2015-16 Around the League VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
The most damning evidence against Wideman is that shows no remorse or attempt to help the linesman after "running into him." He just keeps skating to the bench.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Would be good karma after what happened to Winchester for him to get the book thrown at him. I don't think there was intent with Winchester but... There's no excuse for what he did, you don't intentionally put your hands on the ref.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good, still think that was a cheap and dangerous play he made in a mean nothing game to end Winchester's career. This just puts a spotlight on what a dirty player he is.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
He intended to apply force, and the action he choose was sufficient that there is a possibility of injury, so 20 games is possible. He may have been dazed enough to think it was a Nashville player, so maybe only 10. But that is not his post game excuse...he says he did not see him, could not avoid him. If he could not see the linesman, how would he know to try to avoid? Or know to put his hands up? He saw the linesman. But by saying he could not avoid, it implies he knew t was an official, not a player, and his arms going up and crosschecking with that much force show clear intent to apply sufficient force to cause injury. So I conclude 20 games (the minimum). Which means absolutely nothing. Good Canadian boy, playing for a Canadian team...he will get every benefit of the doubt. Too be fair, he is generally not a dirty player anyhow.

But if he was so dazed that he could not see the linesman, or recognize him, what about concussion protocol? Hell, head first into the boards, he should have been pulled aside anyhow. Calgary staff may need to be questioned on that one. Not that they are the only ones that skirt the rules on that kind of thing.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There has to be a camera from the other end of the rink that the NHL has access to, that shows where he was looking at the time. That's the only thing causing the smallest bit of doubt, even though he clearly extends his arms in a shoving manner, and doesn't give one second thought to seeing if he was ok.

The only thing I thought it could have been was that he was dazed and thought it was an opposing player, but since he just tried to claim he didn't see anything, that puts that idea out the window.

I'm guessing he gets away with just a fine, like Lucic can continue to sucker punch people from behind as a repeat offender and only get one game, while guys like McLeod who had never been suspended get five games for Kronwall reversing the other way as he's going for the puck in the corner, and Barrie who also had no history get three games because he left his feet half an inch to hit a guy that was bent over at the waist searching for the puck that no one knew he lost.

The disciplinary committee is a complete sham. It's all for PR to help the league's concussion lawsuit.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I really don't think he'll get away with this, or else other players could easily used the 'dazed and confused' excuse after a big hit to take their anger out on the refs.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
He wont get suspended or anything. He should. He was cleary of sound mind to be able to skate over and up onto the bench. And there is a big reason why refs wear the stripes..so you can see them like big human signposts. He'll get a stiff fine, which is too bad. NHL should make an example of him but even if they do the PA will appeal it.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Poor judgement. He was in that state where he was ticked and just clearing his own path and not really caring who was in his way.

Definitely don't think he was specifically after the official, but it is still a dumb move and should earn a suspension. Just like a high stick, he is responsible even if it was an "accident". Even without intent the league has to suspend for that. It isn't like he crushed the linesman in the flow of play.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I really don't think he'll get away with this, or else other players could easily used the 'dazed and confused' excuse after a big hit to take their anger out on the refs.

giphy.gif

;)

I see Wideman getting the book thrown at him. That hit is everywhere and the NHL has to do something to save face here.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Toews out of the ASG so he will be out of the game against us, I'll take it. Replaced by James Neal so NSH has 4 guys going now, good don't let them rest over the break. ;)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Toews out of the ASG so he will be out of the game against us, I'll take it. Replaced by James Neal so NSH has 4 guys going now, good don't let them rest over the break. ;)

You serious? James Neal took his place instead of Wheeler?

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
You serious? James Neal took his place instead of Wheeler?

LOL yeah actually kind of irritating how the Central would be the best team out there instead we get to watch James Neal over someone like Wheeler, Panarin, or even Mackinnon.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
LOL yeah actually kind of irritating how the Central would be the best team out there instead we get to watch James Neal over someone like Wheeler, Panarin, or even Mackinnon.

I guess it's possible Wheeler already has plans over the break. I don't think it's suspension worthy if you decline a last minute invite.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
I don't know if it matters to anyone else but the NHL breakaway challenge thing with Duchene, Saad, and Larkin but I just want to see Dutchy win. Truthfully I don't know why its between these 3 players or what is happening really but I see there is a twitter vote going on with the other guys getting a bunch of help... so where are the Denver Broncos when you need them? :sarcasm:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Hitting an official without the intention to injure is automatic 10 games suspension, if deemed that he intended to injure him it's automatic 20 games at the minimum.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I'm apparently in the minority here but I wouldn't be at all shocked if after getting his head railed into the glass about 10 seconds earlier that Wideman was just concussed and skating to the bench, looks up - sees a body, and does what is instinctual to a hockey player. Anyone who has been concussed or knows anything about concussions knows it isn't at all uncommon for people to totally be gone in the seconds to minutes after having one and I think it could easily be the case here. Nothing in Wideman's career has led me to think he would so stupidly and intentionally just take down a ref even if he was upset about a hit.

I don't think he should have been back in the game after that happened either - so much for those "concussion spotters" - but I guess the league just wants it to LOOK like they're actually serious about it.

Really no way to know though and while he'll probably have to get a suspension of some kind I think the league makes it small to try to sweep it under the rug instead of having to bring up questions about hits to the head again.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Yeah Calgary should just come out and say that he has a concussion and rest him for 2 games or so to try to avoid the 20 game suspension.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think that's a pretty tall tale. Wasn't he upset the ref didn't call the hit a penalty? And you can't just randomly shove a player anyway. If he didn't even get pulled out of the game for a head injury that's a really tough sell. Plus you want to set that sort of precedent, oh I didn't know what I was doing, it's about personal responsibility and people should always have to be held accountable for their actions. Sometimes things are an accident but you are still responsible.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I really don't think it's a tall tale by a long shot. Ever been concussed? It's pretty crazy, especially in the first few minutes after it happens. I has a friend who got concussed once and didn't remember the entire car ride home (I was driving).

And I mean, I'm sure in literally every game players get angry about calls that refs fail to make, how often to we ever hear about a guy physically going after a ref - especially like Wideman did?

That hit looks like a hit a guy throws if he's skating to his bench and an opposing player hops onto the ice right in front of him - very reactionary/instinctual.

I just have a tough time believing a guy like Wideman who is a vet in this league just finally snapped and decided it would be a good decision to mug a ref.

And I'm certainly not implying he's not responsible - I just don't necessarily think it was malicious, and to me it once again highlights the league's total inadequacy when it comes to dealing with hits to the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad