2015-16 Around the League VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Amazing stickhandling and latteral mobility.

At the end they have an overlay graphic showing his shot at 181km/hour that would be 112mph and a harder shot than Chara's record, I kind of doubt that.

And that music, omg:shakehead

181kph is 165ft/sec...so the puck moves 5.5 ft between frames, and a shot like that from about 44 ft out takes 8 frames. A shot of 100mph does the same distance in 9 frames. As the two events are unlikely to happen exactly as a frame is captured, it is likely that there is some rounding going on. Likely they only count full frames between puck on stick and puck in net...will give the highest possible speed the puck could have been going, and higher is more exciting. Example: first frame shows follow through and puck is on its way (1), then 2,3,4,5,6,7,8...then the frame with puck in net. If the puck is long gone in the frame 1, and in frame 9, the puck is barely over the line...then the actual velocity is closer to that 100mph mark than the 112mph shown on screen. Would be more accurate if they had a high speed camera, or even just used the distance traveled in a single frame. But that is hard due to the puck not showing up clearly in all frames at that speed, and no grid...would have to extrapolate, and that can be just as inaccurate. Major NA networks have the equipment to do it...not sure about elsewhere (guarantee Thai companies don't).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Amazing stickhandling and latteral mobility.

At the end they have an overlay graphic showing his shot at 181km/hour that would be 112mph and a harder shot than Chara's record, I kind of doubt that.

And that music, omg:shakehead

Numerous players have had harder shots than Chara, be it in the team skills competition or in a game taking a one-timer, which have more velocity on them.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Oh wow that whole redesigned NHL.tv came out today. 50 for a whole year!
Say what!!

oh wait its 50 for the rest of the year..oh nvm. I imagine its 100 for a year or something then

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Numerous players have had harder shots than Chara, be it in the team skills competition or in a game taking a one-timer, which have more velocity on them.

1- One-timers do not have more velocity than walking in a slapshot, this makes absolutely no sense from a physics POV.

2- Bold part. Numerous players NHL? I have not seen document evidence of that. This is not one of them:

http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=27469

Why everyone makes a big deal out of Chara's record then?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Gordie Howe was reported to have a 114 MPH wrist shot. I'm not sure I would be confident in the accuracy of that though.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Cowen reportedly hit 110 in a team skills competition years ago.

I think the difference is Chara can do it in an in-game situation and still be fairly accurate, whereas all these other players need to have the perfect setup as well without picking a spot.

dancurrie

Feb 1, 2016
Fantasy question
trade proposed to me Crosby + Gibson
for
Mackinnon + Backstrom (Was)

its a points only keeper pool that ends in 2 years after this one.
I'm currently tied for 1st, prize payouts are $200 a year but the winner of the final year gets $1000

would you take that deal? i know it helps me win this year but will Mackinnon surpass crosby in 2 years time?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Good that he's healthy but I don't see a reason to root for McDavid to win the Calder. I like Larkin anyways.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Was it beneath him to play in Bakersfield? A conditioning assignment that wasn't a conditioning assignment. Whatever works I guess.

That was an organizational decision. McDavid would have played, and probably wanted to play. Imagine if the first game McDavid plays since coming back from injury some AHL goon takes a run at him. Doesn't even get to touch NHL ice and probably done for the year. Only reason they sent him down there is to practice because NHL teams were not allowed to practice.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well to be fair I don't think it was his decision either. I thought he went there just so he had somewhere to keep skating and rehabbing over the break, I didn't know he was essentially ready to play. Someone in the NHL could take him out first game back too. It's just funny.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Well to be fair I don't think it was his decision either. I thought he went there just so he had somewhere to keep skating and rehabbing over the break, I didn't know he was essentially ready to play. Someone in the NHL could take him out first game back too. It's just funny.

Well yes he could be taken out in the first game back but it looks and sounds better then being taken out in an AHL game.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Oh wow that whole redesigned NHL.tv came out today. 50 for a whole year!
Say what!!

oh wait its 50 for the rest of the year..oh nvm. I imagine its 100 for a year or something then

Interesting. Can't access it in Canada though, it keeps redirecting to Rogers (the comcast of Canada)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It was a prank, with a foam puck. Check the link I posted.

Good to know... still point remains the same, lots and lots of hard shots out there. The AHL has has been 104, 105, and 103 3 consecutive years. Players most hockey fans haven't heard of... let alone all the NHL players. Triple digits on a slapshot is common place in the NHL now.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Good to know... still point remains the same, lots and lots of hard shots out there. The AHL has has been 104, 105, and 103 3 consecutive years. Players most hockey fans haven't heard of... let alone all the NHL players. Triple digits on a slapshot is common place in the NHL now.

Hockey used to be a sport where every team had 2-3 players who could really fire it. Now with todays equipment, basically anyone can generate power behind a shot.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Hockey used to be a sport where every team had 2-3 players who could really fire it. Now with todays equipment, basically anyone can generate power behind a shot.

Apparently not Ekblad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad