Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Connor Brown is the 49th rated prospect on HF Boards top 50 prospects. He and Nylander at present are the only 2 Leafs prospects that made the top 50 prospects list. He also led the Marlies in scoring as a rookie by 13 points. This one should not be close IMO.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Connor Brown is the 49th rated prospect on HF Boards top 50 prospects. He and Nylander at present are the only 2 Leafs prospects that made the top 50 prospects list. He also led the Marlies in scoring as a rookie by 13 points. This one should not be close IMO.

Sure it should. Kapanen was probably just outside the top 50 prospects. Both are excellent prospects.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

THN top 50 had Kapanen in the 30's.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Brown may very well end up on the Leafs top Line one day.
And he'll always be the hardest worker. Intangibles. and so on...
Gotta be Brown.

I have Freddy the Puzzles at #4 though, not Kapanen.

The goat poses to be a real good 3rd line centre. I like him, but I don't think he's a better prospect than a lot of these guys, kapanen, brown, Johnson, and others all have higher potential.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
At first I actually had a hard time picking Brown from Dermott. But Brown's 128 point record season in Erie, and leading The Marlies in scoring as a rookie made him the easy choice to me.

But Dermott may still be the best player on this list one day.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

HF is typically infallible.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Yes, the ONLY reason people are voting for Kapanen is because he's new. Can't have anything to do with skill or potential...

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I think Kapanen has more raw talent, but I think Brown has self motivation & desire. He's a kid that keeps being underrated, (OHL priority draft & NHL draft) & he keeps on proving himself. He just keeps on ticking & I hope his desire to improve & show what he can do continues.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
HF is typically infallible.

Only the best.

Seriously, they nailed this summary of Connor. Plus I believe he will perhaps be a future A or maybe even C on the Leafs one day.

Diminutive winger Connor Brown was the biggest surprise in the Toronto Maple Leafs organization this season, and in fact was one of the few bright spots. An All-Star in junior who had recorded 128 points in 68 games the year prior, expectations remained relatively low given his stature and the fact he recorded those numbers playing alongside super-phenom Connor McDavid (2015). Yet, in his rookie season in the AHL, Brown led all Toronto Marlies scorers with 61 points in 76 games, while posting an impressive +24 rating. Playing with a rotating cast of linemates that often included Ryan Rupert and William Nylander, Brown was able to push the pace of play frequently. The fact that he was able to stay healthy throughout the course of the season playing against grown men is another great sign for the organization and Brown’s durability.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect-rankings/postseason-prospect-rankings-2014-15/page/5

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I picked Kasperi even though it's honestly even between him and Brown. He's bigger, younger and a 1st round pick. Brown is a leader who simply does not give up on plays. Both have a great skill set, but whatever, Kasperi got the vote.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
After watching Brown play last year I have zero doubt he is and will be a better player. What a treat of a player he is to watch! I don't even get that people are voting for Kapanen, guess some here says is true, they haven't seen Brown.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Could the loser just be given the 4th spot? I mean, there really is no need to have a vote for 4th when 3rd is between two players and the next guy is 40% less.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Connor Brown was fantastic last year. He is pretty relentless in his pursuit of the puck and has deceptively quick hands. If Kapanen ends up being better than Brown it will be a great thing for the Leafs.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
The goat poses to be a real good 3rd line centre. I like him, but I don't think he's a better prospect than a lot of these guys, kapanen, brown, Johnson, and others all have higher potential.

Yeah ... in that sense, high skill scoring etc, for sure. The thing with the Goat for me though is that from having watched him in Junior, i feel like his overall game, beyond the scoring has Elite potential. His overall ability to drive the possession ... he makes plays that are felt all over the ice long after the play is made. He'll also be on the ice for every crucial face-off and kill all the big penalties.

Granted, the scoring ... without which, it is hard to place him above others. His shot can certainly use some work. The thing is, with his passing ability, i have to think that he'll put up assists along side talent that can finish, which he never really had in the Q. Furthermore, he has found a knack for parking in front of the net. If he is given to continue developing that, he will score a lot of garbage goals. David Clarkson scored 30 from there, and he's not exactly talented...

So sure, if Puzzles puts up an average of 20 points a year in the NHL, #4 is a bit high ... maybe in the #10 range makes more sense. If he averaged 60 points, he would be a franchise player. The difference that scoring stats can make to his impact cannot necessarily be said for the others (eg: Kessel is not a franchise player despite scoring 80, and neither would be Bozak or Lupul if they did ... maybe not even JVR).

I'm not yet convinced that the goat won't get to 40 in the NHL, simply because his passing ability, combined with a willingness to stand in front of the net, should the organization put him in a position to pursue that skill, could produce a fair share of production.

Of course, if he is buried as a 3rd line C behind the talents of Nylander etc, which would make total sense, he would have less opportunities to utilize getting those Garbage points. In all though, i do believe he will surprise some people as he continues to develop. I do hope he makes it into the top 10 of this poll, because by most any account, he really should be. ... even if 3rd line C is his resting place ... he'll be one of the most important players on the ice most nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad