2015 NHL Draft Thread Full of Hope and Optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I'm not super familiar with the value of draft picks but would something like this work with Columbus? Would the Wings not do it?

19th overall

for

34th overall
38th overall

Or, maybe with NJD for the 36th and 41st?

Columbus' 34th, 38th, and 69th for Wings' 19th, maybe?

NJD's 36th, 41st and 67th for Wings' 19th, perhaps?

Just basing that off this guy:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

I'm bad at placing value on these sorts of things also.

Either way, I'm in the don't trade down camp. The Wings gotta try to get a future top-pairing d-man this time around, and using the 19th gives them the best shot at doing that.

Brandel*

Corey Pronman's mock draft (if he were GM)

19. Detroit Red Wings

Erik Cernak, D, Kosice (Slovak Extraliga)

DOB: 5/28/97 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 203
2014-15 GP: 43 | G: 5 | A: 13

The Red Wings have built a very strong farm system, and while I'd argue they're lighter at defense than forward, this pick comes down to upside. Cernak is one of the biggest home run swings in the draft as a big, mobile, skilled, physical defenseman. There's uncertainty around him, but with depth in the pipeline, this is a great shot to take.

Pronman's 2015 'Grade A' mock draft

--
defence gone by 19th in his mock:

Hanifin 5
Werenski 8
Provorov 13
Kylington 15
Roy 18

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
not really similar player as kindl. much more like ericsson.

i'd just take colin white.

I'd rather Yevgeni Svechnikov or Brock Boeser if i had to do a forward.

Wings make a big mistake if they take Kylington, Bäckman 2.0

Ill agree that I'm skeptical of Kylington, and it's a risk to take an international defensemen in the first round, but he's 20lbs heavier than Backman was at his age. His vision and defensive play are miles ahead and he's putting up points in the SHL. He's not at all comparable to Backman. Though he is a huge boom bust prospect

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Ill agree that I'm skeptical of Kylington, and it's a risk to take an international defensemen in the first round, but he's 20lbs heavier than Backman was at his age. His vision and defensive play are miles ahead and he's putting up points in the SHL. He's not at all comparable to Backman. Though he is a huge boom bust prospect

I don't get why you would take a wing over White or one of the defensemen projected to be available. Also, I won't deny that Svechnikov is very, very good, but we all know that the Wings aren't going to spend a 1st on a Russian.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Give me Sprong over Boeser all day.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
I don't get why you would take a wing over White or one of the defensemen projected to be available. Also, I won't deny that Svechnikov is very, very good, but we all know that the Wings aren't going to spend a 1st on a Russian.

The fedorov thing still stinging, or how they could bolt to the khl? The khl thing is not so much of a worry anymore.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The fedorov thing still stinging, or how they could bolt to the khl? The khl thing is not so much of a worry anymore.

How many Russians have we drafted in the last ten years? More importantly, how many Russians have we drafted in the first round. I won't pretend to know their exact reasoning, but it is clear that they have some issue with drafting Russians early. I am sure Fetisov's recent comments don't help perceptions either.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
How many Russians have we drafted in the last ten years? More importantly, how many Russians have we drafted in the first round. I won't pretend to know their exact reasoning, but it is clear that they have some issue with drafting Russians early. I am sure Fetisov's recent comments don't help perceptions either.

Dude I agree that we are shying away from Russians, I'm just trying to guess why and stating perhaps it's less of a risk Now then before....

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300

Fetisov is a hypocrite and his comments are nothing but a Russian ploy to try and retain their youth due in part to their inability to attract players. One of the only reasons to go to the KHL was the lure of tax free money, now that it's not financially viable they turn to soviet-era politics to try and counteract.

The fact of the matter is, the Russians are very good at producing players and to overlook them purely because of a Russian factor is extremely short-sighted. Look no further than the success of the Russians on the Tampa bay lightning. You take the best player available and if I had to chose a forward at around the 19th position I wouldn't hesitate with Svechnikov

Give me Sprong over Boeser all day.

Completely agree, he's an incredible player. Unfortunately I don't see him available at 19.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dude I agree that we are shying away from Russians, I'm just trying to guess why and stating perhaps it's less of a risk Now then before....

Considering it has been 14 years since a Russian has been drafted earlier than round 7, I will believe it when I see it.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I wish someone would ask Holland about that. That's an incredibly long time and considering how big a role Russian players had in the success of the team it's really odd.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-final-ranking-1.294692

Craig buttons list. I don't agree with some of it but pretty interesting nevertheless

Hmm. Never heard of Erik Foley before, and he has him at #30. Interesting.

Edit, found this:
"I'm definitely a guy who has to work down low. I'm not really a skilled guy. I work below the goal line. That's where my bread and butter is. I like grinding down low and getting pucks out in front," said Foley.

sounds like Babcock's dream player ;)

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...e-recruit?_ga=1.1044593.1796415765.1432924814

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino