2015 NHL Entry Draft #4 - June 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Latest Bob McKenzie update indicated that AZ would take Marner at 3.

It all comes down to Maloney repeatedly stating skating was a priority. Especially if we are going to be seeing 3 on 3 in OT.

Wasn't ever in doubt for me. The apparent skill, speed, and chemistry was always going to be too much to pass up.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
The question mark with Duchene for me is that he's never strung together two good years. Plus we'd be giving up a lot of cost controlled years with #3.

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
I know there is some debate regarding whether Marner is a winger or could play center. While I'm excited about Duchene, if you are in the camp that thinks Marner could play center, why would we trade the #3 OV for a 5'11" center when a 5'11" Marner put up much better numbers in his draft year than Duchene? I know Duchene is 40 pounds heavier, but over 6 years couldn't Marner reach 185 or 190 without sacrificing his speed? The whole point of taking Strome was to have a 1C who has the size to match up with the top centers in the western conference.

I don't know, I think I just make the pick, and I'm good with Marner even if he doesn't play center for us. I keep thinking Patrick Kane...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Unless Marner somehow completely skipped out on weight training in London and eats nothing but ramen, he'll be lucky to put on half that.

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
Maybe. I guess my point is that I don't know if Duchene is the home run I initially thought. He doesn't contribute on the PK (that's not a huge deal), and has minimal impact on the PP (that is a huge deal). He isn't that big and he doesn't play that big. Heck he could qualify for the Lady Bing some years...

So if that's the case, why not just draft someone who is 6 years younger, is cheaper (not a huge benefit now, but in 3 years it will be), and has arguably a higher ceiling. I think I'd rather have Marner or Strome, to be honest.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
If Maloney is just giving the fans lip service about trying to make the playoffs this year, but actually intends to tank, so we can get a top center in 2016, then I'm more than okay with taking Marner.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would absolutely NOT trade the #3 for Duchene. Now, I'd happily add to the #3 to get Duchene and the #10.

#3 has more value to AZ than Duchene.
Duchene+10 has more value than #3 period. By a long shot.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Another thing to consider when trading for Duchene is where his head is at in regards to playing away from Colorado. Remember the Avs have been his favorite team since he was a kid and it was his dream to play for them, who knows how a trade away from there would impact his play. Maybe he is reinvigorated like Joe Thornton or he sulks like Jeff Carter (or Olli Jokinen, we all remember how well that went).

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I think it is all talk. I think when it comes down to it, Maloney is going to pick Strome.

Why would he spend so much effort drumming up the trade value of the pick through the media if his goal is to just use the pick? I'm not saying he's definitely going to trade the pick, only that he's definitely trying to.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would absolutely NOT trade the #3 for Duchene. Now, I'd happily add to the #3 to get Duchene and the #10.

#3 has more value to AZ than Duchene.
Duchene+10 has more value than #3 period. By a long shot.

I guarantee that the first thing everyone did when they read Duchene's name is they looked up his contract status and stats on whatever cap geek replacement site they could find. It does make you stop and think. It's close but I'm in agreement that I would want 10 as well.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Don has done a nice little job of leaving the door wide open for options. He has more or less told us so far- directly or via Canadian TSN insiders/Local AZ writers:

A - Picking at 3 is a possibility:

- First line big center is great --- Strome
- Speedy defenceman is great-- Hanifin
- Small electric winger is great -- Marner

B - Trading down is a possibility but he want to keep a top ten pick

C - Trading the pick altogether for a young NHL player is a possibility

So aside for trading up or an old faltering NHL player, he has pretty much covered everything else.

This is gold for us to discuss things and get excited - so thank you Don.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Don has done a nice little job of leaving the door wide open for options. He has more or less told us so far- directly or via Canadian TSN insiders/Local AZ writers:

A - Pick at 3 is a possibility:

- First line big center is great --- Strome
- Speedy defenceman is great-- Hanifin
- Small electric winger is great -- Marner

B - Trade down is a possibility but he want to keep a top ten pick

C - Trade the pick altogether for a young NHL player is a possibility

So aside for trading up or an old faltering NHL player, he has pretty much covered everything else.

This is gold for us to discuss things and get excited - thank you Don.

Stoking the fire to create a market. AVS fans don't appreciate Duchene's name popping up.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Still pretty crazy that GMDM has moved from “need your first born+” to “pause to consider”. I hope it’s Reinhart. Tim Murray seems like a personality that wants to make the show of drafting 2 and 3. What better way to make up for losing out on McDavid? Eichel-Girgensons as Buffalo’s 1-2 is nothing to scoff at either.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Still pretty crazy that GMDM has moved from “need your first born+†to “pause to considerâ€. I hope it’s Reinhart. Tim Murray seems like a personality that wants to make the show of drafting 2 and 3. What better way to make up for losing out on McDavid? Eichel-Girgensons as Buffalo’s 1-2 is nothing to scoff at either.

If the names being tossed out their are true they do make you pause. Duchene made me pause.

That being said we still have 2 days for market to peak. Maybe we haven't hit overpayment yet but we are at good value.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Latest Bob McKenzie update indicated that AZ would take Marner at 3.

It all comes down to Maloney repeatedly stating skating was a priority. Especially if we are going to be seeing 3 on 3 in OT.

DM has really stressed speed every time he is interviewed. That is why I don't see Strome being our pick. I think AZCOYOT has stated that it is balls to the wall to get forward talent, so if he is correct, Hannifin is not our pick either, so I guess Marner could be out pick.:dunno:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
DM has really stressed speed every time he is interviewed. That is why I don't see Strome being our pick. I think AZCOYOT has stated that it is balls to the wall to get forward talent, so if he is correct, Hannifin is not our pick either, so I guess Marner could be out pick.:dunno:

I hope its Marner. I want to see some electricity on the ice rather than the dump and chase and trap all night type of play. I want to see someone electric on the ice for the Coyotes. Marner might be that guy. If we are to subscribe to the late George Steinbrenner's edict to "put the fannies in the seats" we need someone like Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad