2015 Draft Thread – "McEichel" – Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Eichel buries a wrister for a SH goal at 3:21. 4-1 BU. Eichel kicked the O'Regan pass from his skates to his stick and sniped it past Gillies with a quick release.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Eichel has put up 4G 4A for 8 points in 4 regular season games. He's doing pretty good against men vice the kids he'd face in Juniors. If you add in the 5 assists against St Thomas and the 3 points against the USNTDP that gives him 16 points in 6 games.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo

RaNKxW4.jpg

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Bugs me that they don't mention the difference in leagues. The casual fan would think McDavid is that much better than Eichel from this graphic.

Or that Eichel had the primary assist in a 1-0 win, and his goal was the tying goal in the third period, and these were against two of the most historically great teams in college. If that is quiet, I'm not sure how to make noise.

Bps21*

To be fair I'm sure that USA today doesn't know the difference between the competition.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
In happier news than the Buf-Pit game, I just got back from the Otters game. McDavid had a filthy dangle that led to the first otter goal. Nothing new beside kid has excellent nhl speed already, but I will say almost no backchecking occurred and about the only time he was in his own end was if ottawa had full possession. I'm sure its nothing to be worried about but I kinda hated it as much as I loved his offense which was unreal. A lil Mario esque. For better and worse.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Also first live viewing of konecy. Didn't blow me away. I know he has had a slow start, but not super engaged and he's a good skater but not what I'd call fantastic which could be a real problem at his size. He's tiny even in juniors.

Zero I know he's your guy. Did I just see an off night?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Strome reminds me a lot of Grigorenko right diwn to the skating needing a couple years to be nhl ready but love the way he looks to feed his linemates.

Sorry for the spam.

ZeroPT*

Also first live viewing of konecy. Didn't blow me away. I know he has had a slow start, but not super engaged and he's a good skater but not what I'd call fantastic which could be a real problem at his size. He's tiny even in juniors.

He's had a rough start. He usually is always super engaged. He plays alot like Bennett, always in hyper drive, chasing the puck, a more skilled but smaller Girgensons is what I saw and I fell in love.

He's had a rough start as I mentioned and I think it'll continue because of the hit he suffered against Plymouth. You can see he's thinking twice when in the corners or along the boards. He's playing timid after a rocky start. He'll get his **** together eventually but for now it doesn't look too great.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He's had a rough start. He usually is always super engaged. He plays alot like Bennett, always in hyper drive, chasing the puck, a more skilled but smaller Girgensons is what I saw and I fell in love.

He's had a rough start as I mentioned and I think it'll continue because of the hit he suffered against Plymouth. You can see he's thinking twice when in the corners or along the boards. He's playing timid after a rocky start. He'll get his **** together eventually but for now it doesn't look too great.

Gotcha. Ya a lot of perimeter play and didn't want try to reallyvtake command of the puck. A little to much letting his teammates carry the puck and watch rather than getting in position.

Biggest surprise was the lack of burst. The hit could be it if he's hiding a concussion or some other injury. Hope he gets back on track.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't know what I would even do if we won the lottery and got McDavid, I can't even make my self think about it and basically have been envisioning Eichel or Hanifin. If we actually won the lottery that would be possibly the greatest thing to ever happen to the Sabres, he is a true superstar who will put up 120-140 points a year when he stays healthy, I personally think he is going to be the best in the world in short order. I just hope the team that wins his rights realise how fortunate they are to get him. I'll be a fan even if it's not for us. Where as I view McDavid becoming generational player in the NHL no question in my mind Jack Eichel is just below that, it's crazy.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

I saw him live the other day as well and he was just OK. For him to be a high first round pick he needs to be a lot more then just OK at 5-8. He started the year pretty high for me but has taken himself out of the conversation as a top 10 pick and more around 20. I think Marner, Strome, Crouse, and Zacha are better prospects from the OHL alone.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
McDavid highlights, note the first clip/assist:

That first assist was right in front of my seats last night. His hands were super slick but the thought to make the move and the pass instead of shooting at the ready goalie is what makes him so special.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I really want McDavid over Eichel but I would settle for Eichel if we dont win the lottery. I realize the difference in leagues but McDavid I have seen numerous times now and I'm going to see him again this Thursday at the Ice Dogs game and he is absolutely amazing and fun to watch. He will defiantly put Sabres fans back in the seats for the long haul.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
McDavid is something special but I believe Eichel is as well. I need to watch more of Eichel though. I think they both bring something to the table. I see Eichel as a better skating Getzlaf. Which if he were to hit his potential would be a ridiculously dominating force in the NHL. I see McDavid as a better skating Crosby....We need to finish last....

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
McDavid is something special but I believe Eichel is as well.
Agreed. The flash is there with McDavid. He's just fun to watch and is still my first choice. But having just spoken to some friends at BU with inside scoopage and hockey knowledge, Eichel is an absolute "bulldog" (actual quote) in-game who will beat down the opponent to win. "Relentless" is another word used. I've spoken to many in the know and these accolades keep pouring in. If we finish dead last, there's no reason to be anything less than thrilled.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Agreed. The flash is there with McDavid. He's just fun to watch and is still my first choice. But having just spoken to some friends at BU with inside scoopage and hockey knowledge, Eichel is an absolute "bulldog" (actual quote) in-game who will beat down the opponent to win. "Relentless" is another word used. I've spoken to many in the know and these accolades keep pouring in. If we finish dead last, there's no reason to be anything less than thrilled.
I love Eichel and I'm sure he's a bulldog but he hasn't exactly shown it yet. He could be engaged a lot more than he actually is which is scary to think. Right now he sort of reminds me of Phill Kessel. If he sees that the puck is there for the taking he absolutely is relentless. However if the puck is out of his control he has the habit of skating in circles until it's available.

I will say that for as much talk as there is about McDavid getting even better with weight and power you can say that Eichel will be even better when a coach is able to reel in his bad habits and harness what he's good at.

They're both generational in my eyes which is funny to say since two generational prospects in the same draft kind of contradicts that.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I love Eichel and I'm sure he's a bulldog but he hasn't exactly shown it yet. He could be engaged a lot more than he actually is which is scary to think. Right now he sort of reminds me of Phill Kessel. If he sees that the puck is there for the taking he absolutely is relentless. However if the puck is out of his control he has the habit of skating in circles until it's available.

I will say that for as much talk as there is about McDavid getting even better with weight and power you can say that Eichel will be even better when a coach is able to reel in his bad habits and harness what he's good at.

They're both generational in my eyes which is funny to say since two generational prospects in the same draft kind of contradicts that.

From what I've seen of Eichel i'd say your criticism isn't completely unfounded. I'd like to see him physically impose himself more on his competition. I would in no way compare him to Phil Kessel though, the guy's as soft as a marshmallow and he also resembles one physically. Also when Kessel isn't scoring he's a completely useless player, Eichel isn't that bad.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Does anyone have historical perspective on past true freshman 17-18 year old seasons? How does Eichel compare? He's making big plays in important games against men 20-24 years old - it's damn impressive. The sharpest current theories in scouting in other sports place great importance on age-relative performance. Eichel seems to be outdoing even our own Sammy Watkins' amazing true freshman portfolio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad