Speculation: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part XVIII Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think a tangible factor in why I'm projecting a Staal trade in under two years, is a diminishing role during his prime years.

Yandle will not be allowed to leave. Not after Duclair and a 1st went the other way. Sather didn't mortgage the future without consulting with Gorton. Namely because the future was Gorton's and not Sathers to trade.

Kreider and Hayes are not going to be allowed to leave, either. They will be resigned. They are too important to the now and future.

By mid season, I imagine Yandle playing more minutes than Staal. I imagine Yandle playing and taking assignments that Staal is sometimes used to. And I imagine a budding young defenseman quickly earning the recognition of the FO and coaching staff - Brady Skjei.

At which point, I believe that a mutual parting will become feasible. Staal will potentially welcome a trade to a team where he has more influence and responsibilities. The Rangers seeking flexibility financially as well as future asset recouping or potentially scoring help for Nash.

Nash, Staal, Girardi are all overpaid. Two of them should be traded within the next 1.5 years.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think a tangible factor in why I'm projecting a Staal trade in under two years, is a diminishing role during his prime years.

Yandle will not be allowed to leave. Not after Duclair and a 1st went the other way. Sather didn't mortgage the future without consulting with Gorton. Namely because the future was Gorton's and not Sathers to trade.

Kreider and Hayes are not going to be allowed to leave, either. They will be resigned. They are too important to the now and future.

By mid season, I imagine Yandle playing more minutes than Staal. I imagine Yandle playing and taking assignments that Staal is sometimes used to. And I imagine a budding young defenseman quickly earning the recognition of the FO and coaching staff - Brady Skjei.

At which point, I believe that a mutual parting will become feasible. Staal will potentially welcome a trade to a team where he has more influence and responsibilities. The Rangers seeking flexibility financially as well as future asset recouping or potentially scoring help for Nash.

Nash, Staal, Girardi are all overpaid. Two of them should be traded within the next 1.5 years.

Yandle will be overpaid too. In fact, he'll get the richest contract of the bunch.

He is what he is defensively, but if he doesn't help the Rangers PP out immensely (and he should) I could easily see him being on the block come the trade deadline.

BarbaraAlphanse

Yandle will be overpaid too. In fact, he'll get the richest contract of the bunch.

He is what he is defensively, but if he doesn't help the Rangers PP out immensely (and he should) I could easily see him being on the block come the trade deadline.

Sure. But do you really expect him to fail? This system fits his strengths. He had 2nd most points in playoffs after 3 rounds for a defenseman? I think 50 is attainable. Boyles contract will go to him. I see him getting somewhere in the vicinity of 6/40.

Staal will be a 3rd pairing defenseman. What is more cost effective if quality doesn't decrease? .9m or 5.7m?

If Skjei provides what Staal can, Staal becomes expendable.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

this organization has been salivating over yandle for a long time.

after a long list of failed attempts to draft/create our own yandle, we decided to go get THE yandle and i expect us to play the heck out of him and resign him when is contract is up.

considering the offensive ineptitude our blue line displays and our general lack of any other dman who shows the ability to be offensive- in a good way, i expect he will be here a while.

and yes, he should help our pp this season as long as we have guys who can finish those nice passes he makes from the top.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yandle took a sweetheart deal to stay with a perennial loser in Phoenix...wonder what he'll take to stay with a perennial (of late anyway) winner in New York.

Get him signed asap.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yandle should fit this system perfectly. Up-tempo, stretch passes galore and the points are consistently open due to the speed and cycle game of the forwards.

He will get a raise. He deserves a raise. The Rangers should pay him. They have NO ONE that is remotely close to providing what he provides in the entire system.

45-55 points is what is extremely attainable for him and for all the **** he gets about his defense, it's not that bad. You make room. It's really that simple.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Yandle should fit this system perfectly. Up-tempo, stretch passes galore and the points are consistently open due to the speed and cycle game of the forwards.

He will get a raise. He deserves a raise. The Rangers should pay him. They have NO ONE that is remotely close to providing what he provides in the entire system.

45-55 points is what is extremely attainable for him and for all the **** he gets about his defense, it's not that bad. You make room. It's really that simple.

I agree with this. Yandle's defense really isn't horrible like people say, just because he is an offensively minded d-man. Pretty sure that good defense is getting the puck out of your own zone.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yandle's big deal was around 8% of the cap at the time. I'm sure he'll want more than the equivalent of that today. It's going to be tough to work out the numbers and justify spending that kind of money on a guy who is 3rd on the depth chart in terms of LHD. Kreider, Hayes, Miller and Etem will all need new contracts and while letting Boyle and Moore go clears about $6M in cap, that's not enough to cover raises for everyone. Though you'd have to think that Klein on the bottom pairing becomes an expendable asset if/when McIlrath can prove himself as a viable option. If Skjei can start banging on the door, it probably makes it easier to move Staal. At least in terms of impact to the blue line.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yandle's big deal was around 8% of the cap at the time. I'm sure he'll want more than the equivalent of that today. It's going to be tough to work out the numbers and justify spending that kind of money on a guy who is 3rd on the depth chart in terms of LHD. Kreider, Hayes, Miller and Etem will all need new contracts and while letting Boyle and Moore go clears about $6M in cap, that's not enough to cover raises for everyone. Though you'd have to think that Klein on the bottom pairing becomes an expendable asset if/when McIlrath can prove himself as a viable option. If Skjei can start banging on the door, it probably makes it easier to move Staal. At least in terms of impact to the blue line.

But he absolutely shouldn't be.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But he is, and he'll remain as such unless the composition of our defense changes drastically, or AV decides to abandon his desire for balance of handedness on the blue line.

Or the team could just acknowledge that he's a significantly better hockey player than Marc Staal.

BarbaraAlphanse

But he is, and he'll remain as such unless the composition of our defense changes drastically, or AV decides to abandon his desire for balance of handedness on the blue line.

At this point, Staal is the 3rd pairing defender. He will be playing with Boyle, who should ideally be playing 15-16 minutes a game.

The 50 point potential Yandle will certainly not be considered the third pairing guy. The value there is so much more significant than what Staal is capable of bringing.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Or the team could just acknowledge that he's a significantly better hockey player than Marc Staal.

At this point, Staal is the 3rd pairing defender. He will be playing with Boyle, who should ideally be playing 15-16 minutes a game.

The 50 point potential Yandle will certainly not be considered the third pairing guy. The value there is so much more significant than what Staal is capable of bringing.

Both of these. Yandle shouldn't be 3rd on the depth chart for LHD, in fact, he should be 2nd on the depth chart for all Rangers d-men.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013

I think AV will try to mix and match the bottom 4 guys depending on the situation(zone start, score, time left, etc.)

I don't think we have a clear cut 3rd pairing; similar to us not having a clear cut 1st line.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

If Nash is scoring 40+ goals he's not overpaid.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Its going to be very interesting to me to see how AV uses these three defensive pairs. Will he actually use them more as a balanced unit, or will he continue to completely shelter Boyle and Yandle. And if its the latter then I think we will see alot of Yandle-Boyle with the bottom-6 which isn't a great use of abilities.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I'm not sure I'd be on board with the team suddenly lying to themselves, but to each their own. I'm just going to leave it at that because I already know where this is going.

At this point that couldn't be further from the truth. You don't stick Staal on the 3rd pairing because of who he has to play with.

The any-point Yandle is considered the 3rd pairing guy on this team, that much is clear. The Rangers don't have a RHD option who can cover for his defensive lapses while seeing 2nd pairing minutes.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yandle is considered the 3rd pairing guy on this team. It's even more wrong than Tanner Glass being considered a starter on this team.

People won't stop talking about Yandle and Boyle's defensive lapses but it gets brushed over every time Staal misses a spinning one-knee pokecheck leading to a scoring chance, which is quite often.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I'm not sure I'd be on board with the team suddenly lying to themselves, but to each their own. I'm just going to leave it at that because I already know where this is going.

At this point that couldn't be further from the truth. You don't stick Staal on the 3rd pairing because of who he has to play with.

The any-point Yandle is considered the 3rd pairing guy on this team, that much is clear. The Rangers don't have a RHD option who can cover for his defensive lapses while seeing 2nd pairing minutes.

Lying to themselves? What's their to lie about? Yandle is a better hockey player than Marc Staal.

Yandle is considered the 3rd pairing guy on this team. It's even more wrong than Tanner Glass being considered a starter on this team.

People won't stop talking about Yandle and Boyle's defensive lapses but it gets brushed over every time Staal misses a spinning one-knee pokecheck leading to a scoring chance, which is quite often.

I couldn't agree more.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
If AV misuses Yandle like he did last year someone from management needs to step in and say something.
272541-650-366.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad