Prospect Info: 2015/16 Bakersfield Condors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Meh would have preferred to keep Klinkhammer as the vet LW, but something tells me he's going to try and find a PTO before giving up on his NHL dream.

Now get Winquist signed!

Winquist-Khaira-Slepyshev
Hamilton-Yakimov-_____
Sailanen(sp?)-Platzer-Chase

Wouldn't surprise me to see Ford get that last spot. Though I'd rather look outside the organization for a solution there. That team needs some speed, as (outside of Slepyshev) that top 6 ssssllllllllooooooooowwwwwwwwww...

Winquist-Lander-Slepyshev
Hamilton-Yakimov-Benik
Sallinen-Platzer-Chase
Moroz/Kessy-Loiseau-Currie
Kessy/Moroz Christoffer

I think Khaira beats out Lander for an NHL spot.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Where you guys getting this from?

Just speculating, but the guy already bailed on his team once. The Condors writer Scott Zerr at Oilersnation guessed he would stay in Russia for good next season too. I don't know the situation any more than the rest of folks on here taking in the news as it comes in, hopefully he's 100% committed to the Oilers/Condors next year. But at this point though I'd like to see some sort of a contingency plan, hopefully Chiarelli can flip some redundant d prospects for forward (preferably C) pro prospects, because Yakimov has proven himself to be unreliable at this point.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Just speculating, but the guy already bailed on his team once. The Condors writer Scott Zerr at Oilersnation guessed he would stay in Russia for good next season too. I don't know the situation any more than the rest of folks on here taking in the news as it comes in, hopefully he's 100% committed to the Oilers/Condors next year. But at this point though I'd like to see some sort of a contingency plan, hopefully Chiarelli can flip some redundant d prospects for forward (preferably C) pro prospects, because Yakimov has proven himself to be unreliable at this point.

If we stay status quo we are doomed for the same results and so is the Oil.

The ONLY ECHL guy to prove himself up here was Currie on the 4th line center. No one else did anything to say wow. Roy had some good moments. Kessey is likely gone as his contract expires. Lallegia sucks as a dman.

Loiseau, Platzer Chase and even Moroz are forgettable. None of them makes you say WOW. Moroz tends to have better games than the other 3. Honestly dump most of them and get new blood. These guys are too small and play small. Yak2 also has his moments. When he plays physical he is great. JJ is a far better player. Klnkhammer was THE bomb. He, Ford, Pitlick (when healthy) and Hamilton were the "go to guys". Currie made a name for himself when he got his AHL contract. Winquist also was good when healthy. Everyone else was a fill in.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Winquist-Lander-Slepyshev
Hamilton-Yakimov-Benik
Sallinen-Platzer-Chase
Moroz/Kessy-Loiseau-Currie
Kessy/Moroz Christoffer

I think Khaira beats out Lander for an NHL spot.

Forgot about Benik, that's another name to the hat. I'm liking the organization's strategy to get those 3rd tier guys on AHL only deals.

Even though I would like one more vet in the top 6, because you know Khaira and even Yakimov aren't going to be there long term, I feel like they're going to keep that RW free as a "show me what you got" spot for the unestablished Platzer, Chase, Benik and Sallinen.

I do agree one of Lander or Letestu is likely going to end up in Bakersfield at some point, but I think they'll be given a bit more time to bounce back first.

Juju's got one more year of wavier ineligibility, so take advantage of that and have him start the year with the Condors. Let him get his feet under him at the AHL and then bring him up in November/December or whenever the inevitable injury s**tstrom hits.

TonyAndrock

Oct 26, 2013
I compiled lists for all the AHL Western Conference teams in terms of who's under contract for next season and all the free agents. They can be found here: http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2016/06/offseason-guide-part-2-ahl-free-agents.html

Any corrections I need to make with Bakersfield's list?

Bakersfield Condors (Edmonton Oilers)

Under Contract

Forwards: Scott Allen (AHL), Joey Benik (AHL), Drake Caggiula, Gregory Chase, Braden Christoffer, Ryan Hamilton (2-year AHL deal), Jujhar Khaira, Mitchell Moroz, Kyle Platzer, Patrick Russell, Jere Sallinen, Anton Slepyshev and Bogdan Yakimov

Defensemen: Ben Betker, Caleb Jones, Joey Laleggia, Griffin Reinhart, Dillon Simpson

Goaltenders: Nick Ellis and Eetu Laurikainen

Impending Free Agents

NHL UFA: defensemen Brad Hunt and Nikita Nikitin and forwards Rob Klinkhammer and Andrew Miller

NHL RFA: goaltender Niklas Lundstrom (signed 1-year deal with IF Björklöven in Sweden2), defensemen David Musil, Jordan Oesterle and forwards Kessy Kale and Tyler Pitlick

AHL UFA: goaltender Ty Rimmer, defenseman Nick Pageau and forwards Josh Currie, Matthew Ford, Alexis Loiseau, Philip McRae, Kyle Platzer, Marc-Olivier Roy and Joshua Winquist

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I was just thinking this today...

With Caggiula, Russell, Benik (AHL deal), Nurse, Reinhart and Brossoit all potentially starting in the AHL next year, the Condors should get a real shot in the arm. Could see big things out of them next season.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

With Caggiula, Russell, Benik (AHL deal), Nurse, Reinhart and Brossoit all potentially starting in the AHL next year, the Condors should get a real shot in the arm. Could see big things out of them next season.

It will be nice. Last time we had a team potentially this strong was when we split Hamilton with the Habs I believe.

Another one to keep your eye on is Eetu. I feel like he is going to get noticed this upcoming season in Bakersfield.

We are definitely going to see some players get moved from bakersfield with the depth building up finally.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It will be nice. Last time we had a team potentially this strong was when we split Hamilton with the Habs I believe.

Another one to keep your eye on is Eetu. I feel like he is going to get noticed this upcoming season in Bakersfield.

We are definitely going to see some players get moved from bakersfield with the depth building up finally.

The OKC Barons used to have strong teams. They were 1st in Conference in 2011-12 and they made it to finals not to long ago and semi finals before that IIRC. Even last couple years they were 6th-8th seed

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The OKC Barons used to have strong teams. They were 1st in Conference in 2011-12 and they made it to finals not to long ago and semi finals before that IIRC. Even last couple years they were 6th-8th seed

OKC used to have strong teams, but it was primarily because of a large presence of veteran players like Hunt and Hamilton; and having a guy like Bachman in net. All very good players at that level but none of them have a future in the NHL. The exciting thing about the Condors next year is they'll be primarily guys who are legit prospects for us: Slepyshev, Yakimov, Caggiula, Khaira, Simpson, at least one of Nurse or Reinhart, along with LB and Eetu in net. All of those guys could be Oilers within 3-4 years, along with some others. The only real vet on the team is Hamilton, who is a great guy to have around for the prospects imo.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think I am most intrigued to see how Russell does. I know he's not expected to be a big leader for them but he's played that role in the past I think.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

All getting 5 minutes a game while the Ford's of the team get 30 minutes a game.

:sarcasm:

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
All getting 5 minutes a game while the Ford's of the team get 30 minutes a game.

:sarcasm:

Without the Ford's of the game we would have CRAP hockey. Ford, Hamilton, Yak2 and Pitlick (when healthy) allowed us to win games. Yes new guys need to get ice time to develop, but they also need veteran leadership to show them how to win. One of the BIGGEST problems with the Edmonton system is too many young kids and not enough vets. Players are rushed into the NHL before they have had time to develop properly. Nurse would be far better if he had been here all season. Even Chiarelli agrees with that assessment. Simpson has grown drastically as has both Osterle and Musil. Ford plays a VERY important role and without him or someone like him we will not win many games. Players get to see what it takes to make the all important play. it is one thing to teach it. it is another to see it right in front of you.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Without the Ford's of the game we would have CRAP hockey. Ford, Hamilton, Yak2 and Pitlick (when healthy) allowed us to win games. Yes new guys need to get ice time to develop, but they also need veteran leadership to show them how to win. One of the BIGGEST problems with the Edmonton system is too many young kids and not enough vets. Players are rushed into the NHL before they have had time to develop properly. Nurse would be far better if he had been here all season. Even Chiarelli agrees with that assessment. Simpson has grown drastically as has both Osterle and Musil. Ford plays a VERY important role and without him or someone like him we will not win many games. Players get to see what it takes to make the all important play. it is one thing to teach it. it is another to see it right in front of you.

There was an icetime chart that was shown from last year. It's one thing to give the vets more icetime than the younger guys, which I understand but you also need a balance, but there was segments of time where the vets were fed a mountain of icetime. You need to give opportunities for the young guys to excel, and not be stuck in 4th line icetime the entire year.

I don't think they did a good job at that. The games I saw coupled with the stats I've seen show that the younger players don't get as much opportunity as I feel they should.

The same way you don't want to draft a high end player and play him 7 minutes a game in the NHL, you don't want some of your offensive prospects playing 7-10 minutes in the AHL.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
There was an icetime chart that was shown from last year. It's one thing to give the vets more icetime than the younger guys, which I understand but you also need a balance, but there was segments of time where the vets were fed a mountain of icetime. You need to give opportunities for the young guys to excel, and not be stuck in 4th line icetime the entire year.

I don't think they did a good job at that. The games I saw coupled with the stats I've seen show that the younger players don't get as much opportunity as I feel they should.

The same way you don't want to draft a high end player and play him 7 minutes a game in the NHL, you don't want some of your offensive prospects playing 7-10 minutes in the AHL.

If you saw most of those young guys play, you'd know why they got no ice time. They just weren't very good. There were a few that might be nhlers one day, like Khaira. Even so, most were barely of AHL quality.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
If you saw most of those young guys play, you'd know why they got no ice time. They just weren't very good. There were a few that might be nhlers one day, like Khaira. Even so, most were barely of AHL quality.

In the games I saw Winquist, Roy, Chase, Slepy, Platzer and Khaira were all young forwards that showed some very good splurts of play. I think "weren't very good" isn't a full picture of the season. That's six players that showed some potential in the AHL, and didn't always get a shot.

Correction: I wouldn't say Chase had "very good" spurts. I only saw two games of his, and he looked fine.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
In the games I saw Winquist, Roy, Chase, Slepy, Platzer and Khaira were all young forwards that showed some very good splurts of play. I think "weren't very good" isn't a full picture of the season. That's six players that showed some potential in the AHL, and didn't always get a shot.

Slepyshev really figured it out in the back half. His first 20 games in the AHL had me concerned but he's still got middle six NHL potential.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014

Correction: I wouldn't say Chase had "very good" spurts. I only saw two games of his, and he looked fine.

Roy, Chase, and Platzer won't be NHLers. Slepyshev got better as the year went on, but was terrible most of the season. Winquist wasn't even on an NHL contract and may or may not be coming back. He was in a class well above the others you mention, except Khaira. Khaira looks like an NHLer to me. All the vets on the team and most of the young guys on other Pacific division teams looked much stronger than our young guys. The fact of the matter is that the Oilers have a long history of drafting poorly, and it takes time to remedy that. Hopefully firing their scouts last year will help in the long run. Until then, to win games, the Condors will have to lean heavily on vets.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Slepyshev really figured it out in the back half. His first 20 games in the AHL had me concerned but he's still got middle six NHL potential.

He improved quite a lot. The expectations were pretty low by mid season. We'll see if he can maintain it and continue to improve. He has some good tools if he can get it together.

21 points and minus 11 in the AHL doesn't scream top 6 to me. 2nd worst plus minus on the team and outscored by career ECHLer Josh Currie. He has a very long way to go to even merit an NHL call-up.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Currie started as a Condor in the eCHL. Last year he was signed to an AHL contract after he was called up. He is a good 4th line center and can score as well. he uses his body to hit hard. He has made monumental steps then when I saw him in the ECHL here.

As for the other youngsters, they are BARELY AHL qualified as was stated above. NONE of the NEW guys can hit or break up a cycle or willing to got to the net to get the dirty goals and take the abuse. Ford is willing constantly to go to the net. JJ, Slepy are the best. Chase, Platzer Christopher are ugly......Laleggia is the WORST.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Keep your eye in Jere Sallinen coming from the KHL. I believe his game will translate nicely to North America with his style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln