2015-16 Schedules, Training Camp, Rookie Camp, Media, Salary Cap, Draft Picks

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Raffl, Couturier, and Neuvirth not practicing per Bill Meltzer on twitter.

Porter-G-Voracek
Schenn-Gagner-Simmonds
Read-Laughton-Umberger
VdV-White-Bellemare

Schultz-Streit
MDZ-Medvedev
MacDonald-Gudas
Manning-Schenn

Mason
LaBarbera

Extras: Vinny, McDonald

Last edited:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Macdonald and porter waived. Wanted Porter on with his speed and work ethic which a lot of the players don't have.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Macdonald and porter waived. Wanted Porter on with his speed and work ethic which a lot of the players don't have.

See....you just can't do that. You made my heart jump.

Colin McDonald was waived.

Lol...adding that letter "a" in there threw me!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They also started paying attention to what Hextall was saying about how hard Laughton was playing in camp.

I'll look dumb if he ends up getting sent down instead of Manning, but from the start of camp I never believed the stories that Laughton-BSchenn were the 5th line and Lecavalier's line was the 3rd line.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I went to Buzzfeed in order to kind of time lapse the evolution of our forward lines through camp when I was steered into clicking an article on the front page that I expected to be Meltzer.

It was Eklund.

This is what it said...

Vinny Lacavalier
VLC has looked absolutely great in camp and the preseason. He is the perfect example of professionalism and he spent this summer working harder than he ever has before…But that wasn’t all that was wrong with Vinny’s game last year. Much more had to do with the fact that finely tuned skilled players NEED to play with skilled players and Craig Berube placed Vinny on the fourth line last year…when he played him at all. This camp he has been often paired with Sam Gagner and the combo has been thrilling to watch to say the least.

He went on to list all the guys doing things in camp, with absolutely no mention of Laughton.

Anyway...back to what I was originally looking for...

DAY 1:
Michael Raffl - Claude Giroux - Jakub Voracek
Matt Read - Sean Couturier - Wayne Simmonds
R.J. Umberger - Vincent Lecavalier - Sam Gagner
Chris VandeVelde - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - Ryan White
Chris Porter - Scott Laughton - Brayden Schenn

DAY 4 (PRESEASON 1/2):
Sam Gagner - Sean Couturier - Wayne Simmonds
Taylor Leier - Nick Cousins - Aaron Palushaj
Derek Mathers - Danick Martel - Nicolas Aube-Kubel
and
R.J. Umberger - Vinny Lecavalier - Sam Gagner
Chris VandeVelde - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - Ryan White
Jay Rosehill - Cole Bardreau - Travis Konecny

DAY 5 (PRESEASON 3):
Sam Gagner - Sean Couturier - Wayne Simmonds
R.J. Umberger - Scott Laughton - Brayden Schenn
Aaron Palushaj - Nick Cousins - Travis Konecny
Jay Rosehill - Tim Brent - Colin McDonald

DAY 7:
R.J. Umberger - Sean Couturier - Wayne Simmonds
Sam Gagner - Vincent Lecavalier - Matt Read
Chris VandeVelde - Ryan White - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare

DAY 8 (PRESEASON 4):
Sam Gagner - Vincent Lecavalier - Matt Read
Chris Porter - Nick Cousins - Brayden Schenn
Chris VandeVelde - Colin McDonald - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare

DAY 10 (PRESEASON 5):
R.J. Umberger - Sam Gagner - Wayne Simmonds
Matt Read - Vincent Lecavalier - Brayden Schenn
Chris VandeVelde - Scott Laughton - Ryan White

DAY 11 (YESTERDAY):
Chris Porter - Claude Giroux - Jakub Voracek
Brayden Schenn - Sam Gagner - Wayne Simmonds
Matt Read - Scott Laughton - R.J. Umberger
Chris VandeVelde - Ryan White - Pierre Edouard Bellemare

DAY 12 (TODAY/PRESEASON 6):
Brayden Schenn - Claude Giroux - Jakub Voracek
Chris Porter - Sam Gagner - Wayne Simmonds
Matt Read - Scott Laughton - R.J. Umberger
Chris VandeVelde - Ryan White - Pierre Edouard Bellemare

It doesn't look to me at all as if the Schenn - Laughton line was the "5th" line, but it definitely wasn't the "3rd" line. I think they were both being looked at equally, but I also think they gave more of the benefit of the doubt to Lecavalier's line. It wasn't so much that they were down on Schenn, Laughton, and Porter, but more that they gave Lecavalier literally EVERY shot to succeed. You can see the progression where Laughton and Schenn both move up the lineup slowly. Lecavalier eventually plummets despite being seated on the "3rd" all camp.

I think

xxxxx - Giroux - Voracek = LINE 1
xxxxx - Couturier - Simmonds = LINE 2
xxxxx - Lecavalier - Ganger = LINE 3A
xxxxx - Laughton - Schenn = LINE 3B
xxxxx - White - Bellemare = LINE 4

In the end, the players associated with LINE 3B played significantly better than those associated with 3A, thus why they're seeing more opportunities in the lineup as of right now. I definitely think, however, that Vinny and Gagner were considered the main 3rd line at first.

Lecavalier was never tried at the wing, and he won't be if things go as I suspect. Up until yesterday, Lecavalier was the 3rd line center. He is no longer on the roster. That was the only place he was going to play, and it appears as though he has since lost the position to Laughton.

Schenn has only been on the wing, therefore his competition has been with the wings, mostly against Gagner (who has also played a bit of center), Umberger, and Porter.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I went to Buzzfeed in order to kind of time lapse the evolution of our forward lines through camp when I was steered into clicking an article on the front page that I expected to be Meltzer.

It was Eklund.

This is what it said...

He went on to list all the guys doing things in camp, with absolutely no mention of Laughton.

What drug was he on while watching? Vinny looks the same.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
He also said that Konecny reminds him of M.Richards....lol what? Not at all. Not the same size, not the same ability, and completely different skaters.

I don't hate on Eklund, but it was a very poor comparison.

I actually hate Eklund, but I too thought about Richards on a couple of Konency's shifts where he was all over the place and the hardest worker on the ice (not style just effort).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's got that similar reckless style. Hopefully it doesn't catch up to him like it did Richards.

Evergreen

He also said that Konecny reminds him of M.Richards....lol what? Not at all. Not the same size, not the same ability, and completely different skaters.

They definitely have different skating styles, but I don't see how they aren't the same size. Both guys are pretty short but stocky type guys.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

They're almost exactly the same size with similar playing styles.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Yeah I was going to say...Konecny definitely reminds me of Richards a bit.

I do think that Konecny may be a bit more skilled with the puck.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Konecny is nothing like Richards.
Konecny is much faster and explosive as a skater (burst as well as speed) and is more poised than the younger Richards.
Richards was more a smaller version of Couts, high energy mucker with scoring skills.

At 5'11 200 he was short but stout.
However, he was never a great scorer, 99 points in 67 games in his second season in juniors,
20 years old: 79 11-23 34
21 years old: 59 10-22 32
22 years old: 73 28-47 75
23 years old: 79 30-50 80
24 years old: 81 23-43 66
traded to LA and went straight downhill.
Some of his problems was his physical style of play, some his off the ice behavior, but I think that he "overperformed", he had a couple years that were above his talent grade, he was essentially a solid two way center who was a 20-40 60 player. Which is what I expect from Couts once he gets a RW who can score on a regular basis and Read is healthy.

Konecny is more like a smaller version of Vorecek, a fast winger who can create and score. Though he looks to be more explosive, but lacks the size and strength to control the puck in traffic like V, he has the hands and poise to work in tight spaces (something Gagner lacks, which is why I think he's never become more than a Ville Leino type winger, 15 goals, 40 points with subpar defense)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What would you consider a great scorer? I would take those numbers Richards put up for Konecny and run.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Neck is more like Parise than Richards; basically better skating, faster, and a better shooter. Richards was a better passer and better hitter, but both could battle in the corners. All in all it was the effort both players put on the ice that made them stand out. Neck has that same puck-sharking that they both had. He's a little more elusive than Richards though, which is nice for someone on the wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad