2015 NHL Draft Thread Full of Hope and Optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The thing that's making me unsure about Roy is his footspeed. I watched him at the U18 and it's not exactly the most impressive thing, and he has trouble keeping his positioning at times. With how much NHL defense today is about skating and moving the puck, it's a little worrying. and, of course, that's exactly why he'll be available at #19. Can he work on that? Hard to tell. He always looks like he's standing still. I think I still want the Wings to draft him, but I'm a little hesitant.

On the other hand, Chabot is pretty much the picture of an NHL puckmover, but he's a LH LD without significant O-zone skill, and not really what the Wings need at all. But you can see why Chabot will probably go closer to 10 than to 15. I think if Roy could skate like Chabot, he'd go top 10 for sure. Maybe higher.

Edit: what's totally weird, though, is some outlets have Roy as a good skater. I'm not sure what that's about. Maybe they're projecting him to improve.

Like check this out:

They make him sound like Duncan Keith! http://futureconsiderations.ca/playerprofiler/JEREMY-ROY/

I have watched a good deal of him since the end of the season. His skating isn't necessarily bad, but he is not all that explosive and doesn't have great one-step quickness. His forward stride reminds me a bit of ROR's action. I think he is fine on his edges, with pivots and moving laterally though. Anyways, I am not expecting him to become a great rusher of the puck in the NHL. If that is important to you, he is probably not your man at 19.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I have watched a good deal of him since the end of the season. His skating isn't necessarily bad, but he is not all that explosive and doesn't have great one-step quickness. His forward stride reminds me a bit of ROR's action. I think he is fine on his edges, with pivots and moving laterally though. Anyways, I am not expecting him to become a great rusher of the puck in the NHL. If that is important to you, he is probably not your man at 19.
Unfortunately, the big fad these days is having 6 slick puckmovers.

Hopefully this era doesn't last very long. The Wings aren't built for it. They certainly haven't drafted for it.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Hopefully this era doesn't last very long. The Wings aren't built for it. They certainly haven't drafted for it.

I don't know. Very few teams have six really good puck movers. Most have maybe 2-4. As Wings fans we are conditioned to think everyone has it so much better than we do. What we don't have is a great top pair at this point.

I still think Roy is a brilliant puck mover. He is a wonderful passer who makes outstanding decisions with the puck on a routine basis. He really is dynamite with the puck on his stick. What I don't think he will be at the next level is a super great transporter of the puck. Even if he doesn't generate a ton of offense in transition (I am not sure this will necessarily be the case), he can still generate offense from inside the offensive zone. My opinions on how defensemen generate offense in today's NHL change with the phases of the moon. Some days I really, really love Roy. On other days I prefer different players.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

6? Only Rags and maybe Preds (?) are teams that I can think of that fit that bill.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I would be interested in hearing what you all think about Brandon Carlo? He looks like hes ranked around Detroits pick and is a dman. Not the offensive puck mover type a lot want to see but could be thought of as a poor mans Shea Weber type of player

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I would be interested in hearing what you all think about Brandon Carlo? He looks like hes ranked around Detroits pick and is a dman. Not the offensive puck mover type a lot want to see but could be thought of as a poor mans Shea Weber type of player

personally, i will riot if we take him at 19. not a fan.

he's big and strong and can skate well but i don't think he has very high upside and i question his puck skills and hockey sense for the next level. i've actually like the other draft eligible dman on his team better at times, parker wotherspoon. carlo is better now but wotherspoon could be better in 5 years.

i think wings need to go for a high upside pick here. unless it's someone like white who won't be a superstar but is fairly similar prospect as larkin is.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
personally, i will riot if we take him at 19. not a fan.

he's big and strong and can skate well but i don't think he has very high upside and i question his puck skills and hockey sense for the next level. i've actually like the other draft eligible dman on his team better at times, parker wotherspoon. carlo is better now but wotherspoon could be better in 5 years.

i think wings need to go for a high upside pick here. unless it's someone like white who won't be a superstar but is fairly similar prospect as larkin is.

Right there with you. Waste of a 1st round pick on Carlo. If you're already being labeled a defensive Dman in juniors with questionable offensive skills you don't belong in the 1st round. Some time looking for solid D depth will snag him but the Wings need high end talent and Carlo won't provide that at any level.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

IIRC you like big and tough players, so a guy who might fit your bill while providing some better upside would be Nicolas Meloche. He's not quite as big as Carlo, but he drops them more to stick up for his teammates, clears out the crease, and plays a physical game.

He's about 6'2 and 200ish lbs, so not a bad size. Only problem is he's projected to go 2nd rd, and we don't have a 2nd rder. But if we trade back, he's a really nice option. Also not impossible he goes earlier, mock drafts aren't always right.

I would like the pick a lot.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Carlo is a weird player. I've heard that he actually prefers to play the left side, despite being RH. He's not a big shooter, either, so I'm not exactly sure why.

J. Roy also seems to play the left side FWIW. Newfy. Noah Juulsen is the guy you should be looking into.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
J. Roy also seems to play the left side FWIW. Newfy. Noah Juulsen is the guy you should be looking into.

Anyone know what our draft picks look like this year?

I think its this:

1) Detroits 1st
2) Detroits 2nd gone in Cole Trade
3) Dallas 3rd acquired in Cole Trade
3) Toronto 3rd in one of next 3 years
3) Do we have our own 3rd rounder?

I have no idea really.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit

I think its this:

1) Detroits 1st

I have no idea really.

IIRC our 3rd rounder was used in last years draft to move up and acquire Turgeon.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think its this:

1) Detroits 1st

I have no idea really.

2015 Red Wings draft picks (maybe sticky this?)

1st round: 19th overall

2nd round: None (traded for E. Cole)

3rd round: 73rd overall (cond. pick from Dallas)

4th round: 110th overall

5th round: 140th overall

6th round: 170th overall

7th round: 200th overall

***The reason we don’t have two 3rd round picks in this draft is because we traded our 2014 3rd round pick and 2015 3rd round pick to move up in the 2014 draft and select Dominic Turgeon.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
I hope Holland will trade Smith and Kindl for draft picks. Sadly, knowing Holland, the chances of that happening are probably zero. I would love to trade Ericsson as well.

Ericsson: 2nd?
Smith: 2nd/3rd?
Kindl: 5th/6th?

Sorry, I'm horrible at these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad