A proper rebuild would have to start with a different coach that embraces young player development. I would prefer that but if you're going to stick with Tippett, trading young assets for established players makes more sense. You have to know what you're good at and what you aren't.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
And it looks he failed obviously.

Didn't do a great job of it.

Maloney overtime has shown that he can't be trusted at his word.

Not surprised by his comments, but he needs to understand that the best chance for this team to be a cup contender in the future is to do the proper rebuild.

I can only hope that from now until the draft the NHL can right a wrong that has been done to us here, even if it means to make Austin Matthews an exception to the draft by allowing him to get into the league undrafted on the condition he signs with the Coyotes.

But that would be too much to ask.

What could/should he have said after the lottery? Should he have cried openly like the Sabres GM? If Maloney does that does it not negatively impact the season ticket base even further and just set things up again for yet more relocation talk. Mentioning the word rebuild does that. Maloney is setting us up well for long term success without invoking fear.

We have a draft list. The top end is still extremely good. We are situated very well to get a very good impact player. I'm over the moon excited about this draft class.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
What could/should he have said after the lottery? Should he have cried openly like the Sabres GM? If Maloney does that does it not negatively impact the season ticket base even further and just set things up again for yet more relocation talk. Mentioning the word rebuild does that. Maloney is setting us up well for long term success without invoking fear.

We have a draft list. The top end is still extremely good. We are situated very well to get a very good impact player. I'm over the moon excited about this draft class.

It's not so much what he should have said but rather should have done from the very beginning of the season to make the moves to guarantee us a Top 2 spot in the 2015 Draft. There's a lot more intelligent hockey Fans of any degree here than what Maloney believes.

I'm glad you're excited for this draft class, but to me this draft doesn't mean **** if we don't get a #1C out of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad