2015-16 Schedules, Training Camp, Rookie Camp, Media, Salary Cap, Draft Picks

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...4/how-flyers-hacked-down-29-players/72746956/

“Anybody that’s here right now has somewhat of a shot,†general manager Ron Hextall said. “I don’t know where our numbers are going to go. If something happens, if someone gets hurt, who knows what happens?â€

------

The final line looks displaced, like it may not be a real consideration for the NHL roster as-is: Chris Porter, Scott Laughton and Brayden Schenn.

“I think each of the combinations that we have potentially could play on opening night,†coach Dave Hakstol answered.

.... that seems odd. I don't see Gagner-Vinny-Read as realistic.

Blatant lie !

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I feel like certain players are blocking some of these guys from getting on the roster because they are untradable. I can see Ghost being called up at some point in the season. He's too good to be in the AHL for long.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So the players remaining are:

Raffl -- Giroux -- Voracek
Read -- Couturier -- Simmonds
Porter -- Laughton -- Schenn
VandeVelde -- Bellemare -- White
Gagner -- Lecavalier -- Umberger
McDonald

Streit -- Schultz
Del Zotto -- Medvedev
MacDonald -- Gudas
Manning -- Schenn

Mason
Neuvirth

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
So the players remaining are:

Raffl -- Giroux -- Voracek
Read -- Couturier -- Simmonds
Porter -- Laughton -- Schenn
VandeVelde -- Bellemare -- White
Gagner -- Lecavalier -- Umberger
McDonald

Streit -- Schultz
Del Zotto -- Medvedev
MacDonald -- Gudas
Manning -- Schenn

Mason
Neuvirth

I see Schenn getting dumped.

B.Schenn and Vinny could be packaged.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I feel like certain players are blocking some of these guys from getting on the roster because they are untradable. I can see Ghost being called up at some point in the season. He's too good to be in the AHL for long.

Look at most top 4 D in the league... most started their first NHL season in the AHL, proved they were too good and then were up by christmas and never looked back.

Ghost himself said earlier in camp he thinks going to the AHL is probably what he needs to start the year due to missing most of last year, he has also said he needs to improve other areas of his game, as offense and good skating only get you so far.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I see Schenn getting dumped.

B.Schenn and Vinny could be packaged.

Highly unlikely. If it were the case it would have happened by now. Vinny is here to stay for the year.

Hextall isn't going to move trade assets at a lower cost to just get rid of Vinny when a buyout is feasible next summer.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Highly unlikely. If it were the case it would have happened by now. Vinny is here to stay for the year.

Hextall isn't going to move trade assets at a lower cost to just get rid of Vinny when a buyout is feasible next summer.

Maybe or Maybe not.

Something has to give. Too many forwards on the roster. You have Laughton knocking on the door. Porter looking like he deserves a spot. Hextall has some tough decisions to make.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Not even close to being true.

In terms of relative to league it is. ;)

But yeh... while Gostisbshere, Morin and Hagg are great prospects I am ecstatic we have they are at this venture not as good as Streit, Medvedev and Schultz.

And MDZ, Macdonald and Gudas are 10x better than Alt, Drewiske and whoever is going to win the Phantoms #6 spot.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Look at most top 4 D in the league... most started their first NHL season in the AHL, proved they were too good and then were up by christmas and never looked back.

Ghost himself said earlier in camp he thinks going to the AHL is probably what he needs to start the year due to missing most of last year, he has also said he needs to improve other areas of his game, as offense and good skating only get you so far.

I can say with absolute confidence that he will be up before the trade deadline.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Maybe or Maybe not.

Something has to give. Too many forwards on the roster. You have Laughton knocking on the door. Porter looking like he deserves a spot. Hextall has some tough decisions to make.

I think what is most likely is that one of Porter or VdV go to the AHL, and Vinny sits. It is pretty easy to do with no real problems arising from it.

I think the media may be drumming up too much around B. Schenn... if you look at the quotes from Hakstol and Hextall in regards to Brayden in a vacuum without the media rhetoric around it there is seemingly nothing indicating a trade is at the front of their minds.

Heck, Hakstol basically said that he was in that spot as they have him earmarked at RW, and that he needs to be more complete in terms of defense and being able to adjust to play with the puck coming to him on his backhand.

Unless someone came in with a great offer he is a Flyer to start the year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe or Maybe not.

Not really as well as they played last year White & VV aren't exactly locks on this roster for the full year. They both still have to continue proving themselves (essentially the life of a veteran fourth line player).

Vinny (& Umberger) are essentially locks given their contract status & the fact that no one wants them.

The Flyers are still in a transition year & Hextall knows this. He's not going to make moves that jeopardize the future of this team for this year which trading a player of value like B. Schenn just to rid themselves of Vinny could potentially do. Especially when there's an easier out (a buyout in the summer).

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Not really as well as they played last year White & VV aren't exactly locks on this roster for the full year. They both still have to continue proving themselves (essentially the life of a veteran fourth line player).

Vinny (& Umberger) are essentially locks given their contract status & the fact that no one wants them.

The Flyers are still in a transition year & Hextall knows this. He's not going to make moves that jeopardize the future of this team for this year which trading a player of value like B. Schenn just to rid themselves of Vinny could potentially do. Especially when there's an easier out (a buyout in the summer).

Its just frustrating watching this guy Vinny on the roster. He has such a poisoning aura about him. Umberger i believe is better than most fans on the board make him out to be. It was clear as day he was beat up last year. His skating looks tremendous.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Someone in the top 6 would need to be traded or injured.

I think though that Schenn is gone by opening night.

And then as you say it would take 1 injury... or simply sitting Gudas if he is not playing well.

I could certainly imagine:

Streit -- Schultz
Del Zotto -- Medvedev
Macdonald -- Gostisbehere
Gudas

if Ghost is lights out in the AHL.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Its just frustrating watching this guy Vinny on the roster. He has such a poisoning aura about him. Umberger i believe is better than most fans on the board make him out to be. It was clear as day he was beat up last year. His skating looks tremendous.

If Umberger is fit he is a good 3rd liner. I think most can appreciate that.

I think we know that Vinny at this stage has a skill-set most suited to being an AHL star really... not good enough offensively for top six, not anywhere near sound enough on D to have a bottom 6 spot.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think the strongest Phantoms D lineup would be:

Hagg-Ghost
Morin-Manning
Drewskie(Marti when healthy)-Alt
Pettersson
Pyett

If Manning is on the Flyers then Alt moves up to partner Morin, although I hope to see Morin and Pettersson paired together at least once just for the amusing visual.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
For Vinny, this has to be the critical moment. He has to see what Hakstol has going here. he knocked himself out over the summer to get into playing shape and that he still doesn't fit. He's looking at a long season in the press box. He also has to know that no other team has made an offer for his services since if they did Hexy would have sent him away by now. Its time to face facts for VL, its been a good career; time to hang them up.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think though that Schenn is gone by opening night.

And then as you say it would take 1 injury... or simply sitting Gudas if he is not playing well.

I could certainly imagine:

Streit -- Schultz
Del Zotto -- Medvedev
Macdonald -- Gostisbehere
Gudas

if Ghost is lights out in the AHL.

Schultz-Streit. ;)

But that lineup does look feasible.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'd love LSchenn to be moved before the season but I seriously doubt we're that lucky.

I think depending on how low Hextall sets the bar depends on if he gets moved. There are always a few trades from ~September 28th up to opening night as teams sort out their rosters, waivers, injuries etc.

Value is generally lower at this time though... I think while Schenn is probably worth a 3rd they would have to settle for less, either a lower pick or a middling prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad