2015 Draft Thread – "McEichel" – Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yes, super early, but your point is a good one, and even better than you may think. Eichel is a freshman as we all know. I can tell you with personal authority that transitioning to college and college hockey is a big challenge in and of itself. It takes a while (times vary, but it's rarely quick) to get adjusted to everything that entails. It helps he's matriculating near to home, but only a bit. So keeping that in mind, and seeing the level he's playing at right off the bat, and against that level of competition, it's very impressive. As he further adjusts, he should get better.

Eichel could end up having the best draft eligible freshman season since Paul Kariya at Maine in 92-93.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Really hoping Jeremy Roy sticks around for our 2nd pick. Got a feeling he's going top 10 though.

J.Roy, Werenski or Kylington. Evethough we have more needs in wings, for some reason I want to pick one d-man with great offensive upside. Wingers can also be obtained easier other ways.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
J.Roy, Werenski or Kylington. Evethough we have more needs in wings, for some reason I want to pick one d-man with great offensive upside. Wingers can also be obtained easier other ways.

I agree. I want one of those d-men with our second 1st rounder. Then with the 3rd first rounder take one of the power wingers. If the 3rd first rounder is late we will probably have to move up to obtain one of them.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Tanking for McDavid, Eichel necessary evil for NHL’s worst: Arthur
By: Bruce Arthur - Toronto Star

You know how you forget how big horses really are until you’re right next to one, and then you’re agog? When the Buffalo Sabres came to town last week, it was like that, but for bad hockey. It was a revelation. The players were upbeat in the morning, cheerfully polishing off the morning skate, and then they went out and managed 10 shots, versus taking eight penalties, against the Leafs. The Leafs! Buffalo coach Ted Nolan called it “mind-baffling,†which is not even a real expression, but works anyway.

This is the year of the tank in the National Hockey League, in theory. 17-year-old Connor McDavid has seven four-point games in 14 tries, and is on pace for about 180 points on the season. Jack Eichel, the presumptive No. 2 pick, is wooing scouts at Boston University. Franchise changers, they say. The kind of players money can’t buy.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
ISS Top 30: http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

Rank Player Position Team League
1 McDavid, Connor C Erie OHL
2 Eichel, Jack C Boston University H.E.
3 Hanifin, Noah LD Boston College H.E.
4 Brazal, Mathew C Seattle WHL
5 Strome, Dylan C Erie OHL
6 Werenski, Zach RD Michigan BigTen
7 Kylington, Oliver RD Farhestad SweE
8 Zacha, Pavel C Sarnia OHL
9 Crouse, Lawson LW Kingston OHL
10 Konecny, Travis C Ottawa OHL

Alexns05

Oct 30, 2014
What do you guys think about that Islanders pick? Looks like they're getting ready to crash and burn

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Five chances to see McDavid LIVE in the next week or so - Thursday, November 6 at Niagara Ice Dogs - 7:00 pm ET.
Friday, November 7 vs Sarnia Sting - 7:00 pm ET. Saturday, November 8 vs Saginaw Spirit - 7:00 pm ET.
Tuesday, November 11 vs Mississauga Steelheads - 5:30 pm ET. Friday, November 14 at Niagara Ice Dogs - 7:00 pm ET.

Eichel/Hanifin On TV - Friday, November 7 - Boston University at Boston College - 8:00 pm ET -
TV - NBCSN - Online - NBC LIVE Extra via NBCSports.com

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Has anybody watched werenski this year? He looks like a realistic option with the Isles pick if they end up near the top ten to fifteen. I like what I've read but haven't seen any game footage.

RocSabres

Jul 21, 2014
Realistically speaking what range do you think the Islanders pick would have to be in to get Werenski? We would all love for the Isles to win the lottery but they're probably too good of a team to get such high odds and a decent chance of winning the lottery. Werenski so far I see as a kid who has number 1 LHD potential written all over for him. And currently I'm not sure we see a LHD in our system with number 1 potential like this kid has. I see Zads a great number 2 playing behind this kid if he pans out as Buffalo's Keith.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Realistically speaking what range do you think the Islanders pick would have to be in to get Werenski? We would all love for the Isles to win the lottery but they're probably too good of a team to get such high odds and a decent chance of winning the lottery. Werenski so far I see as a kid who has number 1 LHD potential written all over for him. And currently I'm not sure we see a LHD in our system with number 1 potential like this kid has. I see Zads a great number 2 playing behind this kid if he pans out as Buffalo's Keith.

It's waaaaay too early to tell where the Isles pick lands.

It's not just about how good or bad the Isles are, but the other teams in that division like the Rangers & Flyers, too.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Too early to know for either, but un less werenski keeps these numbers up all year I bet he falls out of the top ten. Historically forwards go before d if they are close talent wise. With so many top forwards I'm hoping we could steal him outside the top ten

Hanifan and kylington are likely picked before him.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I don't know what I would even do if we won the lottery and got McDavid, I can't even make my self think about it and basically have been envisioning Eichel or Hanifin. If we actually won the lottery that would be possibly the greatest thing to ever happen to the Sabres, he is a true superstar who will put up 120-140 points a year when he stays healthy, I personally think he is going to be the best in the world in short order. I just hope the team that wins his rights realise how fortunate they are to get him. I'll be a fan even if it's not for us. Where as I view McDavid becoming generational player in the NHL no question in my mind Jack Eichel is just below that, it's crazy.

this x100

Bps21*

I just follow Eichel , assume I'm getting him to add to my awesome pool of Girgensons, Reinhart and grigorenko...and thinking about how just a couple years ago all my Cs were connolly, Roy, Gaustad, Hecht. And I smile.

McDavid is this abstract concept that I don't spend any time concerning myself with. Call it buffalo luck...or that the league will...I'll put it...find a way...to put him in a city that needs help caring about hockey...or just that there is only at best a 20% chance we get him anyway...but it doesn't seem worth thinking about.

If the balls were to drop in our favor for the first time in forever...I don't even know how I'd react. If probably be a dick about it.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
B1w0dFbIIAAJueF.jpg

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Connor McDavid may be better than Crosby
The statistics are backing up what the hockey world has started to believe.

Connor McDavid is better than Sidney Crosby was at age 17.

That's not to say the Erie Otters star will automatically go on and score massive goals in two Olympic finals or win a Stanley Cup for whatever downtrodden NHL team picks him first overall next June, the way No. 87 has in Pittsburgh.

But this kid, who is ripping apart the OHL offensively right now, is superior to the player Crosby was for the Rimouski Oceanic a decade ago.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Has anybody watched werenski this year? He looks like a realistic option with the Isles pick if they end up near the top ten to fifteen. I like what I've read but haven't seen any game footage.

I saw him play vs Lowell a few weeks ago, and I saw him a couple nights after that.... he scored in both games, looked good manning the point. looks big and thick for his age, and moves very well for his size/age. powerful stride. and really pushes the puck when its on his stick. definitely has an aggressive offensive nature. defensively, he was kind of a mess. not a lot of zone awareness when it comes to spacing and time.

bottom line: offensive tools are legit. skating and size are very impreesive. defense is a work in progress.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Ugh. I want McDavid badly. But I know we have zero chance at getting him. Eichel better turn out to be a 100 point player too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->