Prospect Info: 2015/16 Bakersfield Condors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
He's not wrong though. None of those players are offensive NHL superstars (none hit NHL PPG). I wouldn't mind a Mikko Koviu or RyJo. If he fails to hit AHL PPG then 1B/2C upside is more reasonable than Joe Thornton. If he dominates the sky is the limit.

He is wrong though.

He said "an offensive player" not anything to do with superstar. We all know Jadeddog posts enough that he means that if he's not a PPG in the AHL, he'll be offensively stunted in the NHL.

Every single player I listed is a talented, offensive player in the NHL.

And that took me 5 minutes to find those guys. I can find 40-50 guys at the drop of a hat that all had less than a PPG in their rookie years in the AHL, all 20 years and older, who are good + offensive players in the NHL.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
AHL is just a difficult league to score in. Going PPG is rare even for a good player. It's an entirely different beast from NHL. Drai has only been down for what, 3 games? It's an adjustment period and it might take him half the season to get going. Klefbom was awful in the beginning of his AHL career, as was many guys before him. It's natural.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I can find 40-50 guys at the drop of a hat that all had less than a PPG in their rookie years in the AHL, all 20 years and older, who are good + offensive players in the NHL.
Maybe its my bad, but I had no idea that Sharp spent that much time in the AHL.
Big chunks of three different seasons and he never sniffed PPG pace in that league.
Its an instructive post.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
AHL is just a difficult league to score in. Going PPG is rare even for a good player.
Yet Anton Lander was able to go 18-34-52 in 46 games during the 2013/14 season, and 9-22-31 in 29 games during the 2014/15 season.
Pretty sure Arcobello was close to PPG on that team as well. I don't think its as rare as you think it is.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
You do wonder though if Draisaitl won't look as effective because his linemates might not use his passing as well. He can definitely develop there, but I remember Klefbom saying in some ways it was easier to play in the NHL because of more skill and better systems.

I've followed Draisaitl a fair bit in the last couple of years and it seems to me every time he makes a move, it takes some time for him to get comfortable. That definitely happened with the Rockets, it looked like he was starting to get it right when Nelson sent him down last year, and I would expect it will take 10-15 Condors games before he's really comfortable.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yet Anton Lander was able to go 18-34-52 in 46 games during the 2013/14 season, and 9-22-31 in 29 games during the 2014/15 season.
Pretty sure Arcobello was close to PPG on that team as well. I don't think its as rare as you think it is.
The ahl is a very different league though. Some people are great in the ahl but will never be NHL players, like Hunt.

Then there are guys like Klefbom who are better NHL players than they are NHL guys.

You can even go to the KHL where Omark is just as good as Kovalchuk but was garbage in the NHL.

Every league is a different beast

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I don't think you understood me correctly. It's a difficult league to come into and just light on fire immediately. Lander didn't produce those numbers in his first AHL season...of course you can light it up when you've been there for a long while, that's self-explanatory, but there's an adjustment period for almost every player that comes into that league. Many, many top prospects have completely sunk in the AHL after being real successful junior players and as have already been evidenced, tons of real good NHL players never sniffed PPG in AHL. It's really not about points in that league.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Watched a bit of the Condors-Gulls game (don't - the broadcast is below NHL preseason quality). I think it would be good for him to stay the year in the AHL. A couple of nice plays and then a giveaway because he can't turn or accelerate quick enough.

He's still learning how to play against men rather than boys. It'll take some time. He has been relatively invisible in the early going, but he's going to get minutes and have every opportunity to get it. 3 games is a small sample size, but it's looking like significant time in the AHL will be needed for Draisaitl this year.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Maybe its my bad, but I had no idea that Sharp spent that much time in the AHL.
Big chunks of three different seasons and he never sniffed PPG pace in that league.
Its an instructive post.

You're right. Super surprising that a guy like Sharp took that much time.

There's simply not a 1 PPG at 20 rule = Offensive NHL'er rule. There's way too much case by case evidence to say otherwise.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
You're right. Super surprising that a guy like Sharp took that much time.

There's simply not a 1 PPG at 20 rule = Offensive NHL'er rule. There's way too much case by case evidence to say otherwise.

PPG at NCAA as a Freshman and AHL PPG at 20 is a great benchmark for a future NHL impact player. Yes, it's true an great NHL player could have lesser NCAA/AHL stats but a player with solid NCAA/AHL stats has a much higher probability of being an NHL star.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
PPG at NCAA as a Freshman and AHL PPG at 20 is a great benchmark for a future NHL impact player. Yes, it's true an great NHL player could have lesser NCAA/AHL stats but a player with solid NCAA/AHL stats has a much higher probability of being an NHL star.

I was simply responding to an absolute.

Sure, there might be a higher chance, but it isn't a certainty, or even close to it, if they don't get PPG at 20.

There's simply too many players in the NHL that have proven otherwise.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Cold start for Draisaitl and the Condors in general.
1-2-1
and
4gp 0g 1a -4.

Hopefully he has a McDavid like 5th game :)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I don't think you understood me correctly. It's a difficult league to come into and just light on fire immediately. Lander didn't produce those numbers in his first AHL season...of course you can light it up when you've been there for a long while, that's self-explanatory, but there's an adjustment period for almost every player that comes into that league. Many, many top prospects have completely sunk in the AHL after being real successful junior players and as have already been evidenced, tons of real good NHL players never sniffed PPG in AHL. It's really not about points in that league.
Yeah, I would defer to you or others who watch the league more than I do. I try to catch as many Oiler AHL affiliate games as I can, but as an example I was shocked to learn that Sharp was three seasons in the league. And the bolded would lead you to think that a player of Sharp's caliber would have been dominating the AHL by his third (partial) season. Yet not.

I sure realize that there are players like Hunt (six assists over a recent two game span) who for whatever reason can't translate it to the NHL. And just looking at points doesn't tell the whole story as to whether the player is actually improving or not. I think we agree there. Imo it depends on too many factors to say a player scoring x points at a certain age is going to fail/succeed in the NHL.

For example not only was Lander scoring at a better clip every year, he was learning to take draws (won 16/22 NHL draws tonight, including 9/10 o-zone draws) and playing on the top PK unit as well (3:48 on the NHL PK tonight, most on the team, most trusted by the coach in the role). None of that stuff shows up in the point columns, and not every guy who spends a couple seasons in the AHL learns to do that stuff properly. I suspect that Sharp spent his AHL time learning to do it well. Hopefully Lander becomes something similar.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He is wrong though.

He said "an offensive player" not anything to do with superstar. We all know Jadeddog posts enough that he means that if he's not a PPG in the AHL, he'll be offensively stunted in the NHL.

Every single player I listed is a talented, offensive player in the NHL.

And that took me 5 minutes to find those guys. I can find 40-50 guys at the drop of a hat that all had less than a PPG in their rookie years in the AHL, all 20 years and older, who are good + offensive players in the NHL.

I clicked on one name and saw Ryan Johansen. He is an incredible hockey player. If Draisaitl ever turns into a player like him the Oilers would flip out.

I didn't even bother clicking on any more names...haha.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Watched the 3rd period of the Condors game. Ugh. Bad goaltending and just disorganized overall compared to the speedy baby Sharks.

Khaira seems to playing a much bigger role as he never seemed to leave the ice, but you can tell the Condors don't have AHL elite offensive skill types except for Christoffer/Hunt/Miller.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Saturday was Drai's BEST game. He made some plays but he is still NOT using his size. Nurse uses his size to keep the puck in the zone. Drai has essentially no moves when he is going against the goal tender by himself. He showed that lack of scoring flair in both San Diego on Friday and Saturday in Bako. he needs a LOT more time here.

There was zero defense Friday night but on Saturday there was the BEST defense of the season...all 4 games. Eetu was total crap. Two games came off of our own dmen because they did not truct Eetu to make the save. The winning goal came off of the ref's skate to a player in the slot.

Hunt is a VERY serious force on the ice. He does make some blunders which in one case he missed the puck completely and it lead to a goal against. Bako outplayed SJ form the drop of the puck on both ends of the ice. It came down to three weird bounces and an ECHL goal tender.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Watched the 3rd period of the Condors game. Ugh. Bad goaltending and just disorganized overall compared to the speedy baby Sharks.

Khaira seems to playing a much bigger role as he never seemed to leave the ice, but you can tell the Condors don't have AHL elite offensive skill types except for Christoffer/Hunt/Miller.

Well that is some extremely high praise! If that is the case then perhaps he does have a good shot at the NHL in time?

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Hey...just wondering is someone could give me an update on how Kyle Platzer is looking??? chance to stick with team? what do you think?

Platzer does not get that much ice time. He is ok. Nothing that says wow...but then again it is early. So far when goal tending is good we are fine. When it sucks we suck. Eetu is a solid ECHL goal tender. he is not ready for this league when he had THE best defense of the season in front of him. He allowed 3 weird bounces to end up in the back of the net. I can see maybe one...but 3 out of 5??? Miserable.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Any word on if Scrivens/Nikitin is in Bakersfield practicing with the team? I mean, it's been 17-18 days since they where sent down...

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Any word on if Scrivens/Nikitin is in Bakersfield practicing with the team? I mean, it's been 17-18 days since they where sent down...

I read somewhere that Scrivens is starting a game this weekend and that Nikitin is practicing with the team, although his visa has not been processed yet. Can't remember where I read that, though.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Platzer does not get that much ice time. He is ok. Nothing that says wow...but then again it is early. So far when goal tending is good we are fine. When it sucks we suck. Eetu is a solid ECHL goal tender. he is not ready for this league when he had THE best defense of the season in front of him. He allowed 3 weird bounces to end up in the back of the net. I can see maybe one...but 3 out of 5??? Miserable.

Yeah, I thought it was just me who thought Eetu couldn't stop a beach ball - slow to react, bad rebounds, etc.

Condors will still struggle to score goals and that's sad with Leon on the team.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I read somewhere that Scrivens is starting a game this weekend and that Nikitin is practicing with the team, although his visa has not been processed yet. Can't remember where I read that, though.

Both have been practicing with the team for a whole. Scrivens is playing Friday night against Ontario(LA Kings) who have 4 NHL players with over 400 NHL games each. Nikitin had to go back to Calgary to get his paperwork done but is supposed to be back today.

Eetu is like ET....phone home....they are looking for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad