Speculation: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part XVIII Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ideal Rangers line-up for the post season.

Van Riemsdyk-Hayes-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Etem/Buchnevich-Brassard-Zucc
Lindberg-Moore-Fast
Stalberg

McDonagh-Girardi
Yandle-Klein
Skjei-Boyle

Hank
Anti

Staal for JVR trade.

If Staal has any input (and he will), if he even agrees to go, perhaps only because Skjei and maybe Yandle are taking too many mins, he won't go to TML. I'm seeing more Jets/Blues, who are strong on RD and a lefty for balance they'd welcome; or maybe Sens, 'cause Ottawa is closer to home. Other fits possible. Do not see Leafs as one.

Forget about re-signing Yandle if his role is playing him in sheltered situations and on the PP. The trade is over and done with. Ride him and let him leave as a free agent. The Rangers have Skjei at $925,000 to be their 3rd pair D. Yandle has a $5.75M salary for this season. $5.25M cap hit. Skjei will not need much time in the AHL before he is ready NHL. He has already played two months of pro hockey. Those are two more months than McDonagh played when he turned pro in 2010.

I agree we will see Skjei here sooner than later.
Whether or not Yandle should go will depend upon what people would pay for him.

However, if he commands what conventional wisdom expects him to (comparable to what NY gave up for him at min), there is no justified basis in letting him go for nothing.

I don't care if he's the second coming of Bobby Orr.
I don't care if it helps win the Cup.

To have AN ONGOING chance to compete yearly, we need Yandle's value here with the team, either in terms of production as a player or what assets he brings in trade.

That perspective must dominate and override ...

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If Staal has any input (and he will), if he even agrees to go, perhaps only because Skjei and maybe Yandle are taking too many mins, he won't go to TML. I'm seeing more Jets/Blues, who are strong on RD and a lefty for balance they'd welcome; or maybe Sens, 'cause Ottawa is closer to home. Other fits possible. Do not see Leafs as one.

However, if he commands what conventional wisdom expects him to (comparable to what NY gave up for him at min), there is no justified basis in letting him go for nothing.

To have AN ONGOING chance to compete yearly, we need Yandle's value here with the team, either in terms of production as a player or what assets he brings in trade.

I would take one cup and go through a rebuild than be a perpetual contender who just quite doesn't have enough to do it.

Him or Bergenheim unless he signed somewhere.

Glencross was such a hot commodity not to long ago. Washington gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for him. He put up 35 points last year. I am kind of shocked he is still unsigned. Bergenheim on the other hand...

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Glencross was horrible last season. He turned the puck over in game 5 in OT. Fast makes a nice play getting the puck over to Stepan. Glencross comes back into the play and he does nothing. He runs over Mike Green. Doesn't take anyone. If you wanted to show kids in hockey camp what not to do,show them Glencross in game 5.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Glencross was such a hot commodity not to long ago. Washington gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for him. He put up 35 points last year. I am kind of shocked he is still unsigned. Bergenheim on the other hand...

I think Glencross probably priced himself out of the initial rush, and I'd be surprised if he was interested in a one year deal. Hard for a team to justify given his age and durability issues. Not to mention his awful playoff performance.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think Glencross probably priced himself out of the initial rush, and I'd be surprised if he was interested in a one year deal. Hard for a team to justify given his age and durability issues. Not to mention his awful playoff performance.

I don't disagree. I guess my point was that it is rare to see a team give up that much for a player to go unsigned and end up only getting a PTO the following year.

BarbaraAlphanse

Glencross was horrible last season. He turned the puck over in game 5 in OT. Fast makes a nice play getting the puck over to Stepan. Glencross comes back into the play and he does nothing. He runs over Mike Green. Doesn't take anyone. If you wanted to show kids in hockey camp what not to do,show them Glencross in game 5.

One game defines a player? What do 60 do for Nash?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Glencross is horrible, but not because of 1 play where he put on his best Glass imitation

BarbaraAlphanse

Some posters complain when no evidence is used to support an argument. RB does that and now he still gets crap for it? Is he supposed to give you highlights of every game that Glencross played last year and explain where it was he sucked each and every game?

I don't understand this train of thought?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don't understand this train of thought?

Unless I misinterpreted what you were saying... I am saying that RB is providing evidence of why he thinks Glencross is terrible. I read your post as accusing him of defining a player based off one game. Maybe RB is right, Glencross really is terrible and that is why he still hasn't been signed yet?

BarbaraAlphanse

Unless I misinterpreted what you were saying... I am saying that RB is providing evidence of why he thinks Glencross is terrible. I read your post as accusing him of defining a player based off one game. Maybe RB is right, Glencross really is terrible and that is why he still hasn't been signed yet?

Maybe my point was too subtle? I'm saying that fans, collectively, on this board will condemn a player from one game but are willing to say the jury is out on Nash and his underperformance in 60?

That doesn't make much sense to me. Neither does the logic that you can use one point in time to appraise a player. Way too small of a sample.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Maybe my point was too subtle? I'm saying that fans, collectively, on this board will condemn a player from one game but are willing to say the jury is out on Nash and his underperformance in 60?

That doesn't make much sense to me. Neither does the logic that you can use one point in time to appraise a player. Way too small of a sample.

Sorry. I absolutely misinterpreted what you were saying there Rust.

BarbaraAlphanse

Sorry. I absolutely misinterpreted what you were saying there Rust.

I made that easy to do with my **** of a descriptive response.

Kind of like me saying blue and expecting you to understand that cubicle lining is blue.

Don't blame you.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It's a shame too, because maybe if they had rotated through a carousel of other defenseman instead, people would realize how good Lundqvist has been and how completely overrated this defense core has been since his arrival.

Like last year when everyone was hurt and the team did pretty poorly?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The sarcasm on these boards has really ruined this place. Yep continue to force everything into a confrontational uninviting zone.

But since were going there, did i say the defense was perfect? You quoted the post so where did you read that? Point it out for me. No maybe i'm sick of reading the constant extreme claiming our whole defense is overrated. Oh wait, if i do that then this is going to turn into the next three pages of a Girardi bashing which is so undeserving. You want to argue some of the contracts are tough to maintain in a cap world, fine. But the things that are said here, the opinions thrown out there make this place unbearable. Got it, henrik is so dominant that we should be icing a bunch of rookies/vets all on ELCs/league minimums and McDonagh. Thats it. Save all the money, Henrik doesnt need much in front of him. Ignore the flaws in his game, moments of weakness he has. Block out the beginning of last season when we had guys like Kostka lacing it up and the defense looked miserable.

I agree completely. Too many people come here too often just looking for Internet fights and it makes this site way less worthwhile.

People say you don't want "fun" - but, reading the same snide hyperbole over and over isn't "fun." Being dismissed when you try to question points that are made only with shallow hostility isn't fun either.

And this strawman that anyone who doesn't want to hear this garbage therefore doesn't want to discuss the team is beyond weak. There's a canyon of space between discussing the teams flaws and the kind of bs that makes up most posts here on any given day.

Maybe it's because it's summer. I hope so at least. I used to really enjoy this site.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I don't see Staal losing all that many minutes. I expect he'll come in around 20 minutes next year. Barring injury to Staal--Skjei is not going to come out of his first training camp replacing Marc in the lineup. Not going to happen unless Staal gets hurts.

Your geography is a bit off. People think just because someone is born and raised in Ontario that they have to be close to Toronto, Ottawa or Buffalo--by far the closest NHL destinations to Staal's hometown Thunder Bay Ontario would be Minneapolis and Winnipeg. Ontario is a huge ****ing province and if you come from Windsor (a pretty big Canadian city) for instance all you have to do is cross a bridge and you're in Detroit.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not necessarily against the idea of bringing Glencross to training camp as a tryout but he probably wouldn't be my first choice. I think I'd look at Erik Cole before him. Cole is older but he's bigger, faster and stronger and still has a bit of a scoring touch. That guy has always been an excellent skater.

Anyway to add to the Glencross debate--he's not the same player he was a few years ago. He's more than a bit on the decline. I wouldn't want to put a lot of money on him. He might be able to fit as a 4th liner.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
How was my response inferring that my opinion was the be and end all? Nope I'm pretty sure it didn't come off that way unless you have a hard time with reading comprehension which seems to be the glaring issue on these boards over the past year. I have a hard time agreeing with this defense, as a whole, being "overrated" when it just came off a SCF and ECF appearance in back-to-back years. That is sheer incompetency as a fan to make such claims. Go ask Penguins fans if they would like to have pretty much everyone of our defenseman somewhere in their 6. Or how about Islander fans over guys like Hickey in their defense. It is ignorance really. Fans of other teams envy our defense and if you don't think so then i really don't know what to tell you. The Rangers did not make those runs solely on the back of Henrik. And no that is not me saying Henrik was bad before you respond with another post of misinterpretation. That is me saying it was a combination of quality defenseman and an all star goalie.

Also, NEVER once stated the defense was "perfect." Nope not once. I'd love to discuss the flaws in a guy like Girardi or Yandle or Boyle or any of them for that matter. But quite honestly I feel like I have to defend these guys because people like you just constantly BURY them as if they have no positive attributes. As if they are Michael Kostka. This isn't a discussion board, this isn't a roster building thread on how to "improve" the team. This is a bash fest of our own players, some like Girardi who have been with the organization for several years through deep playoff runs. How bad could these guys possibly be? You would think they would all be #5/6's on every other team after making these deep playoff runs. There is no loyalty in this fan base to the players. Hardly any. It is all about what is the next shiny new toy and how can we obtain it...and in the process we are going to ridicule and pick apart the player we want to get rid of to obtain that piece even though that player has offered us a lot over the years whether you want to believe it or not. Nope, sorry this is not a discussion.

I wish the "discussion" was yeah we have one bad contract too many on that defense and we kinda need to move it to manage the team. But that turns into a massive hanging of Girardi and Staal. It is unnecessary. And all the while the REALITY is, this team is set for training camp other than maybe a vet forward invite. Yet everyday, it turns into the same topic of conversation.

But hey just keep beating the :deadhorse, talking in circles. Much more productive during your summer days...which I am going to now continue to enjoy after taking a pit stop to see if there was anything worthwhile reading here. Silly me, just the same old white noise.

Well what's the point of staying "loyal" to a player, and then they are gone? Do you still keep your "loyalty" to them when they are slotted into a lineup on a different team? People have to realize that hockey is a business and that you can't always stay "loyal" to a player. For example, do you think the Oilers ever wanted to trade Gretzky? **** no. It's too tough to stay "loyal" to players, when you always know there is a chance of them not being here the next day.(Unless you are Hank, for the Rangers.)

That's why I think people don't stay loyal, at least. Also.... people always use the ECF's and SCF appearances as an argument that Girardi is good...(which is sort of getting on my nerves now)

It doesn't make him good, you usually get lucky to make it where you are in the playoffs, plus when you have big time goalie Henrik Lundqvist backstopping you, I think you can win some hockey games in the playoffs. Hockey is a team sport, something the team does as a whole doesn't make one individual greater, unless they made a great impact(like Lundqvist makes a great impact).

Edit: I really don't think Girardi is horrible(well...that is sort of a lie) it's more like I don't think he belongs anywhere near the 1st pair, 3rd pair I would probably be just fine with.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Not necessarily against the idea of bringing Glencross to training camp as a tryout but he probably wouldn't be my first choice. I think I'd look at Erik Cole before him. Cole is older but he's bigger, faster and stronger and still has a bit of a scoring touch. That guy has always been an excellent skater.

Anyway to add to the Glencross debate--he's not the same player he was a few years ago. He's more than a bit on the decline. I wouldn't want to put a lot of money on him. He might be able to fit as a 4th liner.

I'm not interested in Glencross personally, would rather get a Santorelli, or a Boyes.(If we got Santorelli, I would put Hayes at 2RW)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm not interested in Glencross personally, would rather get a Santorelli, or a Boyes.(If we got Santorelli, I would put Hayes at 2RW)

Cole is a big body--he hits. He's a disciplined player--can kill penalties--a physical winger who does not take a lot of penalties. He's always been an excellent skater--and one with size. He's 36 now--he's had injuries---those would be the biggest concerns. 21 goals and 39 points in 68 games last year--those are pretty good numbers. He has size--can really skate and he will drive the net. If he can stay away from injuries his size on the wing and grit would be helpful for a playoff run. Did I mention he is big and can really skate?

Early in his career a lot of people looked at him in a similar way to how we look at Kreider now. After he had his neck broken by Mr. Orpik his game took a step back. It took him a while to get back to kind of where he was before. It's similar in respect to Staal who has never quite been the same since the concussion and then the eye injury. That doesn't mean that Marc turned into a piece of crap--he's still a good player--it's just that he's not as good as he once was because of a couple unfortunate events.

To me Cole would be more interesting than Santorelli but if Santorelli were willing to try out with the Rangers I'd have no problem with that either.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I 100% understand why the Caps are going to pass on CG, with the additions of Oshie and Williams and the emergence of Burakowsky it makes CG an un-needed piece.

The odd thing for me is why would the Flames let him go? Were they that rich at the forward position that they could afford to trade him without getting a body in return?

Or did they see this as a case where the game may be moving in a direction that doesn't lend itself very well to his set of skills.

And if that's the case, wouldn't he be a weaker version of Lee Stempniak?

Unless Glass is served his walking papers, I see no spot on this team for CG

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I 100% understand why the Caps are going to pass on CG, with the additions of Oshie and Williams and the emergence of Burakowsky it makes CG an un-needed piece.

The odd thing for me is why would the Flames let him go? Were they that rich at the forward position that they could afford to trade him without getting a body in return?

Or did they see this as a case where the game may be moving in a direction that doesn't lend itself very well to his set of skills.

And if that's the case, wouldn't he be a weaker version of Lee Stempniak?

Unless Glass is served his walking papers, I see no spot on this team for CG

Flames have to re-sign Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano, Hudler, Hiller and Ramo, Colborne, Russell at the end of the 15-16 season, that could have been a factor for them.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I agree completely. Too many people come here too often just looking for Internet fights and it makes this site way less worthwhile.

People say you don't want "fun" - but, reading the same snide hyperbole over and over isn't "fun." Being dismissed when you try to question points that are made only with shallow hostility isn't fun either.

And this strawman that anyone who doesn't want to hear this garbage therefore doesn't want to discuss the team is beyond weak. There's a canyon of space between discussing the teams flaws and the kind of bs that makes up most posts here on any given day.

Maybe it's because it's summer. I hope so at least. I used to really enjoy this site.

You do realize that this snide back and forth started because the poster you quoted came along and said "LOL this defense isn't overrated, move along" right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino