Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Of course they voted Marner 1st, he's the best prospect with only Nylander being in the same conversation.

And I agree, I voted that way specifically. But Connor Brown is not higher than Kapanen and I'm simply calling out the reasoning of "ahl production" or my favorite one "I've seen Brown play I haven't seen Kapanen". Same with "closer to playing in the NHL". If we are going to vote based off of production done in the AHL when other comparable players haven't done that or had the chance too, then Marner shouldn't be their first vote. I really don't understand why that is so confusing for people. That SPECIFIC metric is flawed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
And I agree, I voted that way specifically. But Connor Brown is not higher than Kapanen and I'm simply calling out the reasoning of "ahl production" or my favorite one "I've seen Brown play I haven't seen Kapanen". Same with "closer to playing in the NHL". If we are going to vote based off of production done in the AHL when other comparable players haven't done that or had the chance too, then Marner shouldn't be their first vote. I really don't understand why that is so confusing for people. That SPECIFIC metric is flawed.

Sorry, seems maybe I jumped in without reading all the posts.

Agree with what you said here.

FWIW, I don't vote in these because I haven't seen many of these guys play.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I can be serious, and I never compared the two. Try reading before insulting. Some people claim Connor Brown over Kapanen because of his play in the AHL regardless of age and high end skill. I'm simply saying the metric from person to person is flawed and different.

Well the post of mine that you originally quoted was about Bracco, so I'm not sure why you quoted me.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kapenen played. 4 games in the ahl last yr tallying 2 points.

Brown played 76 and had 61 points leading his team in scoring
Top rookie point getter in the AHL

12 overall offensive out put in the AHL

Brown was also a +24 for the Marlies last year. He was terrific last year. He just keeps improving. A credit to his determination. I think he's going to wear a letter for us one day. Great role model to have on the team.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
FWIW, I don't vote in these because I haven't seen many of these guys play.

Ah, just giver. It's not like anyone here was watched them all extensively enough to make this accurate. I don't even consider that then intention.

To me, the intention of these polls is more to evaluate the way we think about prospects over the years, not to accurately predict anything.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA

When both players are projected to be top 6 players based on past accomplishments then it makes sense to judge the future based on present skills. Brown who has recently scored consistently at the pro level, played as a two player should be valued more than Kapanen since Kapanen has not done either of those things. Marner has performed at an elite level in juniors so unless he regresses hard, he should be ranked higher.

I think Kapanen has the potential to be better but since Brown has already proven what i hope Kapanen can do, i would rank him as the better prospect.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Kapenen played. 4 games in the ahl last yr tallying 2 points.

Brown played 76 and had 61 points leading his team in scoring
Top rookie point getter in the AHL

12 overall offensive out put in the AHL

Joseph Blandisi put up 112 points in 68 games in the OHL at 20 years old.
Logan Brown put up 43 in 56 games as a 16/17 year old.

If we get on the draft floor next year and are about to pick Logan Brown. We should trade that pick to Colorado for Joseph Blandisi right? Since he's put up a better PPG, he's obviously the better prospect. That's not how it works though

You have to take age into account as well, and like Logan Brown is 3.5 years younger than Blandisi, Kapanen is 2.5 years younger than Connor Brown. You can't compare their seasons directly with each other.

Not to mention 4 games is an extremely small sample size, Nylander put up 2 points in his first 4 AHL games this year as well. 0 in his first 2.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Well the post of mine that you originally quoted was about Bracco, so I'm not sure why you quoted me.

My apologies. I only read what you had written and misunderstood the context. I have never seen Bracco play so I can't comment at all on him lol.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Joseph Blandisi put up 112 points in 68 games in the OHL at 20 years old.
Logan Brown put up 43 in 56 games as a 16/17 year old.

If we get on the draft floor next year and are about to pick Logan Brown. We should trade that pick to Colorado for Joseph Blandisi right? Since he's put up a better PPG, he's obviously the better prospect. That's not how it works though

You have to take age into account as well, and like Logan Brown is 3.5 years younger than Blandisi, Kapanen is 2.5 years younger than Connor Brown. You can't compare their seasons directly with each other.

Not to mention 4 games is an extremely small sample size, Nylander put up 2 points in his first 4 AHL games this year as well. 0 in his first 2.

Exactly this. There is a big difference there that needs to be taken into account. Percy and Harrington - hell even Carrick- are closer to being NHL players, that doesn't mean they are better prospects or have a higher skill level. That being said I really like Connor Brown, but he realistically should be 4 if not 5.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Exactly this. There is a big difference there that needs to be taken into account. Percy and Harrington - hell even Carrick- are closer to being NHL players, that doesn't mean they are better prospects or have a higher skill level. That being said I really like Connor Brown, but he realistically should be 4 if not 5.

Not that I am comparing Connor Brown to Dustin Brown. But if his upside is a top 6 winger, and perhaps Captain or Assistant Captain material once this team is rebuilt with younger players. Isn't this the essence of a valuable prospect?

If you ask me, he is well on his way of doing this. He out played Leivo last season, who is close to a NHL'er also. All I know is every hurdle you have put in front of Connor Brown, he has cleared it with flying colours. I wouldn't bet against him. He's a terrific prospect. I don't attach him being a 6th rd pick as a stigma at all.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Can we end this soon please? Kapanen is 3rd. Brown is 4th. That is clear.

This whole thread is kinda sour. Hard to post an opinion without getting hammered for it. This should be a positive thread. We have so many outstanding young prospects now and the list is going to even deeper within the next calendar year.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Tough choice for me. Brown is the better forward right now, and while Kap is 2 years younger than Connor, I'd be happy if Kap develops his overall game the same way Brown has over the past 2 years.

Can understand why a lot of people feel Brown is the better prospect in this case though. I do feel Kap has the higher upside, so I voted for him here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA