Prospect Info: 2015/16 Bakersfield Condors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttstapled

May 1, 2010
Sounds like Josh Winquist is gone to Bridgeport (LT said AHL contract on Twitter)

http://lowetide.ca/2016/07/02/the-price-you-pay/

So the Oilers actually allowed one of their very rare scouting "wins" to leave with no return? This was a 22 year old AHL point producing machine who has a much higher upside than anyone else in Bako and they let him walk?

This team will have major cap issues shortly and Winquist could have been an inexpensive scoring option - one of the rarest things in the modern NHL. Not to mention that he has QB'd the power play everywhere he has played - something the Oil has a major issue with and no solution in sight.

Stupid is as stupid does...

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
So the Oilers actually allowed one of their very rare scouting "wins" to leave with no return? This was a 22 year old AHL point producing machine who has a much higher upside than anyone else in Bako and they let him walk?

This team will have major cap issues shortly and Winquist could have been an inexpensive scoring option - one of the rarest things in the modern NHL. Not to mention that he has QB'd the power play everywhere he has played - something the Oil has a major issue with and no solution in sight.

Stupid is as stupid does...

It's an AHL deal, hardly stupid.

Bring the drama

Buttstapled

May 1, 2010
It's an AHL deal, hardly stupid.

Bring the drama

The Oilers chose to sign Christoffer who MAY play over the 4th line in the AHL at some point before his contract runs out over Winquist who will be top 9 for someone in the NHL inside of two years. That is stupid. AHL deal or not.

I suspect the same people who thought Schulz was a better bet than Petry had a lot to do with both decisions.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think its a bit crazy to get worked up over them letting Winquist go. Can anyone actually tell me one thing that he really excels at other than putting up some points in the minors? He's not very big, he isn't very physical, not a great skater. Could he be an NHLer? Sure, but I don't really see anything in his game that would suggest he could benefit this team going forward. Guys like Slepyshev, Khaira, Caggiula, and Benson all bring things that this team needs. Whether it be size, shot, physicality, toughness, high hockey smarts and versatility. Its not like the Islanders gave him an NHL contract, and he probably saw that he wasn't getting one here so he moved on.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Winquist was a hell of a player. He ALWAYS went to the net. He, like Pitlick, had injury issues because of the way he played. he was a VERY physical player. We have sooo many kids that are never going to make the NHL. Laleggia is crap on defense. he cannot stop the cycle and although he tries to check but he is brushed aside like a fly. Christopher is a liability. He takes stupid penalties and offers not much of anything else. Platzer is another forward who also does not play a physical game. In short, Winquist was a big loss here.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Winquist was a hell of a player. He ALWAYS went to the net. He, like Pitlick, had injury issues because of the way he played. he was a VERY physical player. We have sooo many kids that are never going to make the NHL. Laleggia is crap on defense. he cannot stop the cycle and although he tries to check but he is brushed aside like a fly. Christopher is a liability. He takes stupid penalties and offers not much of anything else. Platzer is another forward who also does not play a physical game. In short, Winquist was a big loss here.

Beck should seriously help.
I am excited to see some Chia era prospects.
I feel like the Oilers have had far too many failed prospects.

Buttstapled

May 1, 2010
I think its a bit crazy to get worked up over them letting Winquist go. Can anyone actually tell me one thing that he really excels at other than putting up some points in the minors? He's not very big, he isn't very physical, not a great skater. Could he be an NHLer? Sure, but I don't really see anything in his game that would suggest he could benefit this team going forward. Guys like Slepyshev, Khaira, Caggiula, and Benson all bring things that this team needs. Whether it be size, shot, physicality, toughness, high hockey smarts and versatility. Its not like the Islanders gave him an NHL contract, and he probably saw that he wasn't getting one here so he moved on.

Slep has all the tools but no toolbox. JJ is a smarter version of the usual coke machine but will never contribute offence. Caggiula and Benson haven't played pro yet (and it's a big step - see Chase and Christoffer) so the jury is out on them.

Winquist is fast - not blow you away fast - but much quicker than in jr. Scout has called him the smartest player on any team he is on (from Lowetide) so hockey smarts covered. Physical see above. Tough - played the last month of his season on a broken foot following two major knee injuries. Got 6'7" Hunter Smith tossed from a game for his actions trying to get at Winquist. Also had a couple of line brawls with Kessy and Moroz. Listed as left wing but played most of last season as centre. Previous year as right wing. Both seasons point on PP. Sounds fairly versatile. And he manages to put up numbers too.

The point I wanted to make is how do the worst evaluators in the NHL let him walk away for nothing without seeing how he looks at the next level? Just seems stupid to me.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Slep has all the tools but no toolbox. JJ is a smarter version of the usual coke machine but will never contribute offence. Caggiula and Benson haven't played pro yet (and it's a big step - see Chase and Christoffer) so the jury is out on them.

Winquist is fast - not blow you away fast - but much quicker than in jr. Scout has called him the smartest player on any team he is on (from Lowetide) so hockey smarts covered. Physical see above. Tough - played the last month of his season on a broken foot following two major knee injuries. Got 6'7" Hunter Smith tossed from a game for his actions trying to get at Winquist. Also had a couple of line brawls with Kessy and Moroz. Listed as left wing but played most of last season as centre. Previous year as right wing. Both seasons point on PP. Sounds fairly versatile. And he manages to put up numbers too.

The point I wanted to make is how do the worst evaluators in the NHL let him walk away for nothing without seeing how he looks at the next level? Just seems stupid to me.

Thank you..Should have at least signed him to an AHL contract. This was one of the few independent signings that was a good bet. Way too many non physical players in Bako. You can keep the Platzers, lalgeggias, Chase, Chrostopher and any one else who cannot skate, cannot hit and makes a dozen passes before taking a shot. Winquist went to the net hard and fast. he fought in the corners with more than a love tap. Betker is not that magnificent either. Honestly it is hard to look at last years roster and remember who was a standout once you got past the vets and the the guys who did have some NHL time.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Too early to say Slepyshev has no toolbox after one season playing on NA ice. Khaira I won't argue that, I never saw him as much more than a good bottom 6er with decent vision, good board work and physicality, and underrated skating. Chase and Christoffer are pretty poor comparable to Caggiula imo who performed at a much higher level in the NCAA which is much closer to AHL than the WHL is. Benson of course is not worth considering this year because he'll be back in the WHL, but he has superior hockey IQ to anyone mentioned including Winquist and would have almost 100% been a top 20 pick in this years draft if not higher had he been healthy all year. Benson and Caggiula are definitely miles ahead as prospects than Chase a 7th rounder and Christoffer, an undrafted player who didn't even hit PPG in his last year of junior.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Losing Winquist stings, though I do think they did an okay job replacing him with Beck.

Beck-Khaira-Ford
Hamilton-Pitlick-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Yakimov-Slepyshev

Pakman could also end up there if Pitlick or Beck beat him for a spot in camp, or Chai feels that he wants him down there to help Pulju (he's in the rare situation -if I'm not mistaken- where he's on a one way contract, but is still wavier ineligible.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Losing Winquist stings, though I do think they did an okay job replacing him with Beck.

Beck-Khaira-Ford
Hamilton-Pitlick-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Yakimov-Slepyshev

Pakman could also end up there if Pitlick or Beck beat him for a spot in camp, or Chai feels that he wants him down there to help Pulju (he's in the rare situation -if I'm not mistaken- where he's on a one way contract, but is still wavier ineligible.

You are correct.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyone else think Lander ends up in Bakersfield?

Maybe, but he's also the only centre we have that can fill in on 4C. I already think Pakarinen could be the 1st extra forward so they might be inclined to keep Lander in case a centre gets hurt (although they could also put Hendricks at C). Probably depends if Khaira has a good camp and if they feel comfortable putting him at C, or if Yakimov has a good camp and suddenly learned how to skate (I assume he'll be in camp?).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe, but he's also the only centre we have that can fill in on 4C. I already think Pakarinen could be the 1st extra forward so they might be inclined to keep Lander in case a centre gets hurt (although they could also put Hendricks at C). Probably depends if Khaira has a good camp and if they feel comfortable putting him at C, or if Yakimov has a good camp and suddenly learned how to skate (I assume he'll be in camp?).

Letestu? That and there will be numerous guys on waivers if we end up shifting LD to the wing.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I wouldn't keep Lander as the 4th centre or the 13th forward. The guy has been one of the most frustrating prospects we've had. 3 points in 61 games last year, so he can't generate ANY offense by himself. At this point I don't care about him being claimed, he's 25 and has 31 points in 193 games. I think that basically protects him from waivers right there.

He's had so, so many chances. If he wants to bolt to Sweden or gets claimed, whatever. Send him to the AHL, don't keep him around the team. If he tears it up down there again, bring him up when and injury happens. I'd be shocked if he had a good camp.

That all said, I'm excited to see Khaira again. He keeps taking steps forward, ever since the BCHL. I sincerely think he has the drive to become an NHL-regular in a bottom 6 role.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldn't keep Lander as the 4th centre or the 13th forward. The guy has been one of the most frustrating prospects we've had. 3 points in 61 games last year, so he can't generate ANY offense by himself. At this point I don't care about him being claimed, he's 25 and has 31 points in 193 games. I think that basically protects him from waivers right there.

He's had so, so many chances. If he wants to bolt to Sweden or gets claimed, whatever. Send him to the AHL, don't keep him around the team. If he tears it up down there again, bring him up when and injury happens. I'd be shocked if he had a good camp.

That all said, I'm excited to see Khaira again. He keeps taking steps forward, ever since the BCHL. I sincerely think he has the drive to become an NHL-regular in a bottom 6 role.

Lander actually had a great camp last year and led preseason in goals for the entire NHL. I wasn't suggesting keeping him up because I'm afraid to lose him to waivers. I honestly wouldn't care if that happened. The only reason I suggested he might be kept up is so that the waiver eligible guys who might not be ready can go down and get playing time in Bakersfield rather than sitting in the press box. If they want to give Pitlick a shot as an extra forward instead of Lander then by all means be my guest.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Lander actually had a great camp last year and led preseason in goals for the entire NHL. I wasn't suggesting keeping him up because I'm afraid to lose him to waivers. I honestly wouldn't care if that happened. The only reason I suggested he might be kept up is so that the waiver eligible guys who might not be ready can go down and get playing time in Bakersfield rather than sitting in the press box. If they want to give Pitlick a shot as an extra forward instead of Lander then by all means be my guest.

Pitlick will get hurt sitting in the press box.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I said fill in at 4C, i.e. if injuries occur. I think they'd rather send down waiver exempt players to Bakersfield to get playing time and keep Lander in the press box as an injury fill in.

They didn't even use Lander like that last year. They put wingers at center instead as it was quite clear TM had zero confidence in the kid.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They didn't even use Lander like that last year. They put wingers at center instead as it was quite clear TM had zero confidence in the kid.

They did that for like 2 games with Pakarinen and I think that was more because they wanted to keep the Letestu Hendricks line together. Unless you're referring to Hendricks who has always played centre and wing.

Lander had an awful year offensively, but I don't think he's as bad as his season showed. He's at least a decent fill in option for 4C who's good in the dot and kills penalties. Not a bad extra forward option at his cap hit if he can find a middle ground between his last season play and the season before, and he lets guys who still need playing time to develop in Bakersfield between call-ups. I'd much rather have Lander sitting in the press box for weeks on end than a guy like Khaira, Slepyshev, Caggiula, etc.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Ford signs with Grand Rapids.

Ha I could have sworn he was under contract for whatever reason.

Welp, move Pitlick or Slepy up into his spot for what I guessed above and add Currie to the top 9.

Sallinen, Platzer, Chase, and Moroz + Allen, Benik and Russel(the last three likely Norfolk bound) round out the depth chart.

This team sort of strikes me as the Blue Jackets of the AHL. Good size, but there's not a lot of drivers there. Pulju and Slepyshev are really the only forwards I'd trust to consistently control the puck. It's the same with the back end and Fraser, Nurse, Reinhart, Musil, Simpson, and Laleggia.

Though this is likely deliberate to give the younger guys a chance to QB the play after spending a year or two behind Hunt and Nikitin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad