Prospect Info: 2015 199th overall - Joel Daccord (G) Cushing Academy [HIGH-MA]

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Formenton is exempt.

Even if Dadonov is protected - which is possible - it doesn't necessarily squeeze Tierney out. If Logan Brown is traded it would be a trivial decision; they would never protect Abramov over Tierney. Of course in that case they would need to find another forward that meets the league mandated games played requirements. Dzingel with a 1-year extension maybe.

I believe that its because of our rose-tinted glasses that we would believe that Daccord would be snagged. Even under these new circumstances you bring up, I'm certain a forward of the bunch you've selected will be picked.

Goalies don't have much value unless 1) they are drafted high 2) they are a sure thing. Daccord is neither of those, even though we think he is promising. For example, Binnington had no value before his breakout season. He was 3rd-4th in the St. Louis goalie pipeline, and it took a crazy series of events for him to get his shot. I bet if I look around I would find that there are plenty of "Daccords" around the league.

Also, I'm certain that Dorion does not want Daccord to get picked either. He believes that Daccord is the goalie of the future. So surely he is going to make someone like Tierney available. He is going to dangle a carrot like Tierney, or even Dadonov, because it would be foolish for Seattle to pass on either of those players for Daccord. Daccord doesn't have present value, but might have great future value, but that's still hedging on, frankly, a very unsure thing and we are talking about 3 years from now.

Now, if Daccord plays lights out the rest of the season, split between the NHL and AHL, THEN I think we have a different story. Just right now, it makes no sense for Seattle, especially since we will make it a bad choice for them if Daccord were to ultimately bust for them.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He seems a much better puck handler than Murray and Hogberg, or at the very least much more confident

Daccord is the best puck handler we have ever had in nets. Wait until he is comfortable back there and see how well he moves it. Once the D is on same page as him he is going to have a pretty substantial effect on the amount of time we spend in our end.

Certainly better puck handler than Kleven. :sarcasm::popcorn:

This is our future starter IMO - been very high on his overall game since ASU. He can be dominant.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While I'm not completely sold on Daccord he is a battler out there while Murray has looked beaten in too many games this yr already. And while the defence has also been very bad at times this team is going nowhere with both being bad & it will take longer to fix the defence, they just need one of these goalies to be good consistently for stretches.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This guy had a vibe about him from the time we drafted him.

Way to go.

Next stop Stanley Cup

Reactions: Icelevel

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Looked pretty good for a prospect this board ranked 14th. I'd like to see him get a few more starts.

I think you and I were among the very few who thought Daccord should be somewhere in the top 10, remember this:

Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects FINAL Ranking 2020 #11

Nice top 10. Need the best goalie prospect on the list shortly

My top 10 list has Daccord:

1. Stuetzle
2. Norris
3. Sanderson
4. Batherson
5. Brannstrom
6. L. Brown
7. Bernard-Docker
8. Pinto
9. Formenton
10. Daccord

It was a toss up between Grieg and Daccord but I wanted a goalie in the top 10 and Daccord is going to be a rock solid starter one day.

My 11-15 will be Grieg, Thomson, Jarventie, Sokolov, Abramov in no particular order yet.

Pretty crazy that Thomson, an 18th overall pick just last year is already sitting outside the top 10.

Edit: fixed the link

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Great way to get his first win! Many more to come. Really like his puck handling. Once a bit more talent is added on the backend, could really help shift play out of Ottawa's zone.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Well NOW I worry about Daccord getting expansion-drafted.

I could get used to him deking the puck around forecheckers :thumbu:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good for him but let's see the rest of the season & next yr before we crown him the starter, remember the Hambugler had a good run too. But I hope he runs with it.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Good for him but let's see the rest of the season & next yr before we crown him the starter, remember the Hambugler had a good run too. But I hope he runs with it.

Definitely lots to prove but I think he has shown he can play at this level, there's not much I've seen in his game whether it was last year in Bellville or this season in Ottawa that is concerning. With Hammond I think most saw the flaws in his game and were reserved in their projection. He was chaotic and imo the team never got enough credit for how they played down the stretch that season. Still it's not fair to Hammond who suffered a hip injury the next season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Definitely lots to prove but I think he has shown he can play at this level, there's not much I've seen in his game whether it was last year in Bellville or this season in Ottawa that is concerning. With Hammond I think most saw the flaws in his game and were reserved in their projection. He was chaotic and imo the team never got enough credit for how they played down the stretch that season. Still it's not fair to Hammond who suffered a hip injury the next season.

Hogberg played great to end last season too & looked very much like an NHL goalie. But you're right, I like everything about Daccord especially that he can handle the puck, we have had so many goalies who couldn't over the yrs. I do hope he runs with it, Ottawa desperately needs NHL goaltending.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I haven't lost any faith in the Hog yet - his starts were so sporadic and right in the middle of our terrible struggles overall before his injury. Hope to see him get some games at home against a team not named the Oilers and see if he can bounce back.

He needed time off anyway as not sure I recall a goalie losing his crease/net by such a huge margin but that should be addressed pretty quickly.

Loving Joey though and still believe he has loads more potential - his puck handling is so impressive and once he begins reading the NHL game better will have more of an impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00