2015 Draft Thread – "McEichel" – Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Does anyone have historical perspective on past true freshman 17-18 year old seasons? How does Eichel compare? He's making big plays in important games against men 20-24 years old - it's damn impressive. The sharpest current theories in scouting in other sports place great importance on age-relative performance. Eichel seems to be outdoing even our own Sammy Watkins' amazing true freshman portfolio.

Toews as a 17yr old at North Dakota in his predraft season

42gms 22g 17a 39pts

EDIT: I haven't really paid attention to who Eichel has played against but 5gms 4g 5a 9pts is a hell of a start relative to what Toews did.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
From what I've seen of Eichel i'd say your criticism isn't completely unfounded. I'd like to see him physically impose himself more on his competition. I would in no way compare him to Phil Kessel though, the guy's as soft as a marshmallow and he also resembles one physically. Also when Kessel isn't scoring he's a completely useless player, Eichel isn't that bad.
I didn't compare him to Phill Kessel at all. He has the same mentality as Kessel. Kessel couldn't care less about the game of Hockey unless the puck is near him. Eichel can be the same way. WHen Eichel sees that the puck is in reach his eyes light up green and he goes. When he doesn't he coasts.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

42gms 22g 17a 39pts

EDIT: I haven't really paid attention to who Eichel has played against but 5gms 4g 5a 9pts is a hell of a start relative to what Toews did.
Eichel at the same age is a far superior athlete. One of the knocks on toews his draft year was explosiveness. Eichel's offense is better for sure but I wasn't impressed by his in zone defense. His backchecking is greatly helped by that nasty speed.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I didn't compare him to Phill Kessel at all. He has the same mentality as Kessel. Kessel couldn't care less about the game of Hockey unless the puck is near him. Eichel can be the same way. WHen Eichel sees that the puck is in reach his eyes light up green and he goes. When he doesn't he coasts.

I noticed some of that as well. But he made up for it some with some respectable back checking. He's not a polished defender yet.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I love Eichel and I'm sure he's a bulldog but he hasn't exactly shown it yet. He could be engaged a lot more than he actually is which is scary to think. Right now he sort of reminds me of Phill Kessel. If he sees that the puck is there for the taking he absolutely is relentless. However if the puck is out of his control he has the habit of skating in circles until it's available.

I will say that for as much talk as there is about McDavid getting even better with weight and power you can say that Eichel will be even better when a coach is able to reel in his bad habits and harness what he's good at.

They're both generational in my eyes which is funny to say since two generational prospects in the same draft kind of contradicts that.
I haven't seen enough of the kid to agree or disagree, but just to be clear, the info I relayed wasn't my opinion but that of some folks close to the situation. The comments weren't in reference to anything physical, but strictly in terms of competitiveness.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

42gms 22g 17a 39pts

Four of the five games have been against Michigan, Michigan State, and Providence (2), all of whom have pretty good teams. He has 5 pts in those four games. He had four points against UMass.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
A Wild fan coming in peace. What would you guys do if the Sabres got the 3rd and 5th (Islanders or Blues). Would you try to trade up to get McEichel or would you be satisfied with Strome and Hanifin/Kylington (whoever doesn't get picked at 4)?

You guys definetely have my sympathy because it's always very tough to lose a lot (expecially for a young roster) and I really am looking forward to watch how your young studs will develop (RR55 and Armia before others :sarcasm:).

You have a bright future and don't forget that!

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
A Wild fan coming in peace. What would you guys do if the Sabres got the 3rd and 5th (Islanders or Blues). Would you try to trade up to get McEichel or would you be satisfied with Strome and Hanifin/Kylington (whoever doesn't get picked at 4)?

You guys definetely have my sympathy because it's always very tough to lose a lot (expecially for a young roster) and I really am looking forward to watch how your young studs will develop (RR55 and Armia before others :sarcasm:).

You have a bright future and don't forget that!

I don't think trading up is realistic so I'd probably say:
#3 - Draft Hanifin
#5 - Draft the best available forward

If some forward continues to rise to the point where they might be considered at #3 then maybe take him and take Kylington at #5. It seems if anyone rises to #3 right now it's Strome and I wouldn't take him over Hanifin in a vacuum. I'd especially not take him over Hanifin for our team, because he's too similar to Reinhart and Grigorenko. However, if we took Hanifin at #3 and he's the clear best forward at #5, I'd take him. Ideally we'd walk out of #3 and #5 with a more dynamic skater, though.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I don't think trading up is realistic so I'd probably say:
#3 - Draft Hanifin
#5 - Draft the best available forward

If some forward continues to rise to the point where they might be considered at #3 then maybe take him and take Kylington at #5. It seems if anyone rises to #3 right now it's Strome and I wouldn't take him over Hanifin in a vacuum. I'd especially not take him over Hanifin for our team, because he's too similar to Reinhart and Grigorenko. However, if we took Hanifin at #3 and he's the clear best forward at #5, I'd take him. Ideally we'd walk out of #3 and #5 with a more dynamic skater, though.

Hanifin + Kylington. :naughty:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Four of the five games have been against Michigan, Michigan State, and Providence (2), all of whom have pretty good teams. He has 5 pts in those four games. He had four points against UMass.

Thanks for fleshing it out for me. That is very impressive

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I definitely see some of those tenedancies in Eichel. If all your comparing between Kessel and Eichel is a similiar mentality in the offensive zone then I'd agree for the most part. I do think Eichel can develop that physicality and grit a guy like Getzlaf has and a cupcake like Kessel doesn't.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Yeah and McDavid hates backchecking. These criticisms are dumb. It's what they can do with the puck on their stick that makes them special.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yeah and McDavid hates backchecking. These criticisms are dumb. It's what they can do with the puck on their stick that makes them special.

Without the defensive play the rest of their game gets hurt. It's this weird thing about hockey were you have to play at both ends. The criticism of their defense is simply noticing something they need to work on. Nevermind all hail the perfect prospects who are so sick at offense that I am blind to every other part of the game... Super dumb:help:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I am scared that if we do not get McEichel then our rebuild gets delayed

I disagree. Designing a rebuild upon getting a specific player (or one of two specific players) does not seem like particularly good planning. Getting McDavid or Eichel accelerates the rebuild. Getting one of those two is what should be changing plans, not missing out on them.

Bps21*

We need forwards with top talent. The whole reason we are down here is because this is the only way we can get them. Got the one they believe will be the best in the 2014 draft. That's the start. Now We need another. And yes...I'm aware that guys become top scorer from other draft spots than here...but not as likely to happen as proven by...facts. You can get forwards that give you great stuff in the middle of the round (Girgensons...someone pointed out on twitter that if he'd gone the college route instead of signing here right away he'd be a junior at Vermont right now. Think about THAT)...but those elite skilled scores...the ones we have none of...this is where they live. This year more than most.

So if we end third and take an elite d prospect...fine. But we will still be needing another top forward. If we draft second or first and get mceichel...we don't need to go find that other defensemen. It isn't even close to how our cupboards are stocked.

I count zero top line players. If you get one great one he can make the others rise to it. If you have none...well...we will be down here a while

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I am scared that if we do not get McEichel then our rebuild gets delayed

The top rated prospect pool as it stands, set to add THREE first round picks to that stable.

I'm not worried.

In fact, I've already prepared myself for the certain disappointment of not landing either Eichel or McDanatch... And I am confident we will be okay.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Without the defensive play the rest of their game gets hurt. It's this weird thing about hockey were you have to play at both ends. The criticism of their defense is simply noticing something they need to work on. Nevermind all hail the perfect prospects who are so sick at offense that I am blind to every other part of the game... Super dumb:help:

Almost all of the top scorers in the league are marginal defensive players, but are still great. 99.9% of 18 year olds need to learn to play without the puck. The criticism is dumb.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I disagree. Designing a rebuild upon getting a specific player (or one of two specific players) does not seem like particularly good planning. Getting McDavid or Eichel accelerates the rebuild. Getting one of those two is what should be changing plans, not missing out on them.

You just agreed with me saying that if we get mceichel then it accelerates the rebuild. I said if we don't get them we have to wait longer for others to develop. The later round first picks and other early picks are likely 3+ years away

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
The top rated prospect pool as it stands, set to add THREE first round picks to that stable.

I'm not worried.

In fact, I've already prepared myself for the certain disappointment of not landing either Eichel or McDanatch... And I am confident we will be okay.

I agree we will be okay that not what I argued. I am just saying if we don't get one of them the rebuild is longer because other picks are going to take longer to develop the later in the first. (At least most likely)

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Almost all of the top scorers in the league are marginal defensive players, but are still great. 99.9% of 18 year olds need to learn to play without the puck. The criticism is dumb.
Most vets are competent defensively but they hide deficiencies because they possess the puck so well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad