Speculation: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part XVIII Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
You expect AV to play his 1st and 2nd line every time Yandle is out there? If you know how AV likes to run his lines, he likes to spread out minutes, more or less.(well, at least in 13-14 he actually could for the forwards...)

General rule of thumb is to stay away from extremes such as "every" and "always", since that can't possibly happen.

I expect a healthy balance where our 3rd pair on D will get their fair amount of time with the 1st and 2nd O lines, especially during offensive zone starts where both are rested at the same time and ready to come on the ice

By the way, there is no formula to amount of time, every game will be different.

If we're up a goal, it'll probably be less.
If we're down a goal, it'll probably be more.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
General rule of thumb is to stay away from extremes such as "every" and "always", since that can't possibly happen.

I expect a healthy balance where our 3rd pair on D will get their fair amount of time with the 1st and 2nd O lines, especially during offensive zone starts where both are rested at the same time and ready to come on the ice

I don't expect any defensive starts though, lol.

I don't think Yandle's defense is as bad as people make it out to be honestly, but other people seem to think he couldn't break up a play if it smacked him in the face.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015

I don't think Yandle's defense is as bad as people make it out to be honestly, but other people seem to think he couldn't break up a play if it smacked him in the face.

I don't either. I just think it would be better to utilize him offensively, let him spend most of his minutes there. Our team is good enough defensively we don't have to call upon Yandle to shut guys down. We can let him focus on offense for the majority of his ice time and the best way to do that is against other teams' 3rd and 4th lines.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Transitive property.

Yandle was top pairing on Arizona. Arizona sucks defensively. Therefore Yandle = sucks.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Transitive property.

Yandle was top pairing on Arizona. Arizona sucks defensively. Therefore Yandle = sucks.

Guessing sarcasm but I'll just say this.

It has come from Yandle's mouth that he prides himself on his offensive game.

Does it make any sense to you to use up his minutes where he has to focus on shutting down Crosby and Ovechkin? Especially when we have guys that can do that more than adequately.

Why not make better use of his specific skillset

Yandle is in a perfect place right now, where he has teammates around him to shut down the oppositions top lines, and he can focus 90% of his game on creating offense.

Could he shut down the other teams top lines? Sure, maybe. But he doesn't have to. And it makes a grand total of ZERO sense to ask him to.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Staal was getting the same minutes during the regular season that he was in the post season, and the team was 3rd overall in GPG. The lack of scoring in the post season has a lot more to do with a multitude of other factors than it does with Staal.

Lundqvist isn't a miracle worker. We've seen how much of a sieve he can be when the defense is rudderless, and you can't play him every night.

With Yandle driving play, and our fantastically two-way top 6 making up for any huge defensive lapses (outside of a breakaway if Yandle misplays a puck)I don't think Hank would get teed off on. I agree Staal isn't the problem. But we went from a scoring juggernaut in the regular season to barely able to scrap by in the postseason. I think a Keith Yandle with a full year to acclimate to the team feeding scoring chances to MZA, Brass, Step, Kreids and Nash would definitely make our offense more dangerous in the playoffs.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Forget about re-signing Yandle if his role is playing him in sheltered situations and on the PP. The trade is over and done with. Ride him and let him leave as a free agent. The Rangers have Skjei at $925,000 to be their 3rd pair D. Yandle has a $5.75M salary for this season. $5.25M cap hit. Skjei will not need much time in the AHL before he is ready NHL. He has already played two months of pro hockey. Those are two more months than McDonagh played when he turned pro in 2010.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Sick interpretation man

In case you weren't aware there isn't a rule in the NHL that states you have to play the top d pair with the top o pair the whole game. You are actually allowed to switch it up if you so desire.

To be fair, Yandle played more with Tanner Glass than he did Rick Nash last season by a decent margin.

The numbers should change now that he's acclimated to AV's system, but AV does need to manage his defensive usage differently. Take advantage of the depth we have, and spread out the assignments a bit. Girardi and Staal shouldn't have to play absurd defensive minutes all the time.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
What's the one constant during nearly all of that time? Girardi and Staal getting the tough defensive assignments.

It's a shame too, because maybe if they had rotated through a carousel of other defenseman instead, people would realize how good Lundqvist has been and how completely overrated this defense core has been since his arrival.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
LOL at the "this defense is overrated" argument. Per the usual here. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

I know man, the defense is perfect, absolutely perfect, I wouldn't want to improve it, nor does it need improving. Why even talk about it, especially in a roster building thread?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I know man, the defense is perfect, absolutely perfect, I wouldn't want to improve it, nor does it need improving. Why even talk about it, especially in a roster building thread?

The sarcasm on these boards has really ruined this place. Yep continue to force everything into a confrontational uninviting zone.

But since were going there, did i say the defense was perfect? You quoted the post so where did you read that? Point it out for me. No maybe i'm sick of reading the constant extreme claiming our whole defense is overrated. Oh wait, if i do that then this is going to turn into the next three pages of a Girardi bashing which is so undeserving. You want to argue some of the contracts are tough to maintain in a cap world, fine. But the things that are said here, the opinions thrown out there make this place unbearable. Got it, henrik is so dominant that we should be icing a bunch of rookies/vets all on ELCs/league minimums and McDonagh. Thats it. Save all the money, Henrik doesnt need much in front of him. Ignore the flaws in his game, moments of weakness he has. Block out the beginning of last season when we had guys like Kostka lacing it up and the defense looked miserable.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The sarcasm on these boards has really ruined this place. Yep continue to force everything into a confrontational uninviting zone.

But since were going there, did i say the defense was perfect? You quoted the post so where did you read that? Point it out for me. No maybe i'm sick of reading the constant extreme claiming our whole defense is overrated. Oh wait, if i do that then this is going to turn into the next three pages of a Girardi bashing which is so undeserving. You want to argue some of the contracts are tough to maintain in a cap world, fine. But the things that are said here, the opinions thrown out there make this place unbearable. Got it, henrik is so dominant that we should be icing a bunch of rookies/vets all on ELCs/league minimums and McDonagh. Thats it. Save all the money, Henrik doesnt need much in front of him. Ignore the flaws in his game, moments of weakness he has. Block out the beginning of last season when we had guys like Kostka lacing it up and the defense looked miserable.

Saw this quote online that summed up the current state of HF et al:

"It used to be considered a sign of intelligence to be able to hold two conflicting thoughts in your head at the same time and try to reconcile them, now that just means you never get retweeted."

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
You wouldn't argue that an emergence of Skjei would allow Staal to be traded?

An emergence of Skjei would be a short-term gain with high sustainability risk. Staal is longterm solid with low sustainability risk.

No the emergence of Skjei would not make Staal tradeable. In two three years maybe, when Skjei is past sophomore, that's another story though.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

No you quoted the defense "overrated" as if your opinion is the be all and end all and the defense is absolutely not over rated, so we shouldn't even have a discussion about it, not even in a thread dedicated to throwing **** against the wall to see if it will improve the roster. Who are you kidding?

You want this place one way, no sarcasm, no fun, no nothing lets all discuss how great the Rangers are and how they don't need improvement?

You're actually saying that posters that don't think Girardi, for example, is a very good modern NHL defenseman want, "a bunch of rookies/vets all on ELCs/league minimums and McDonagh" as the defense corps?

So you're saying it's not good for people to say the defense is over rated and has a few really bad contracts, Staal-Girardi and Klein for his role and want to get rid of at least 1 if not more. Somehow that's akin to saying," lets have a bumpile of a defense because of Hank?"

Oh no that's not doing the very thing you're complaining about, no not at all.

Hank has flaws and weaknesses? hahah yeah, chiefly the defense in front of him.

Last edited:

BarbaraAlphanse

An emergence of Skjei would be a short-term gain with high sustainability risk. Staal is longterm solid with low sustainability risk.

No the emergence of Skjei would not make Staal tradeable. In two three years maybe, when Skjei is past sophomore, that's another story though.

With key extensions and little space for maneuverability that is the type of risk that is needed.

Really, I'd argue this is the final year for this core group of guys to stay in tact.

I personally think both Staal and Nash are gone, at latest, by next trade deadline.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
With Yandle driving play, and our fantastically two-way top 6 making up for any huge defensive lapses (outside of a breakaway if Yandle misplays a puck)I don't think Hank would get teed off on. I agree Staal isn't the problem. But we went from a scoring juggernaut in the regular season to barely able to scrap by in the postseason. I think a Keith Yandle with a full year to acclimate to the team feeding scoring chances to MZA, Brass, Step, Kreids and Nash would definitely make our offense more dangerous in the playoffs.

I think our lack of scoring in the playoffs has way more to do with our team as a whole struggling in tight-checking contests. This year we also lost two of our 4 top-six wingers when Zucc was hurt, and MSL realized the game had passed him by. That's a pretty hard thing to overcome regardless of who is feeding pucks out of your own end.

Hopefully another year of development for the kids will mean balanced scoring even in the post season.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
LOL at the "this defense is overrated" argument. Per the usual here. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Sorry, the Rangers defense is perfectly rated and Henrik Lundqvist is actually overrated. My bad.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yandle is considered the 3rd pairing guy on this team. It's even more wrong than Tanner Glass being considered a starter on this team.

People won't stop talking about Yandle and Boyle's defensive lapses but it gets brushed over every time Staal misses a spinning one-knee pokecheck leading to a scoring chance, which is quite often.

It's the same each year with homegrown players. People would prefer Miller over Tavares when given the chance. It's ridiculous. Staal is not worth his 5.7m cap hit

BarbaraAlphanse

I'd like to see the Rangers offer Glencross a training camp invite. Earn his was go the roster.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
No you quoted the defense "overrated" as if your opinion is the be all and end all and the defense is absolutely not over rated, so we shouldn't even have a discussion about it, not even in a thread dedicated to throwing **** against the wall to see if it will improve the roster. Who are you kidding?

You want this place one way, no sarcasm, no fun, no nothing lets all discuss how great the Rangers are and how they don't need improvement?

You're actually saying that posters that don't think Girardi, for example, is a very good modern NHL defenseman want, "a bunch of rookies/vets all on ELCs/league minimums and McDonagh" as the defense corps?

So you're saying it's not good for people to say the defense is over rated and has a few really bad contracts, Staal-Girardi and Klein for his role and want to get rid of at least 1 if not more. Somehow that's akin to saying," lets have a bumpile of a defense because of Hank?"

Oh no that's not doing the very thing you're complaining about, no not at all.

Hank has flaws and weaknesses? hahah yeah, chiefly the defense in front of him.
How was my response inferring that my opinion was the be and end all? Nope I'm pretty sure it didn't come off that way unless you have a hard time with reading comprehension which seems to be the glaring issue on these boards over the past year. I have a hard time agreeing with this defense, as a whole, being "overrated" when it just came off a SCF and ECF appearance in back-to-back years. That is sheer incompetency as a fan to make such claims. Go ask Penguins fans if they would like to have pretty much everyone of our defenseman somewhere in their 6. Or how about Islander fans over guys like Hickey in their defense. It is ignorance really. Fans of other teams envy our defense and if you don't think so then i really don't know what to tell you. The Rangers did not make those runs solely on the back of Henrik. And no that is not me saying Henrik was bad before you respond with another post of misinterpretation. That is me saying it was a combination of quality defenseman and an all star goalie.

Also, NEVER once stated the defense was "perfect." Nope not once. I'd love to discuss the flaws in a guy like Girardi or Yandle or Boyle or any of them for that matter. But quite honestly I feel like I have to defend these guys because people like you just constantly BURY them as if they have no positive attributes. As if they are Michael Kostka. This isn't a discussion board, this isn't a roster building thread on how to "improve" the team. This is a bash fest of our own players, some like Girardi who have been with the organization for several years through deep playoff runs. How bad could these guys possibly be? You would think they would all be #5/6's on every other team after making these deep playoff runs. There is no loyalty in this fan base to the players. Hardly any. It is all about what is the next shiny new toy and how can we obtain it...and in the process we are going to ridicule and pick apart the player we want to get rid of to obtain that piece even though that player has offered us a lot over the years whether you want to believe it or not. Nope, sorry this is not a discussion.

I wish the "discussion" was yeah we have one bad contract too many on that defense and we kinda need to move it to manage the team. But that turns into a massive hanging of Girardi and Staal. It is unnecessary. And all the while the REALITY is, this team is set for training camp other than maybe a vet forward invite. Yet everyday, it turns into the same topic of conversation.

But hey just keep beating the :deadhorse, talking in circles. Much more productive during your summer days...which I am going to now continue to enjoy after taking a pit stop to see if there was anything worthwhile reading here. Silly me, just the same old white noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad