2015 NHL Draft Thread Full of Hope and Optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I was totally against trading out of the first for two early 2nd round picks, but man - if the draft goes anything like Button thinks, I'd have no problem with it: White, Konecny, Meloche, Sprong, Juulsen, Kylington, and Carlo all sitting around 30-50? I'd definitely be happy with two of those.

On the flip side, looking at this list really makes you miss our original second rounder. Thankfully, Button is usually off.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
How many Russians have we drafted in the last ten years? More importantly, how many Russians have we drafted in the first round. I won't pretend to know their exact reasoning, but it is clear that they have some issue with drafting Russians early. I am sure Fetisov's recent comments don't help perceptions either.

Not many Russians picked in a given draft to begin with -- (just did took a quick look, and they typically make up less than 5% of draft). Less to pick from means less likely one is taken with any given pick.

Plus, it seems to me anyways, most teams don't take Russians in the early rounds in general. It's not just a "KH doesn't like Russians," thing.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
There really hasn't been many good Russians. For dfence help. And our forward core is stacked, Or always has been in the pipeline.. Hudler Filp Abby Helm and now Pulk Mantha Larkin Nyquist Tats

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not many Russians picked in a given draft to begin with -- (just did took a quick look, and they typically make up less than 5% of draft). Less to pick from means less likely one is taken with any given pick.

Plus, it seems to me anyways, most teams don't take Russians in the early rounds in general. It's not just a "KH doesn't like Russians," thing.

Who else has gone 14 years without taking one in rounds 1-6?

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

I'm a lazy, lazy man. Far too lazy to go research the answer to that question.

Seems to me though that the answer as to why the Wings haven't picked that many Russian players is obvious: there's not that many Russian players to pick from to begin with.

Since 2005 (the time where only 7 draft rounds as opposed to 9 was instituted) the average number of Russian players drafted is 10.2 out of 211. The fact that the Wings haven't selected a whole lot of Russian players has far more to do with the law of averages than a bias against Russian players.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm a lazy, lazy man. Far too lazy to go research the answer to that question.

Seems to me though that the answer as to why the Wings haven't picked that many Russian players is obvious: there's not that many Russian players to pick from to begin with.

Since 2005 (the time where only 7 draft rounds as opposed to 9 was instituted) the average number of Russian players drafted is 10.2 out of 211. The fact that the Wings haven't selected a whole lot of Russian players has far more to do with the law of averages than a bias against Russian players.

So, that would mean 140 Russians have been drafted since we took one last. Over 29 teams.

And you think we don't have a bias? I'm calling shenanigans.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

My guess is you have to deal with whether a guy will come over to begin with and then if he does and he develops you have to deal with the competition of him signing with a KHL team. There are quite a few guys including Radulov and Hudler (not Russian but left in his prime) who played in North America and then left to play part or all of their careers in Russia.

My guess is with the odds of development being so long on their own, you don't want to deal with the added kick to the nads of a guy you successfully develop leaving and you get no compensation whatsoever.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
So, that would mean 140 Russians have been drafted since we took one last. Over 29 teams.

And you think we don't have a bias? I'm calling shenanigans.

Right. So that's what, ~95% more likely that any team (not just the Wings) selects a non-Russian player with a pick?

Nevertheless, shenanigans has been declared! Grab your brooms folks, and meet me down at the joe.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah, good thing this doesn't happen with our Swedish prospects.... Oh wait.

To be fair none of those guys had value in recent memory, Except Jarnkrok, Unless im forgetting some people. Cause Almquist sure didn't

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I would take him over Kylington. Can't wait to see him at the combine. If he's as fit as they say he is he could turn into a Duncan Keith type player.

yah, the reviews about his skating being effortless and high hockey IQ scream duncan keith

him being 6-2 and 180ish lbs already would lead one to believe he will top out around 200lbs making him perfect size for us

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Like I said, the Redwings have an issue with drafting Russians early in the draft. Their record speaks for itself. Even if you argue that our selection of Russians merely reflects a greater league-wide trend, you still need to address the distribution of those picks across the rounds. Like it or not, we only seem to take them in the final round.

Anyways, the Wings won't be drafting Svechnikov in the first round.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
To be fair none of those guys had value in recent memory, Except Jarnkrok, Unless im forgetting some people. Cause Almquist sure didn't

The situations with the Swedish prospects are nothing like the situation I mentioned. Dick Axelsson, Calle Jarnkrok and Mattias Backstrom are all guys who no longer wanted to be part of the Red Wings organization. It should be pointed out that Jarnkrok and Backstrom were more than happy to stay in North America after trades to Nashville and Dallas. Axelsson never got close to being a top end prospect and left very shortly after coming over.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The situations with the Swedish prospects are nothing like the situation I mentioned. Dick Axelsson, Calle Jarnkrok and Mattias Backstrom are all guys who no longer wanted to be part of the Red Wings organization. It should be pointed out that Jarnkrok and Backstrom were more than happy to stay in North America after trades to Nashville and Dallas. Axelsson never got close to being a top end prospect and left very shortly after coming over.

bäckman, not bäckström and he went back to sweden but came over to play in AHL playoffs after season in sweden was over.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm not sure he'll be there but I like the sounds of Jeremy Roy. Havent seen him play like I have some of the others but a high first (for the wings) on a dman is probably needed. Chabot might be there as well and in a trade down maybe Meloche?

I dont like guys that fall a lot, so Kylington has question marks from me. I've also seen Zboril going around Detroits pick quite a bit

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not sure why everyone is so scared of "droppers" in this thread, it seems.

I would MUCH rather take a dropper than a late riser.

I mean weren't Mantha, Athanasiou, and Pulkks all droppers? We seem to do well with them.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Not sure why everyone is so scared of "droppers" in this thread, it seems.

I would MUCH rather take a dropper than a late riser.

I mean weren't Mantha, Athanasiou, and Pulkks all droppers? We seem to do well with them.

I agree with this. I immediately think of AA and Pulkinnen when people start talking about avoiding falling players at the draft. If the scouting staff sees something in Kylington that makes them disregard his falling draft stock, I'm all for taking him. Especially when that particular group of scouts is run by Hakan Andersson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->