Speculation: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part XVIII Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If AV would just get over his lefty/righty fetish we could play Staal and Yandle together and not worry about it.

I get the advantage of handedness, but it shouldn't get to the point where it compromises asset management.

If Skjei is ready I could see this, then trade Klein and have Skjei-Boyle as a 3rd pair.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
At this point, Staal is the 3rd pairing defender. He will be playing with Boyle, who should ideally be playing 15-16 minutes a game.

The 50 point potential Yandle will certainly not be considered the third pairing guy. The value there is so much more significant than what Staal is capable of bringing.

Thanks for the input. What will be your reaction when this doesn't happen and Staal, rightfully so, gets more even strength minutes?

BarbaraAlphanse

I'm not sure I'd be on board with the team suddenly lying to themselves, but to each their own. I'm just going to leave it at that because I already know where this is going.

At this point that couldn't be further from the truth. You don't stick Staal on the 3rd pairing because of who he has to play with.

The any-point Yandle is considered the 3rd pairing guy on this team, that much is clear. The Rangers don't have a RHD option who can cover for his defensive lapses while seeing 2nd pairing minutes.

I don't agree. A 50 point blue line guy will never be considered a 3rd pairing guy. That's ridiculous to insinuate that.

OK Yandle has defensive lapses. Staal has offensive lapses. So what? Staal's offensive incompetence gets brushed under the rug? Defensemen are no longer just expected to play defense, just as guys on offense aren't just expected to play on offense. The most successful teams now have two way guys littering their line ups from top to bottom.

Yandle stimulates offense. It is undeniable. And that offense, the 45-55 points or so that he is projected to bring from the blue line, is more valuable than Staal's uncalculable defensive worth.

Staal isn't bad. Far from it. But he isn't more valuable than a guy who will tangibly produce for this team. Especially because the Rangers have Henrik Lundqvuist.

Staal wasn't dominant last year. Neither was Girardi. Hank/Talbot was a big reason that the goal differential was as skewed as it was.

Sure there is inherent value in a guy who can shut down an attack. But at what point do you start recognizing that he probably caused just as much defensive trouble for Hank, with lack of speed, lack of ability to clear/catalzye a counter attack, or lack of puck control as a gun happy Keith Yandle who isn't a physical defender, makes risky risky plays, and isn't necessarily in the best position for defensive stops?

BarbaraAlphanse

Thanks for the input. What will be your reaction when this doesn't happen and Staal, rightfully so, gets more even strength minutes?

Surprised. Not shocked. But surprised.

You didn't answer my question. Why would you believe Yandle would fail in this system? It is catered to his strengths.

I don't see it.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Staal isn't bad. Far from it. But he isn't more valuable than a guy who will tangibly produce for this team. Especially because the Rangers have Henrik Lundqvuist.

This is what it boils down to, IMO.

Let Yandle sling the puck to our big guns, and let Hank clean up the trash. Gotta do something to not get shutout twice in the ECF again.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Surprised. Not shocked. But surprised.

You didn't answer my question. Why would you believe Yandle would fail in this system? It is catered to his strengths.

I don't see it.

Because, while he's not there as often, his is a poor player without the puck in his own end. And I don't think that's going to fly for too long. Most nhl coaches who want to keep their jobs give the tough defensive assignments to guys they trust.

Sheltered even strength mins and and an endless dose of pp time. Let him get his 50 points that way

BarbaraAlphanse

Ideal Rangers line-up for the post season.

Van Riemsdyk-Hayes-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Etem/Buchnevich-Brassard-Zucc
Lindberg-Moore-Fast
Stalberg

McDonagh-Girardi
Yandle-Klein
Skjei-Boyle

Hank
Anti

Staal for JVR trade.

BarbaraAlphanse

Because, while he's not there as often, his is a poor player without the puck in his own end. And I don't think that's going to fly for too long. Most nhl coaches who want to keep their jobs give the tough defensive assignments to guys they trust.

Sheltered even strength mins and and an endless dose of pp time. Let him get his 50 points that way

I don't think it'll shake out that way. I see KY taking more of a workload. Staal being phased out. Then a mutual split if/when Skjei breaks through. Staal for offense. Nash gets his help.

Because the rangers use the force trade button.

It's pretty even...

Last edited by a moderator:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
And while doing that we've seen a Rangers team that struggles mightily to score in the playoffs.

When you have Henrik Lundqvist, I think you have to sacrifice the defense for the offensive pop Yandle playing with Kreider or Nash or what have you might add.

Staal was getting the same minutes during the regular season that he was in the post season, and the team was 3rd overall in GPG. The lack of scoring in the post season has a lot more to do with a multitude of other factors than it does with Staal.

Lundqvist isn't a miracle worker. We've seen how much of a sieve he can be when the defense is rudderless, and you can't play him every night.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Because they are a rebuilding team, with Reilly and Gardner down the left side, and JVR is more valuable than Staal and 3 years younger.

and also has a lesser cap hit.

Staal was getting the same minutes during the regular season that he was in the post season, and the team was 3rd overall in GPG. The lack of scoring in the post season has a lot more to do with a multitude of other factors than it does with Staal.

Lundqvist isn't a miracle worker. We've seen how much of a sieve he can be when the defense is rudderless, and you can't play him every night.

Yeah, I guess being a consistent .920 sv% goalie means nothing. :sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Been saying this forever but Staal should be on the right side regardless he would be able to use his strong eye facing the ice as opposed to getting passes from his weak side and bumbling them constantly.

He would be fine

Then yes you could go

Mcdonagh girardi
Yandle Staal

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Sheltering his even strength minutes riding the hell out of him on the PP sounds just fine for me until he shows he can be a little more responsible in his own end.

Couldn't agree more with this.

Plus with our defensive depth it's not like he'll be getting 12 minutes on the 3rd pair.

Our 3rd pair should be playing 17 minutes. Don't see what all the fuss is about. Everyone gets their fair share of minutes.

McDonagh Girardi Staal will shutdown the top 2 lines and Yandle can offensively take advantage of the 3rd and 4th lines. Sounds perfect to me

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
That's not worth what we traded for him. We traded for a top 4 defenseman.

And we got one.

Our defense is good enough we can have a top 4 dman on our 3rd pair...still getting 20 minutes a game when you factor in even strength and PP

Just be grateful

No matter which 2 d-men you put on our 3rd pair...they would be top 4 d-men on 90% of the teams in this league.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Couldn't agree more with this.

Plus with our defensive depth it's not like he'll be getting 12 minutes on the 3rd pair.

Our 3rd pair should be playing 17 minutes. Don't see what all the fuss is about. Everyone gets their fair share of minutes.

McDonagh Girardi Staal will shutdown the top 2 lines and Yandle can offensively take advantage of the 3rd and 4th lines. Sounds perfect to me

Yep, sounds perfect that Yandle has to feed passes to Tanner Glass and rely on him and other bottom 6 players to score. :facepalm:

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Yep, sounds perfect that Yandle has to feed passes to Tanner Glass and rely on him and other bottom 6 players to score. :facepalm:

Sick interpretation man

In case you weren't aware there isn't a rule in the NHL that states you have to play the top d pair with the top o pair the whole game. You are actually allowed to switch it up if you so desire.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Sick interpretation man

You expect AV to play his 1st and 2nd line every time Yandle is out there? If you know how AV likes to run his lines, he likes to spread out minutes, more or less.(well, at least in 13-14 he actually could for the forwards...

Yes, I am aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad