Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMonkey*

How the hell has Lombardi played more and earned it? :laugh:

And to be clear, I'm not a fan of either one making the team at this point.

Because by the end of camp, Lombardi will have shown more. He can fill a variety of roles and play in a variety of situations. Unlike Malone, who will need very sheltered minutes, a very defined role, and can play one position.

SupersonicMonkey*

And to clarify, i am rooting for Lombardi, but if he doesn't earn it, and someone else does, that's to the teams' benefit.

But, i can't see this coaching staff cutting Lombardi or Glass. With Boyle in Tampa and Stepan injured, they will be looking for other players to kill penalties and play well on the defensive side of the puck. Which Lombardi and Glass can both do.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Wayne Simmonds says--he doesn't want to say that his team will be out for blood against the Rangers these next two games but his team will be out for blood.

That could be taken as fair warning.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
And to clarify, i am rooting for Lombardi, but if he doesn't earn it, and someone else does, that's to the teams' benefit.

But, i can't see this coaching staff cutting Lombardi or Glass. With Boyle in Tampa and Stepan injured, they will be looking for other players to kill penalties and play well on the defensive side of the puck. Which Lombardi and Glass can both do.

Hagelin, MZA, Nash, MSL, Moore all PK.

Lindberg and Hrivik PK.

I am still in favor of one of Lindberg or Hrivik making the team

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Feel like it's just me on this board but I have no use for hrivik. At best he's a 4th liner. Nothing special id keep him this year for depth but if prob trade him at some point. He's probably an nhler on a no playoff team though

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Wayne Simmonds says--he doesn't want to say that his team will be out for blood against the Rangers these next two games but his team will be out for blood.

That could be taken as fair warning.

I hope they're out for blood.

We could use the extra 15 powerplays.

Wolfy*

There's glass in the press box again behind Lombardi no less lol

They never learn.

Problem with these posters is that they fail to see what is realistic. They just want kids in the lineup, close to their own age ;)

Btw, there's a game tonight, right? Didn't see a GDT.

SupersonicMonkey*

Hagelin, MZA, Nash, MSL, Moore all PK.

Lindberg and Hrivik PK.

I am still in favor of one of Lindberg or Hrivik making the team

The more "bottom six" players on the roster that can fill that role, the better. You don't want your top offensive guys blocking shots and wearing out on the PK when the Moore, Lombardi, Glass, Stempniak group can do that for them.

Lindberg, while i have no doubt he will eventually be a good PKer at the NHL level, still needs to prove he can play at the NHL level first. Its one thing to carry a kid like Duclair, with little expectation for his defensive game, who would clearly be there to provide offensive punch, and carrying a rookie with no NHL experience to fill a major defensive role.

That said, I do hope Lindberg makes it. But he will need to have guys who have experience and are defensively sound to be on his wings while he adjusts.

Lombardi - Lindberg - Stempniak

Lombardi can take faceoffs if Lindberg is struggling that night.

Hrivik, i like as well, but where is he playing? And with who? Not with Lindberg.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
They never learn.

Problem with these posters is that they fail to see what is realistic. They just want kids in the lineup, close to their own age ;)

More like we want the best players, who give the team the best chance to win.

Not an overpaid monolith of everything that's wrong with the culture of hockey making the team worse.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
They never learn.

If you were building this roster they wouldn't even sniff a wildcard spot.

SupersonicMonkey*

Edit: Don't want to get involved.

Big opportunity for some of these guys while there are injuries.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Because by the end of camp, Lombardi will have shown more. He can fill a variety of roles and play in a variety of situations. Unlike Malone, who will need very sheltered minutes, a very defined role, and can play one position.

What exactly are you basing that on? Lombardi didn't even play in the league last year. He's every bit as much of a question mark as Malone, if not more. And he's hurt too, with a groin injury. Both have played 1 pre-season game. Malone played a physical game and scored a goal. What did Lombardi do?

We have plenty of speed in our lineup. Right now I don't see how anyone can slot Lombardi in over Malone.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
At least Malone played well in his preseason game

Lombardi was awful now he's injured lol

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@PLeonardNYDN: J.T. Miller just hit Lundqvist in neck/collarbone/sidemask w/ wrist shot. Lundqvist furious. Shaking it off. Appears OK though. Gulp #NYR”

SupersonicMonkey*

What exactly are you basing that on? Lombardi didn't even play in the league last year. He's every bit as much of a question mark as Malone, if not more. And he's hurt too, with a groin injury. Both have played 1 pre-season game. Malone played a physical game and scored a goal. What did Lombardi do?

We have plenty of speed in our lineup. Right now I don't see how anyone can slot Lombardi in over Malone.

Lombardi wasn't in the NHL but he still played at a high level and played well. Where as Malone was awful and even worse off the ice.

I could care less that Malone stood in front to tap in a pass from Miller, who did all the work.

Duclair scored on a cross ice pass as well, but did far far more shift-to-shift.

Lombardi is injured...But he may be ready tomorrow night. From what Vigneault said, it doesn't look like a big issue. Malone will miss both today and tomorrow and no guarantee he will get in a game at all. He hasn't been on the ice since last week.

You can't see how anyone could slot a guy who provides more versatility, into the lineup, over a guy whos only attribute is being large? Don't concern yourself with types or wanting to fill a spot because of height and weight. The better hockey players should fill all the spots.

http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/2...-matthew-lombardi-and-ryan-malone-being-hurt/

Vigneault added that it was “definitely†a concern that Lombardi and Malone are struggling with injuries in camp and while neither player got hurt on purpose, they need to play to be able to make the team.

If Malone can't get on the ice, why should he have a spot over anyone?

If Lombardi doesn't get a spot, I could care less, as long as the guy who does can actually play hockey and skate better than a 45 year old in beer league.

SupersonicMonkey*

And Tanner Glass has had a better camp than Malone, thus far. So, there is zero chance Glass gets cut.

AHB*

At least Malone played well in his preseason game

Lombardi was awful now he's injured lol

Yes really funny that players are getting injured. Do you root for the Rangers or just in the hopes that you're right?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
“@PLeonardNYDN: J.T. Miller just hit Lundqvist in neck/collarbone/sidemask w/ wrist shot. Lundqvist furious. Shaking it off. Appears OK though. Gulp #NYRâ€

If it was a warm-up/goalie shooting drill, I understand his anger. You don't try to go top cheddar in that situation. Keep your shots chest down and let the goalie work on his movement and positioning. I have to yell at my beer league teammates for the same reason sometimes.

If, on the other hand, it was a drill or scrimmage in which you're facing actual defenders, you can't completely control your shot as a forward. Maybe they'll give some more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland