Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, that must be it; anyone who voted Kapanen must be oblivious to Brown's abilities! :sarcasm:

I watched more Marlies games, this season, than the majority of posters on this site, and I voted Kapanen. I think Brown is a very good prospect, but I don't think he has the potential that Kapanen possesses. Brown may become the better pro (it certainly wouldn't surprise me), but I'll take the prospect with the higher upside at this stage in their respective developments.

I've seen a bunch of Marlies games this year too, and about 4 or 5 live. I don't see top line upside in Kapanen so basically him and Brown project to be around the same. The difference is Brown has kept increasing his value each year while Kapanen has basically become stagnant. Brown is the one with the higher upside imo.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Brown's so overrated, go Kapanen

Lol. This is so ironic. Most of the people here haven't even seen Kapanen play and are picking him. Brown wins the OHL most outstanding player award, then wins in AHL rookie scoring and he's overrated?

Gimme a break.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I've seen a bunch of Marlies games this year too, and about 4 or 5 live. I don't see top line upside in Kapanen so basically him and Brown project to be around the same. The difference is Brown has kept increasing his value each year while Kapanen has basically become stagnant. Brown is the one with the higher upside imo.

I agree- Brownie is ahead of Kapanen easily - my argument is Bracco WILL be better than both - he's our number three prospect but this board likes the latest thing.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.

I'm so confused by these kind of statements. How has he gone stagnant? Last year he nearly made the Pens at 17/18, he's gone away for a year and done well in a poorly performing team and is still so young.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm so confused by these kind of statements. How has he gone stagnant? Last year he nearly made the Pens at 17/18, he's gone away for a year and done well in a poorly performing team and is still so young.

Maybe out of training camp, but as the year went on, he didn't impress. He had an underwhelming WJC. He didn't increase his stock. Maybe he had a few good games in the AHL, but that hardly gives him means to jump over the AHL rookie allstar in the poll.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I love Brown but I think Kapanen has a higher ceiling, so he wins my vote.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Maybe out of training camp, but as the year went on, he didn't impress. He had an underwhelming WJC. He didn't increase his stock. Maybe he had a few good games in the AHL, but that hardly gives him means to jump over the AHL rookie allstar in the poll.

I'm not saying he should jump Brown. I just thing saying he's had a stagnant year is perhaps harsh on him.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I agree- Brownie is ahead of Kapanen easily - my argument is Bracco WILL be better than both - he's our number three prospect but this board likes the latest thing.

It is always so very special when you insult everyone who does not share your opinion, a true sign of maturity. Let's just pretend some people like the player for what he is and see things you do not, not to say you are wrong, but their opinions may be just as well thought out and valid.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
It is always so very special when you insult everyone who does not share your opinion, a true sign of maturity. Let's just pretend some people like the player for what he is and see things you do not, not to say you are wrong, but their opinions may be just as well thought out and valid.

Omg. Lol thanks for that. :shakehead

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's a wash between Kapanen and Brown at 3/4. Voted Brown because of the production in the AHL as a '94.

Think they both have 1b RW potential.

This ... It's basically a toss up for me but I like Kapanen's upside a bit more, although Brown's work ethic and determination is easily way better.

Hope both can be top 6 wingers in the future

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Lol. This is so ironic. Most of the people here haven't even seen Kapanen play and are picking him. Brown wins the OHL most outstanding player award, then wins in AHL rookie scoring and he's overrated?

Gimme a break.

"Shiny new toy". It's basically like a video game you've played for a few months. Then you decide to buy a new new game. Then you stop playing your old game for a while (even if you haven't finished it) to play the new game. Then you realize that the older game may have been more entertaining.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
"Shiny new toy". It's basically like a video game you've played for a few months. Then you decide to buy a new new game. Then you stop playing your old game for a while (even if you haven't finished it) to play the new game. Then you realize that the older game may have been more entertaining.

It's not like we are talking about a "throw in" shiny new toy that we just acquired, but more about being excited about Kasperi because of how good and skilled he is. There is a reason why Kapanen was ranked around Ehlers and Nylander in his draft year. He is really good. It's not a knock on Brown at all. If anything Brown being highly considered as our #3 prospect after Marner and Nylander tells us how good he (and Kapanen) are given the upgrades we are making in our prospect pool.

This is going to be the most i've had ranking our prospect board. Should be even more fun after next year's draft and the cupboard is stocked even more.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Right now, voting Kapi.

He put up 3 goals and 5 pts in 7 ahl playoff games as an 18 yr old. Brown put up 4 in 5 as a 21 yr old.

It's close and Brown would be higher if they were the same age and Brown was doing what he's doing, but giving it to Kapanen

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Right now, voting Kapi.

He put up 3 goals and 5 pts in 7 ahl playoff games as an 18 yr old. Brown put up 4 in 5 as a 21 yr old.

It's close and Brown would be higher if they were the same age and Brown was doing what he's doing, but giving it to Kapanen

That's fair...

Brown has overachieved at every level he's played at. I really like his determination and he never stops moving his legs. I think he will over achieve in the NHL as well, so I voted for him. Kapanen hasn't really proven as much yet... a great year in the AHL with Nylander could help though.

Another thing to note: Brown made the top 50 list of HF, while Kapanen did not. Obviously that's subjective, but I assume the writers of that list watch these guys more than I do.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Kapanen, I hope he reaches his potential.

Agreed. Whoever comes in 2nd on this should be placed in the #4 position instead of wasting another day on a vote.
Could the loser just be given the 4th spot? I mean, there really is no need to have a vote for 4th when 3rd is between two players and the next guy is 40% less.
Makes as much sense as "The Mentalist" posting that the voting between Marner and Nylander should have been closer: none. All Kapanen-voters could have Gauthier or Percy ahead of Brown.

e84*

From what I've seen of Brown his skating seems like it will hold him back. Kapanen has a higher ceiling and is younger. I would honestly call it a tie between Kapanen and Bracco at number 3.

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
That's fair...

Brown has overachieved at every level he's played at. I really like his determination and he never stops moving his legs. I think he will over achieve in the NHL as well, so I voted for him. Kapanen hasn't really proven as much yet... a great year in the AHL with Nylander could help though.

Another thing to note: Brown made the top 50 list of HF, while Kapanen did not. Obviously that's subjective, but I assume the writers of that list watch these guys more than I do.

Overachieved? Brown is one of the hardest workers I've seen. His determination is second to none.

I would say he's earned what he's achieved.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Overachieved? Brown is one of the hardest workers I've seen. His determination is second to none.

I would say he's earned what he's achieved.

I don't think he meant overachieved in a negative way. It's more of a way of complimenting Brown's accomplishments. He was taken late in his draft and has only worked extremely hard to be where he is at (including OHL scoring champion). So from where he was drafted and his initial projections, its accurate to state that he has overachieved. But this is a result of skill, hard work and determination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad