Prospect Info: 2015 199th overall - Joel Daccord (G) Cushing Academy [HIGH-MA]

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Let Mandolese run with it for a while. He might be just as good as Daccord. For a team as deep as we are in net, giving them all some ice time isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Helps the tank, get to evaluate all these guys, and Murray has been trash anyways.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The good news is less chance Seatle take him
Does the player need to have played 2 seasons in the NHL, or just 2 seasons in a professional league (i.e., AHL) to be NON exempt?

Or, are there different rules for goalies?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
2 seasons in professional league
I just remembered that CapFriendly has info on this, so I looked it up.

It appears that the rules that apply to goalies are a bit different. So, the Senators have to expose "one goalie" who meets the criteria defined below.

Expansion Draft FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps.

Minimum Exposure Requirements

Teams must expose a minimum number of players that meet the following criteria for selection in the upcoming Expansion Draft:

Goalies1
  • under contract in 2021-22, OR
  • who’s contract is expiring and is an RFA at the end of 2020-21
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
No, you don t proctect a goalie that come from a knee injury . Not knowing how he perform again

There will be plenty of marginal players protected around the league, especially when the choice is between two marginal players and one of them is owed a shit-tonne of money.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think they protect Murray, they have committed a four yr deal to him & how would that look to him if he is not protected & Seattle doesn't take him? Besides he is really the only goalie on this roster that has a full yr of pro experience, not to mention two cup rings. Ottawa has had goalies go on runs before & flame out, but we can certainly see by their play why it will be a tough decision.

Reactions: Crosside

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think they protect Murray, they have committed a four yr deal to him & how would that look to him if he is not protected & Seattle doesn't take him? Besides he is really the only goalie on this roster that has a full yr of pro experience, not to mention two cup rings. Ottawa has had goalies go on runs before & flame out, but we can certainly see by their play why it will be a tough decision.
I agree - tough decision.

I guess if they protect Murray, the Senators will hope that Seattle finds other unprotected goalie options more attractive. Looks like Hogberg and Daccord would be exposed if Murray is the tender they decide to protect.
(think I have that summarized correctly).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I guess if they protect Murray, the Senators will hope that Seattle finds other unprotected goalie options more attractive. Looks like Hogberg and Daccord would be exposed if Murray is the tender they decide to protect. (think I have that summarized correctly).
That's my guess as well that they will look for NHL goalies who can handle a heavy workload & lots of shots, likely decent backups with a number of yrs of experience & there could be a few. They should be able to grab a couple from this list, I doubt they all get protected.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
Seattle is not taking that contract. It's asset management. Who cares how it looks, this is a business.

Murray has yet to go on one of these runs for us.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Seattle is not taking that contract. It's asset management. Who cares how it looks, this is a business.

Murray has yet to go on one of these runs for us.

But would they take Daccord?

And let's say you are wrong, and they would take Matt Murray. You are out there again looking for a goaltender, unless you feel a tandem of Daccord and Gustavsson is going to do it for you with their combined 483 minutes in a NHL net.

I think Daccord has potential and it sucks he is likely done for the year, but what are you exactly protecting him for?

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

And let's say you are wrong, and they would take Matt Murray. You are out there again looking for a goaltender, unless you feel a tandem of Daccord and Gustavsson is going to do it for you with their combined 483 minutes in a NHL net.

I think Daccord has potential and it sucks he is likely done for the year, but what are you exactly protecting him for?

well, you’re right but in the end you are really just unprotecting Murrays salary and in the process protecting Daccord. Neither really should need protecting - I’d rather save the money and find/take another goalie and and keep developing the ones we have.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
At this point . I would gamble by protecting Daccord. Murray plays out of his mind when he comes back for the rest of the year .. I could change my mind .. if he's average .. I'm protecting Daccord

What about Gus?, he could easily outplay Daccord - Daccord won one game...

Gus is also younger and looked pretty good in his shootout loss.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

If Daccord doesn't come back this year then it certainly makes Seattle think twice about selecting him if they are even considering him in the first place.

Murray will not be taken...I don't see how a new franchise would want that contract with those numbers as a building block. Really doubt any of our goalies are in danger of being selected though.

As for the direct question the reality is we ARE still looking for a goalie with Murrays contract on the books...I would much rather find a vet stopgap for cheap than ties to the Murray contract 4 more years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00