MacDonald -- Gudas
Manning -- Schenn
Hagg -- Gostisbehere

Mason
Neuvirth

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...4/how-flyers-hacked-down-29-players/72746956/

“Anybody that’s here right now has somewhat of a shot,” general manager Ron Hextall said. “I don’t know where our numbers are going to go. If something happens, if someone gets hurt, who knows what happens?”

------

The final line looks displaced, like it may not be a real consideration for the NHL roster as-is: Chris Porter, Scott Laughton and Brayden Schenn.

“I think each of the combinations that we have potentially could play on opening night,” coach Dave Hakstol answered.

.... that seems odd. I don't see Gagner-Vinny-Read as realistic.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't think any of the veteran forwards have been impressive apart from the 1st line and maybe Simmonds. Umberger is definitely skating better but his overall game is no more than OK so far.

I agree, but I'm more talking about him having the same struggles that we've seen before and had hoped would eventually improve. I'm not expecting midseason form from any of the players, but I would've liked to see him look a bit better than he did in certain areas.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So the players remaining are really:

Raffl -- Giroux -- Voracek
Read -- Couturier -- Simmonds
Porter -- Laughton -- Schenn
VandeVelde -- Bellemare -- White
Gagner -- Lecavalier -- Umberger
Cousins -- McDonald

Streit -- Schultz
Del Zotto -- Medvedev
MacDonald -- Gudas
Manning -- Schenn
Hagg -- Gostisbehere

Mason
Neuvirth

Looking at who is left, not a chance Vinny is making it. But we are also going to have to cut 1-2 good 4th liners besides Vinny.

Come on Hexy, weavy that magic wand of yours and make us a nice trade.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Has anyone seen a report on Read's play? I haven't heard anything.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
For Schenn not being in peak condition... To me that's cause for concern. Pending RFA and all, wouldn't it behoove him to come in showing he's more motivated/dedicated than ever? Show he's a top six guy and really impress?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
For Schenn not being in peak condition... To me that's cause for concern. Pending RFA and all, wouldn't it behoove him to come in showing he's more motivated/dedicated than ever? Show he's a top six guy and really impress?
Its not a new thing with either his brother or him. There have been rumblings about the two of them and their conditioning at the start of the last two seasons. Its really dumb on their part. They had to know that Hakstol was going to be putting in a high tempo system since that was his MO at ND. Its especially stupid to be that way this year with both of them becoming some sort of FA unless they want out of here which is what I think is going on.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, I'm sure Hextall will be happy to oblige.
He has no emotional attachment to any of the current players.
If they like Gagner at RW, Umberger can be the LW on the 3rd line.
And moving both Schenns would free up some cap room.
B Schenn should get a solid draft pick, L Schenn could be a throw-in.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Quote this post if I'm wrong but I really think Hextall would want a LW, even if it's a prospect, rather than just draft pick for BSchenn. Likely lottery teams aren't going to give up good chance at a top 3 pick for him, and the assured playoff teams would be hard pressed to take on $6m in cap for the Schenns.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams

Has anyone seen a report on Read's play? I haven't heard anything.

Only played one game and wasn't noticeable, at least to me.

Last edited:

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Quote this post if I'm wrong but I really think Hextall would want a LW, even if it's a prospect, rather than just draft pick for BSchenn. Likely lottery teams aren't going to give up good chance at a top 3 pick for him, and the assured playoff teams would be hard pressed to take on $6m in cap for the Schenns.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams

Only played one game and wasn't noticeable, at least to me.

Agreed

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Well, I'm sure Hextall will be happy to oblige.
He has no emotional attachment to any of the current players.
Weren't there people saying he loves B. Schenn because of some draft involvement or something? I'm not so quick to believe that, but to say he has no emotional attachment to any of the current players is just guesswork on your part. I'm sure he prefers some over others, we all do.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
The problem for Hextall regarding B. Schenn is that he may be worth more at the deadline. As his conditioning improves his play should follow. Add that to the fact he's a pending RFA and teams will be interested.

He has to weigh that consideration vs a more immediate improvement upon the roster (assuming he has a dance partner in a trade) either because of chemistry, skill, or both. However, B. Schenn is still an established 45-50 pt guy and that's hard to give up regardless of circumstance.

Insofar as moves on the backend are concerned, Boston is without Chara for the time being and Sidenberg is out from surgery for 8-10 weeks.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weren't there people saying he loves B. Schenn because of some draft involvement or something? I'm not so quick to believe that, but to say he has no emotional attachment to any of the current players is just guesswork on your part. I'm sure he prefers some over others, we all do.

Other than Umberger, he inherited this team. Extending V and Couts was obvious, other than that, the only guys to get votes of confidence are Shultz and MDZ.

Unless Holmgren has real authority, Hextall has no reason to cover for past mistakes (signings/trades), so his decisions should be based purely on the value to the team going forward.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Would you guys trade the Schenn's to Boston for Marchand or to the Jets for Byfuglien and a pick from either team?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Would you guys trade the Schenn's to Boston for Marchand or to the Jets for Byfuglien and a pick from either team?

It would have to be a pretty good pick along with Buff since he's a UFA the Flyers would have a lot of trouble re-signing.

Marchand is 27 and has two years left at $4.5m so he's a more practical return for a 24 year old RFA like BSchenn.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

where did you hear that schenn's conditioning is not up to par?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Oh Crap.

I thought of this exact same deal earlier today. I am now thinking like Hatcher.

Someone help me. :laugh:

The Marchand one seems to make sense. But then I think to myself that no matter what we do to the forwards, we still have Vinny and are awaiting the D.

So making this change really changes little and then in 2 years when the kids are making the team better, we have a 29 year old UFA who will want a big contract for his declining year.

In 2 years, I would rather have the 26 year old Schenn on a cost controlled contract for a few more years.

Patience is hard.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
guys i just checked the tv guide for monday TCN isn't doing the game al though its listed on csnphilly.com that they would so with CSN and TCN not doing this game

I saw it is listed on NHL Network. NHL network did the game on tuesday vs rangers on tuesday and they did not black it out my guess preseason.

but this game on monday at MSG, flyers tv now not doing the game, my guess NHL Network will be using the MSG rangers feed and the game should be live and not blacked out.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
guys i just checked the tv guide for monday TCN isn't doing the game al though its listed on csnphilly.com that they would so with CSN and TCN not doing this game

I saw it is listed on NHL Network. NHL network did the game on tuesday vs rangers on tuesday and they did not black it out my guess preseason.

but this game on monday at MSG, flyers tv now not doing the game, my guess NHL Network will be using the MSG rangers feed and the game should be live and not blacked out.

Both NHL.com and the Flyers' site currently list TCN-PH as a broadcast option.

NHLN-US,TCN-PH,MSG

http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyweek.htm?team=PHI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad