2015-2016 General Wild Discussion I

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Even if there is a pretty good UFA #1C, we don't need another big contract. Unless a miracle happens in the form of a hockey trade for a young potential #1, we're stuck with Granlund and Koivu until Eriksson Ek gets here, then we're stuck with those three for the foreseeable future.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I would like to see the Wild dump Pominville to give them the cap to make necessary signings over the next 4 seasons and also give Fontaine and Keranen top-6 5v5 time instead. And I am not a fan of Fontaine. But I know that is an minority opinion.

That said, it's a positive that Keranen is a RW. If Graovac doesn't make the team (meaning Coyle stays at center) and there is an injury to one of Pominville/Vanek/Fontaine it's going to be Keranen or Schroeder picking up the slack. You could say that Schroeder has the inside track, because he was the call-up last year, but you could also say he had his shot and didn't really move the needle.

I think Keranen could surprise if he play with better players. He's the kind of player that will go unnoticed but show up on the score sheet.

Yeo already confirmed that.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
From NHL.com on late season-saving heroics going 27-9-2 :

"It's a pretty cool story to have to go through," Dubnyk told reporter Tom Powers. "You learn a lot about life in general and not just hockey. I tried to enjoy it when it was happening. I've filed it all away. Playing as much as I did, there was a lot of information. Whether we won 1-0 or 6-4, or if we lost 1-0, I have it stored in my mind. So many different situations."

You kind of forget that these guys are facing an ever-changing game with no two games being totally alike. Makes you realize that these guys still are learning every-single-game of their career. Like he said "Playing as much as I did, there was a lot of information...so many different situations"

Crazy how much a 1,000 game guy can 'know' compared to a rookie.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Even if there is a pretty good UFA #1C, we don't need another big contract. Unless a miracle happens in the form of a hockey trade for a young potential #1, we're stuck with Granlund and Koivu until Eriksson Ek gets here, then we're stuck with those three for the foreseeable future.

I'd think Granlund and Ek would be quite tradeable.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

True, but for what? We'd be trading two young centers who are still inexpensive, which is something we need, for what? Those guys aren't the problem, and one of them may be the solution. I don't think we'll be getting a surefire #1 center who is also price restricted for them. The Segin trade was an exception, not the rule.

Anyway, Koivu is only around for 3 more years on that contract, and Ek is probably 2 years away from coming to North America. Actually, if he finishes his contract with Färjestad first, he's 3 years away, just in time to take over some of the minutes Koivu leaves, so I guess I don't know why AKL thinks we're stuck with all three, when the reality is we'll likely only be "stuck" with two of them at any given time. If we do end up having all three play on our team, it'll only be for a year, or maybe two if Ek makes huge strides this season and wants to come over way early. Or, I suppose if Koivu re-signs, but if that happens it'll be for a lot smaller of a cap hit.

Gundee1114

Aug 4, 2011
Minnesota
True, but for what? We'd be trading two young centers who are still inexpensive, which is something we need, for what? Those guys aren't the problem, and one of them may be the solution. I don't think we'll be getting a surefire #1 center who is also price restricted for them. The Segin trade was an exception, not the rule.

Anyway, Koivu is only around for 3 more years on that contract, and Ek is probably 2 years away from coming to North America. Actually, if he finishes his contract with Färjestad first, he's 3 years away, just in time to take over some of the minutes Koivu leaves, so I guess I don't know why AKL thinks we're stuck with all three, when the reality is we'll likely only be "stuck" with two of them at any given time. If we do end up having all three play on our team, it'll only be for a year, or maybe two if Ek makes huge strides this season and wants to come over way early. Or, I suppose if Koivu re-signs, but if that happens it'll be for a lot smaller of a cap hit.

That's what I'd be planning on happening. I don't think he'd retire or head to a different team.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I actually wouldn't trade either. Granlund value is at a lower point, despite him being one of our better players in the playoffs. Ek was a savy pick. I would not move him at all.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae

I wouldn't mind. That's one hell of a 1-2-3 punch at center. True, it lacks a "proper" #1C if Granlund stagnates, but as a whole, I'd say we'd have one of the best top-9s in the entire league.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I wouldn't mind. That's one hell of a 1-2-3 punch at center. True, it lacks a "proper" #1C if Granlund stagnates, but as a whole, I'd say we'd have one of the best top-9s in the entire league.

Seeing as Eriksson Ek is at least 3 years away, that means Koivu would be 35. And then JEE is far from guaranteed to be even be a decent NHLer. So I don't think this would even be top half in the league.

Unless you mean more than just centers, since our wings are obviously a strength.

P10p

May 15, 2012
With all these worries about our "number one center" goin around I just wanna say I believe and expect Granlund will still be a great #1 center in this league. Just can't help but feel his skill determination and vision will shine through.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
There is always the nuclear option:

Brodin and Dumba for RNH.

Other pieces would have to be involved, but that would get the Oilers to listen. And Spurgeon would have to be re-signed ASAP. Something like Brodin, Dumba, Pominville, and Graovac for RNH, Yak, and Fayne.

That could horribly back-fire, but it could also light the fuse on the Wild.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Seeing as Eriksson Ek is at least 3 years away, that means Koivu would be 35. And then JEE is far from guaranteed to be even be a decent NHLer. So I don't think this would even be top half in the league.

Unless you mean more than just centers, since our wings are obviously a strength.

Top-9s as a whole, yeah. It's a good 1-2-3 -punch even with a 35-year old Koivu though. At that age, I reckon he's going to be still at least good on a #3 role.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Top-9s as a whole, yeah. It's a good 1-2-3 -punch even with a 35-year old Koivu though. At that age, I reckon he's going to be still at least good on a #3 role.
Depends on if Koivu can keep himself from slowing down too much. Happens to all bigger players as they get older.

Ek will replace Koivu.

Granlund should stick around.

Graovac is so very important.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
There is always the nuclear option:

Brodin and Dumba for RNH.

Other pieces would have to be involved, but that would get the Oilers to listen. And Spurgeon would have to be re-signed ASAP. Something like Brodin, Dumba, Pominville, and Graovac for RNH, Yak, and Fayne.

That could horribly back-fire, but it could also light the fuse on the Wild.

Brodin and Dumba? Maybe if they threw in Reinhart/Nurse/Klefbom.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Brodin and Dumba? Maybe if they threw in Reinhart/Nurse/Klefbom.
Extra value coming back would be Yak instead of one of those three. We'd have to move a bigger contract to acquire RNH's contract, which would have to be Pominville for Yak swap. Plus, they are all LD, which we have Suter, Scandella, Olofsson, Reilly, etc.

Blueline depth would obviously take a big hit, putting significantly more pressure on Folin, Reilly, and Olofsson, but the center position would go from a weakest to a major strength.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Extra value coming back would be Yak instead of one of those three. We'd have to move a bigger contract to acquire RNH's contract, which would have to be Pominville for Yak swap. Plus, they are all LD, which we have Suter, Scandella, Olofsson, Reilly, etc.

Blueline depth would obviously take a big hit, putting significantly more pressure on Folin, Reilly, and Olofsson, but the center position would go from a weakest to a major strength.

Honestly, re-drafting the 2011 draft. Brodin is top 3 with #1 overall consideration. Dumba is most certainly not the difference between RNH and Brodin. If we get another player back it'd have to be equal to Dumba. Is Yakupov equal to Dumb? Maybe, but I'd rather see us get defense back if we have to do this trade. Since Klefbom is the only certain one that Dumba is better than, that seems the most likely trade, for me.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why on earth would we trade Brodin AND Dumba?

A team built around defense trades the only bonafide top pairing (potential) guys in the entire system for a C only marginally better than Granlund and the most disappointing first overall since the 1990s?

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

A team built around defense trades the only bonafide top pairing (potential) guys in the entire system for a C only marginally better than Granlund and the most disappointing first overall since the 1990s?

edBQBeJ.gif

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

We because have would still have elite defensive talent and we current have no elite forward talent.

Suter-Spurgeon-Scandella would still be a rock solid 1-2-3 for a blueline. Getting a guy like Fayne coming back would get a decent #4. Folin, Reilly, and Olofsson are greats talents who will continue to grow.

Where at center we have a declining Koivu who will fit best as a #3, an undersized Granlund who long-term is a #2, a maybe-maybe-not center in Colye, a inconsistent Haula who at best projects as a Matt Cullen, and a complete unknown in Graovac.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Honestly, re-drafting the 2011 draft. Brodin is top 3 with #1 overall consideration. Dumba is most certainly not the difference between RNH and Brodin. If we get another player back it'd have to be equal to Dumba. Is Yakupov equal to Dumb? Maybe, but I'd rather see us get defense back if we have to do this trade. Since Klefbom is the only certain one that Dumba is better than, that seems the most likely trade, for me.

Wow, the bolded is a bit hyperbolic. RNH, Landeskog, and Hamilton all would likely go before Brodin (largely because he hasn't shown much offensively). An argument could also be made for all of Strome, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Saad, Kucherov and Gaudreau. I'd take many of them over Brodin, and I love Brodin.

Still, I think I can agree with the spirit of your post, if not the exact content. Brodin and Dumba for RNH is not pretty. RNH may be the best piece, but he isn't worth both of our most promising young defenders. With only Yakupov and Fayne coming back in place of Pominville and Graovac, I just don't see the value. Yakupov may never be the scorer that Pominville already is, and Fayne... I don't know. He isn't terrible, but he isn't a 2nd pairing defender either. Better than Prosser, worse than Dumba and Scandella. That puts him into the Folin territory. Add in that many Oilers fans claim Yakupov isn't a center at this level, and I just don't see that trade as being any help. Probably it makes us worse.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Are Players that have No Trade Clauses exempt from expansion drafts?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Huh, I thought RNH had been close to PPG at least once. His best season is only 56 points in 76 games.

Edit: I guess his best was actually 52 in 62 as a rookie.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Also, the Wild are going to sell the old seats in the Xcel that are being removed in the next few weeks. Anyone going to buy one? STHs get first shot, but assuming they may open it up to the public afterwards.

I think it would be cool, but doubt I'd buy one. $100 a pop and they have to be mounted to a wall to use them, as they aren't free standing.

They did this with the Metrodome too, and I think the price was similar there.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
also, the wild are going to sell the old seats in the xcel that are being removed in the next few weeks. Anyone going to buy one? Sths get first shot, but assuming they may open it up to the public afterwards.

I think it would be cool, but doubt i'd buy one. $100 a pop and they have to be mounted to a wall to use them, as they aren't free standing.

They did this with the metrodome too, and i think the price was similar there.

i will be buying two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad