Prospect Info: 2015-2016 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I thought this was kind of funny: McCarron said. “Just a multitude of things, and the Canadian dollar is pretty low right and taking finance at Cornell, I kind of understand that. It was a few things and I talked to my brother at length about it and he understood too and he always wishes the best for me.”

Does him and his cornell finance major realize contracts are paid in USD? LOL

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
http://fullcourtpress.cornellsun.com/2015/09/16/john-mccarron-penguins-oilers-cornell-hockey/

McCarron on feeling slighted by the Oilers

Got offered a deal but felt it was a lowball. Cant say I feel bad, didnt produce any offense and even better guys like Roy and Houck didnt get contracts. Plus Oilers got an influx of forwards on AHL deals

I was disappointed the Oilers didn't sign him, however after reading that article where he says he turned down an offer from the Oilers then that's his own choice and good on the Oilers holding firm on their offer. Assuming it was an ELC he should have been happy to get an offer. He would have had a two year deal coming out of college, most AHL guys on ELC's make the same money. Given where he was drafted and the season he had he didn't deserve a signing bonus. If he's good enough to crack the NHL in year two of that deal then he's got one year on an at worst league minimum deal. If he's too good to prove himself then he can enjoy his AHL deal with Pittsburgh. Obviously he overestimated his worth.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I thought this was kind of funny: McCarron said. “Just a multitude of things, and the Canadian dollar is pretty low right and taking finance at Cornell, I kind of understand that. It was a few things and I talked to my brother at length about it and he understood too and he always wishes the best for me.â€

Does him and his cornell finance major realize contracts are paid in USD? LOL

I had honestly forgotten that this guy was even drafted by us before I read the article.

Lowball. He should be thankful that the Oilers even remembered that he was our property.

LOL at the CDN$ comment as well. I guess it takes a finance major to understand how currency exchange works.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Just looking at the OP, crazy to see that we'll only have 3 prospects playing in the CHL next year. Gonna be some real slim pickings for the Rookie Tournament next year....

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
We only have 2 players in the CHL? wow.

Bouchard, Jones, Bear

However gotta love the AHL competition. Its not as sexy because they arent putting up 70+ like a CHLer will. But if a player has a good AHL year, thats much better for the NHL club. Much harder to do

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Saw yakimov and slepyshev out last night at a restaurant. Had a mini fan girl moment because I knew who he was but my gf and friends had no idea. I was just like, well they aren't technically oilers like hall is, they are from Russia and will be oilers soon

Yakimov is massive. He was imposing just walking. He's one of the strongest looking nhlers I've seen and I've seen string vets. Slepy looked big but was dwarfed by yakimov

To have a prospect that big in our system is good. But for him to have hands and good hockey IQ and can play is special.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
We only have 2 players in the CHL? wow.

That's what happens when your top 100 picks in the last two drafts are 1st, 3rd and 91st. There's going to be a vacuum at the AHL in a couple years, the only forward they've taken other than Draisaitl and McDavid is Tyler Vesel

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
John Marino has 3 assists through 2 periods of his season opener in Tri City.

Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones should be opening their seasons any moment now.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Ethan Bear with an assist and +2 in a 3-2 loss to Vanvouver. Takes a delay of game penalty and Vancouver scores the game winner with 2:42 remaining in the 3rd.

Caleb Jones -1 in a 4-1 loss to Victoria. Had a scrap with 6'3" 205 lbs Keith Anderson after the game got to be 4-0 in the 2nd period.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Caleb Jones is now Portlands leading scorer after a 1 goal, 2 assist and +4 performance against Victoria. Didn't watch the game but maybe I should, being +4 in a 5-6 loss is pretty good.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Not our prospect anymore but Loik Leveille just had a nice sniping goal in overtime against Halifax.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Caleb Jones is now Portlands leading scorer after a 1 goal, 2 assist and +4 performance against Victoria. Didn't watch the game but maybe I should, being +4 in a 5-6 loss is pretty good.

Thanks, I went looking for his scrap last night but it wasn't up yet. I think that he could be a steal for us. His mobility and passing were top notch IMO.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Marino, Bear and Jones have much higher upside than the regular Oilers selections in those rounds. It's too bad they had to spend so many picks replacing the players that MacTavish spent so many picks acquiring.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Marino, Bear and Jones have much higher upside than the regular Oilers selections in those rounds. It's too bad they had to spend so many picks replacing the players that MacTavish spent so many picks acquiring.

Agreed although I was a little underwhelmed with Bear. IMO he needs to get stronger and faster but the skill is there.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Really high on Jones. Hes looks like a late first or second round talent with his tools. I think hell be the one to break out and show some top 4 upside.

50 points would be big for him

Bear is solid but hes a long shot kind of guy

jackstar

Oct 17, 2011
For those that were wondering earlier where Daniil Zharkov went, he is at the Bakersfield camp on a tryout.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
I have updated my NHL point prediction model (NHLP) for evaluating draft eligible CHL forwards. % contribution to team scoring has now been factored into the model.

I have also applied the NHLP formula to every top 3 overall pick since 1998. See how Oilers McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, RNH and Yakupov compare to other top 3 picks in my latest post.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Bust a move

Here are my top 5 Oiler prospects turn into suspects

Jozef Cierny: I thought this guy was going to be a steal when oilers acquired him from Buffalo in Simpson deal.
Good size and excellent speed, at that time he reminded me of Mikael Renberg

Steven Rice: High scoring power forward out of Kitchener who lacks of foot speed and i thought he was going to
be mini-version of Andreychuk

Alexei Mikhnov: unknown prospect, definitely the hype was there like comparisions of next Bobby Holik

Robbie Schremp: world class skills, too much parties, girls and immaturity

Vladdy Vujtek: oh boy, this guy had some unbelievable moves, it is still a mystery how this guy could not crack up the NHL
roster.

honorable mentions are: Bonsignore, Werenka, stajduhar etc.

who disappointed you the most?

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
To many to care right near the eve of a new season, with real change and positivity. Probably time to start considering letting go a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad