2015-16 Around the League VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I'm apparently in the minority here but I wouldn't be at all shocked if after getting his head railed into the glass about 10 seconds earlier that Wideman was just concussed and skating to the bench, looks up - sees a body, and does what is instinctual to a hockey player. Anyone who has been concussed or knows anything about concussions knows it isn't at all uncommon for people to totally be gone in the seconds to minutes after having one and I think it could easily be the case here. Nothing in Wideman's career has led me to think he would so stupidly and intentionally just take down a ref even if he was upset about a hit.

I don't think he should have been back in the game after that happened either - so much for those "concussion spotters" - but I guess the league just wants it to LOOK like they're actually serious about it.

Really no way to know though and while he'll probably have to get a suspension of some kind I think the league makes it small to try to sweep it under the rug instead of having to bring up questions about hits to the head again.

You could have a point if the dude didn't completely steamroll the guy. He didn't just run into. He put up both arms and violently shoved him to the ground. That's not a natural reaction to suddenly seeing someone in your way, even for a hockey player (this isn't "NHL Hitz", these guys are taught to avoid contact away from the puck otherwise they will get called for interference or what not). Natural reaction is to hold up and try to avoid contact as much as possible, not bare down to create an even bigger collision. That was no accident. The only thing I might buy is that he was too dazed to realize who he was hitting, but Wideman himself said something different.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
On a different note, with all these players dropping out of the ASG with "injuries" does anyone else think that with all this country music stuff and the game being in Nashville that Dutchy is the one All-Star that would fight tooth and nail to still go even if he was hurt - just to be there for all the other stuff going on?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm honestly with Arwko. It seemed reactionary to me. Even if he's not concussed he's still a little dazed and all of a sudden somebody appears in front of him. My reaction would probably be the same. Still deserves a suspension because he is responsible but I don't think his intention was to hurt the referee. I think his reaction was to protect himself and let the other person (whether that be a teammate, opposing player of referee) get the worst of it

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I suppose I can't discount that he got his bell rung and that was a factor... but A) The Flames should have been pro-active and taken him out of the game. B) The NHL still has to throw the book at him because that kind of a hit on an official can't happen. They cannot set a precedent where that kind of contact is given a pass. Officials are not players, and incidents involving contact with officials must be handled on a completely different level. Even if there is not intent that kind of contact with officials cannot be tolerated. He got the minimum suspension that was appropriate. It easily could have been worth 20 games regardless of intent or what was going on with him health wise.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
Sorry if this has been answered, but I can't use the search function on a school computer for whatever reason. Are you allowed to trade during the All Star Break?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sorry if this has been answered, but I can't use the search function on a school computer for whatever reason. Are you allowed to trade during the All Star Break?

It's not an official trade freeze, but the league frowns upon it. They don't want it to overshadow All Star weekend or put a downer on it for players.

Usually moves are finalized but not made public until after the weekend.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Toews suspended one game for missing the ASG (along with Ovi) and so the Hawks will not have him for the Feb 2nd game against the Avs. Works for me.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Maybe I'm crazy but Wideman looked completely out of it when he knocked the ref over. I think he knew he was hitting someone, but I think he thought it was an opposing player.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Maybe I'm crazy but Wideman looked completely out of it when he knocked the ref over. I think he knew he was hitting someone, but I think he thought it was an opposing player.

That could very well be the case, but it's still no reason to give him a pass. You can't give players any rope to make an excuse that they didn't know who they were hitting or did it by accident. Any player could start using that as an excuse regardless of their true intent. It's simply a no tolerance situation.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I don't think anyone's calling for him not to receive any punishment - I mean at the least he should get the minimum 10 games for "applying physical force" to a ref - I think the issue/disagreement here is

1)The people saying this was w/o a doubt intentional/malicious (with some out there even saying he should be charged with assault/kicked out of the league/etc)

and

2) The fact that this definitely calls into question what the hell the NHL is doing with their concussion protocol and "concussion spotters" that Wideman was allowed right back into the game.

Last edited:

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I don't think anyone's calling for him not to receive any punishment - I mean at the least he should get the minimum 10 games for "applying physical force" to a ref - I think the issue/disagreement here is

1)The people saying this was w/o a doubt intentional (with some out there even saying he should be charged with assault/kicked out of the league/etc)

and

2) The fact that this definitely calls into question what the hell the NHL is doing with their concussion protocol and "concussion spotters" that Wideman was allowed right back into the game.

Agree on both points.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Yeah, when he speared Bullard in '88 said he was "dazed and [doesn't] remember skewering the guy"

Which to be honest, I again believe (and again it doesn't remove the responsibility) but when people get concussed they can do all kinds of weird stuff and not remember any of it seconds or minutes or hours later.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

This is quite amazing. He does everything.

Amazing stickhandling and latteral mobility.

At the end they have an overlay graphic showing his shot at 181km/hour that would be 112mph and a harder shot than Chara's record, I kind of doubt that.

And that music, omg:shakehead

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
ASweekend.. r we done yet>?
I am really excited for the Avs to come into this post ASW with their heads held high and the team healthy, ie no flu. There is a big trade coming for some team, and if it is us I hope we do not overspend for help today...
Go Avs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad