2015-2016 General Wild Discussion I

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So Yeo was on the radio today, and said (paraphrasing);

- Suter's minutes will be cut down for the most part to 25min./game, leaving him fresher at the end of the season.

"Duh!"

- he spent a lot of time thinking about the PP this off season, and will start off using the same personnel on the #1 unit, but will be open to using other players.

" Just how long of a rope do they get, anyway? Another two, three, years? Just what was Yeo "thinking" about this summer? How he's worried the vets will get mad at him if he takes them off the #1?"

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

- he spent a lot of time thinking about the PP this off season, and will start off using the same personnel on the #1 unit

oD3YNN2.jpg

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

- Suter's minutes will be cut down for the most part to 25min./game, leaving him fresher at the end of the season.

"Duh!"

- he spent a lot of time thinking about the PP this off season, and will start off using the same personnel on the #1 unit, but will be open to using other players.

" Just how long of a rope do they get, anyway? Another two, three, years? Just what was Yeo "thinking" about this summer? How he's worried the vets will get mad at him if he takes them off the #1?"
So a full season of ineptitude wasn't convincing enough that changes are needed?! :help:

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I'm watching Game 3 of MIN-CHI right now on the NHL network and I gotta say...after watching a 3 minute sequence where Zucker, Zucker, Nino, Granlund all had really good chances and showed so much skill that I am reminded that these guys have so much damn potential.

They just gotta get there.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The powerplay is a lost cause and will be until Yeo is ready to make and accept radical changes to it.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think he'll change it pretty quickly if it doesn't work out. He's just giving them one last chance.

I don't think he'd be THAT stubborn on it if it continues to suck.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Yeo might be more patient than your average coach but he's not stupid. If the pp does not show any improvements in first 10-20 games i'm sure he will make some changes.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Yeo might be more patient than your average coach but he's not stupid. If the pp does not show any improvements in first 10-20 games i'm sure he will make some changes.

Can i move this to the Wild off season 12-13 edition?

Yeo out thinks himself. If your team is better make the other team adapt. Too often he plays it safe and simple. We have the talent to win a marathon grind it out game game and a N/S free for all.

Yeo needs to look at results. Possesion numbers new age stats say Coyle and Koivu keep the puck more zone time = yadda yadda yadda. Nino just flat out scores more goals.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Can i move this to the Wild off season 12-13 edition?

Yeo out thinks himself. If your team is better make the other team adapt. Too often he plays it safe and simple. We have the talent to win a marathon grind it out game game and a N/S free for all.

Yeo needs to look at results. Possesion numbers new age stats say Coyle and Koivu keep the puck more zone time = yadda yadda yadda. Nino just flat out scores more goals.

Koivu is playmaker on pp so he's not taking Nino's pp time. Coyle is often there over Nino because he's righty. Parise is the player taking pp time from Nino.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
PP won't be that much of a concern in my book as long as 4 lines are scoring threats. If there is dependency on only 2 lines to do the heavy lifting, then they will be hurting come midway point yet again.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market

Debatable. Or do we just say he has inabilities in managing personnel?

PP won't be that much of a concern in my book as long as 4 lines are scoring threats. If there is dependency on only 2 lines to do the heavy lifting, then they will be hurting come midway point yet again.

Yes, the 27th ranked unit in the NHL is going to start the season doing the exact same thing as last year. Nope, no concern. What's the definition of insanity?

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
So Yeo spent a lot of time thinking about the Powerplay yet decides to make zero changes.

Sounds like he hasn't thought about it at all. :help:

GET SUTER OFF THE ****ING POWERPLAY :rant:

I can't go another year watching that ********. Hey Suter have you heard of a one timer so defenses don't get set and block your baby wrist shot? Seriously what the ****.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

I'll eat my hat if after the first 20 games of impotent powerplay he actually shakes it up and makes permenent changes.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I'll eat my hat if after the first 20 games of impotent powerplay he actually shakes it up and makes permenent changes.

And I'll buy you a hat made out of bacon.

No way will he actually nut up and pull the subpar vets off the top unit. Flat out, I don't think he has the guts to stand up to his veteran players, Suter will still be top-3 for ice time and we're in for another year of Koivu, Coyle, Suter, instead of Granlund, Nino and ANYONE.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Yeo as a coach, but he seems to have blind spots when it comes to certain players. Remember Heatley's last year when he was godawful and it took till the 77th game or something before he was benched?

Prosser also seems to be a favorite... I don't know why.

Playing a struggling Suter 29 min. /night?

Pominville being on the #1 PP point when you have options like Scandella,Spurgeon, and Dumba?

I do think Yeo has been able to get the Wild to play an efficient, fluid system that is effective at limiting goals against and moves the puck well.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yes, the 27th ranked unit in the NHL is going to start the season doing the exact same thing as last year. Nope, no concern. What's the definition of insanity?

I *****ed a lot and will continue to that they need to be more consistent. However, the Hawks were 20th in the league and they did just fine. In fact teams likes Arizona, Philly and Columbus topped the PP % and look where that got them. Team needs to be consistent on it, not overpowering.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I like Yeo as a coach, but he seems to have blind spots when it comes to certain players. Remember Heatley's last year when he was godawful and it took till the 77th game or something before he was benched?

Prosser also seems to be a favorite... I don't know why.

Playing a struggling Suter 29 min. /night?

Pominville being on the #1 PP point when you have options like Scandella,Spurgeon, and Dumba?

I do think Yeo has been able to get the Wild to play an efficient, fluid system that is effective at limiting goals against and moves the puck well.
I don't have a problem with Pominville on the top unit, I just have a problem with Pominville being on the point on the top unit.

He should be down low, not on the point. He sucks on the point.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't have a problem with Pominville on the top unit, I just have a problem with Pominville being on the point on the top unit.

He should be down low, not on the point. He sucks on the point.

Yeah but then Yeo would have to put one of Koivu, Parise or Vanek on the second unit and heaven forbid he do that. We're trying to have the most expensive PP unit in the league and when you have units like Chicago's or Pittsburgh's it's tough to compete with.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland

Maybe Yeo is afraid that it'll drop to 28th or even worse, if he makes any changes :sarcasm:

After pondering it the whole summer.. just wow. I'd be happier if he said that he don't care about ****in power play! But this is scary stuff.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I *****ed a lot and will continue to that they need to be more consistent. However, the Hawks were 20th in the league and they did just fine. In fact teams likes Arizona, Philly and Columbus topped the PP % and look where that got them. Team needs to be consistent on it, not overpowering.

We aren't the Hawks, and we'd be foolish to compare ourselves to them and claim anything we're doing is "good enough".

Philly was there because they have a few extremely high talent players that thrive on PP situations, Columbus was there because they have young, top-flight talent and a career year from Foligno, Arizona was there because -- for all their faults -- they still have an extremely good coach.

The fact of the matter is, we shouldn't be happy with the status quo, sticking with what clearly hasn't worked for *ANY* reason should be unacceptable. Unless what's been done in the past has won us a cup, it isn't good enough. Unless we're winning it all, every area of weakness is an area that needs attention.

It's just infuriating to me that Yeo acknowledges that the PP is an issue, and then effectively says he isn't going to do anything to fix it.

J22*

We aren't the Hawks, and we'd be foolish to compare ourselves to them and claim anything we're doing is "good enough".

Philly was there because they have a few extremely high talent players that thrive on PP situations, Columbus was there because they have young, top-flight talent and a career year from Foligno, Arizona was there because -- for all their faults -- they still have an extremely good coach.

The fact of the matter is, we shouldn't be happy with the status quo, sticking with what clearly hasn't worked for *ANY* reason should be unacceptable. Unless what's been done in the past has won us a cup, it isn't good enough. Unless we're winning it all, every area of weakness is an area that needs attention.

It's just infuriating to me that Yeo acknowledges that the PP is an issue, and then effectively says he isn't going to do anything to fix it.

It's almost like Yeo is saying that the PP problems are not a coaching issue. Maybe he finally figured out that it isn't a player issue, but a pace and attitude issue. The PP's and PK's in the NHL are not some huge mystery where a genius coach can make much of an impact. Everybody knows what everybody else is going to do. It comes down to talent and execution. The Wild certainly have the talent, but their execution is slow and timid. Unless Brunette/Yeo are deliberately telling the guys to always slow things down, and to never try to actually force the issue, I don't think the PP problems are coaching related.

At some point a coach realizes that his best option is his best option no matter how bad that option is. Every time Yeo moved up one of the kids to the 1st unit, the 1st unit got worse. Every time Yeo tried to send a "message" to Vanek or Pominville, the 1st unit got worse.

Maybe Yeo finally figured out that if all the players are going to do is stand around, it doesn't really matter which players he sends out.
Every time that Yeo tries to change something on the PP, it gets worse.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
It's almost like Yeo is saying that the PP problems are not a coaching issue. Maybe he finally figured out that it isn't a player issue, but a pace and attitude issue. The PP's and PK's in the NHL are not some huge mystery where a genius coach can make much of an impact. Everybody knows what everybody else is going to do. It comes down to talent and execution. The Wild certainly have the talent, but their execution is slow and timid. Unless Brunette/Yeo are deliberately telling the guys to always slow things down, and to never try to actually force the issue, I don't think the PP problems are coaching related.

At some point a coach realizes that his best option is his best option no matter how bad that option is. Every time Yeo moved up one of the kids to the 1st unit, the 1st unit got worse. Every time Yeo tried to send a "message" to Vanek or Pominville, the 1st unit got worse.

Maybe Yeo finally figured out that if all the players are going to do is stand around, it doesn't really matter which players he sends out.
Every time that Yeo tries to change something on the PP, it gets worse.

So you're saying you're OK with him not trying anything? Whether or not you believe it's a coaching issue, I want to be crystal clear in understanding your assertion that the coach shouldn't do anything, because you don't believe he can do anything to make it better?

Fire him right the **** now if this is actually the case.

J22*

So you're saying you're OK with him not trying anything? Whether or not you believe it's a coaching issue, I want to be crystal clear in understanding your assertion that the coach shouldn't do anything, because you don't believe he can do anything to make it better?

Fire him right the **** now if this is actually the case.

Why is it that I haven't read even once that Yeo is probably the best PK coach in the NHL?

Why is it that I haven't read even once that Yeo has become one of the best 5X5 coaches in the NHL?

Why was Yeo a terrible coach when Kuemper was in the net, but all the credit went to Dubnyk when he took over?

This board refuses to give Yeo any credit for anything that works, but immediately wants him fired for anything that doesn't. FFS Yeo hired Brunette because he knew the PP wasn't good enough. Do you remember this board when that happened? A whole lot of " thank god we don't have to watch Yeo's PP anymore" and " It will be good to have a coach who knows how to handle a PP" type responses. One year later, the PP still sucks and somehow we completely skipped right over Brunette and went right back to fire Yeo? Yeah, that's intelligent.

To actually answer your question, no I am not OK with Yeo doing nothing, but I don't feel like he's doing nothing just because he wont scramble the units. I am OK with Yeo saying that the personnel he is using on each unit isn't the problem. I am OK with him trying to fix the current units as opposed to switching out 1 or 2 guys every month to see if that does anything. But, I am most OK with Yeo basically saying that at some point it's going to come down to the players actually stepping up and making plays.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Yup. You're right. There are a lot of good things too. And the players are responsible indeed.

But I think this PP thing had gone past the limit when the coach should start to bench his star players. Damn let 'em sit and watch the first 10 PPs and give 3rd and 4th line a chance to run it. It doesn't have to work, but should at least wake up the regular PP crew. Yeo can't wait forever, he needs to speed up the learning process. Make them responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad