2015 NHL Draft Thread Full of Hope and Optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yea, that's why i don't want to trade back. Much better chance of getting lucky and having someone really good land there than in the second. The system is flush with 2/3rd line/pairing prospects. We really really need to hit a couple home runs.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
One way or another, I think there will be a really good center or defenseman left for us at 19. I am pretty excited, to be honest :)
Check this out. #27 is Colin White. He had a huge U18 tournament, and this was probably his best game. As you'll see, this is against Canada, too.

https://vimeo.com/126006578

edit: and yeah, he beats J. Roy on goal #2 and then Chabot on goal #3.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Even trading back COULD be alright, with the depth there seems to be in this draft. But it's more of a gamble, IMO.

It almost seems like someone really good HAS to be left still at #19. If not a defenseman, than a forward. Or vice versa. If it goes heavy at one position, than someone has to slide at another. But the 19th best player in this draft should be really good.

yes.. but wings would actually have to manage to draft that that 19th best player.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
yes.. but wings would actually have to manage to draft that that 19th best player.

Well that should be the least of our worries. We've been doing really well drafting better players than their slot recently. Pretty sure Larkin and mantha would be taken much higher in redrafts. Same with bertuzzi, holmstrom and others.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm familiar, pretty sweet stuff though. He's a guy I would absolutely take at 19, if some of the good D men I like are gone.

I personally would rather we reach a bit and grab a D as opposed to taking a better forward available at that point. The only exception I would make is for Konecny, but he will most likely be gone when we pick. I like his game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I personally would rather we reach a bit and grab a D as opposed to taking a better forward available at that point. The only exception I would make is for Konecny, but he will most likely be gone when we pick. I like his game.

I would extend that to Merkley or C White as well. But only if Roy, Kylington, Chabot are gone. If any of those 3 are there I take them.

I'd rather take Merkley or Whtie than dig into the next tier of defenseman, or I would rather trade back. You should never really "reach", ideally.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Would you trade our 1st and Mantha for Provorov? I would. Or Am I overestimating Mantha's value?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I wouldn't trade mantha and number 19 unless were getting a top 5 sure thing which no one is going to do. Too much gamble for one unproven player. I'll take my chances with two drafted wings prospects. Number 19 could be another Larkin calibre player.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
I wouldn't trade mantha and number 19 unless were getting a top 5 sure thing which no one is going to do. Too much gamble for one unproven player. I'll take my chances with two drafted wings prospects. Number 19 could be another Larkin calibre player.

This. 2015 class is really deep.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Me too after landing Mantha and Larkin in the same vicinity the last couple drafts. Really hope we don't trade back.

I don't think the players available at 19 will be so good that we absolutely have to take one with that pick. Sure we will have more options and could catch a faller, but everyone in that range has some warts and question marks. If you tell me five years from now that Dunn, Vande Sompel, Wotherspoon or Juulsen are better than Roy or Kylington, I won't be the slightest bit shocked.

Yes the draft is deep, but I think that depth really only extends for about 12 spots. Like most years, the guys in the back half of the first are pretty comparable to a good portion of the guys projected to go in the second round. People shouldn't expect the world from this draft just because some have labeled it strong.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
My statement had nothing to do with the perceived strength of the draft, though. I would feel the same regardless of the draft of the draft year. My feelings on it are based on the Wings ability to draft and scout and not on the draft class. I would expect the wings to find a very good player at that slot regardless of the year. Well I would hope so anyway as it's the only thing they've been good at recently.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If Detroit really, really, really liked someone in the 10-13 range and wanted to trade Mantha and their pick for him, I'd be cautiously optimistic. Detroit seldom moves up in the draft, so I'd be inclined to think that they are REALLY high on whomever.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If Detroit really, really, really liked someone in the 10-13 range and wanted to trade Mantha and their pick for him, I'd be cautiously optimistic. Detroit seldom moves up in the draft, so I'd be inclined to think that they are REALLY high on whomever.

Yeah, the concern is selling Mantha at a low point, but if you can get a guy you feel very confident is going to be a very good NHL'er then you make that trade and move up. I think we are due for a mini rebuild which corresponds nicely with Blashill getting familiar with coaching the NHL. If you can get a top 10ish pick this year and then bolster that with two more top 5-10 picks over the next two drafts then that might be all it takes to get the elite talent we cannot acquire any other way.

Then you open the new arena with a lot of excitement given the state of the roster, not "hey come out and see Pav and Z skate on the third line!!"

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Since the context of the hypo is that you're trading up with Mantha and the 19th to get Provorov, you'd essentially be getting a top 5 pick. Provorov is absolutely a top 5 pick in almost any other draft.

I wonder how high we could move by packaging Pulkinnen with our first.

HolyJumpin40

May 15, 2014
I'm not super familiar with the value of draft picks but would something like this work with Columbus? Would the Wings not do it?

19th overall

for

34th overall
38th overall

Or, maybe with NJD for the 36th and 41st?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille