Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'm pulling hard for Duclair. I'm pulling hard for Lindberg. And i'm pulling hard for Hrvik.

Stempniak is looking good - and for a bottom 6 player he'll provide more stability than Kristo can - even if Kristo shows more offensive promise at the expense of defense.

Miller i'm taking as a foregone conclusion that he'll make it. Big year for him coming up.

As for why i'm pulling hard for just those 3 prospects to make the team right now - Duclair and Nash have had instant chemistry. Call me crazy, but i'm sure part of Nash's dominant start to camp has come because of Duclair the energizer bunny on the line. He's fiesty, does whatever it takes, and its hard for his line mates not to feed off of that energy. With Miller centering them they looked pretty damn explosive on Friday.

Lindberg reminds me of Dominic Moore. Defensively repsonsible, isn't afraid of contact, has offensive capability. Him and Moore would create 2/3 of a defensive dynamo 4th line, hard forechecking, great at face-offs, and with above average offensive skill for that line.

Hrvik has sold me on his play - he did last summer, he has again this summer. He could be a great 4th liner for us. Problem is that we already have too many guys that fill the same skill set as he does. We need more diversity - i.e adding someone more physical, adding someone bigger, adding something we don't already have.

It also seems like the 4th line winger positions will be the hardest to crack.

Lindberg
Stempniak
Glass
Malone
Lombardi
Hrvik
Fast

They can all be a part of that line and not miss a beat.

Of the group, only Glass doesn't have above average offensive and defensive skill set... but he fights...

AV isn't big on fighting, which would make me believe that perhaps Glass could fill in as a 13th forward against more physical teams or come in during an injury to a player.

But even still - Stempniak looked damn good and Hrvik would likely have to beat him out (in the event that Duke makes it onto the 3rd line).

Ideally, I'd love to see these lines when Stepan returns:

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Hags-Brassard-Zucc
Duke-Miller-Nash
Lindberg-Moore-Stempniak
Glass, Lombardi, Hrvik (spare forwards)

AHB*

I agree with Duclair, I think we're all pulling for him. The Stepan injury sealed Miller making the team, it's just a matter of what he does with it.

I like Lindberg, but I'm not sold on him. And I think Bourque and Hrvik will fight for that 4th line spot, with Fast possibly getting a look as well.

BarbaraAlphanse

I agree with Duclair, I think we're all pulling for him. The Stepan injury sealed Miller making the team, it's just a matter of what he does with it.

I like Lindberg, but I'm not sold on him. And I think Bourque and Hrvik will fight for that 4th line spot, with Fast possibly getting a look as well.

Fast should go down, and play a full year in the AHL where his mentality shifts more to taking the shot first.

After all, he could potentially be taking Hagelin's spot on the roster next year, when Hags is a UFA.

Wolfy*

Please stop this nonsense about Glass being a spare. He will certainly be a regular 4th liner unless he looks totally hopeless out there. And he did not do so against the Devils the other day.

When are you gonna learn that a 1.45M guy will not spend most of his minutes on the bench, Glass is the Dorsett replacement, he also brings that physical element.

I believe Malone will be the 13th forward. Glass and Malone could split some 60-20 in games, just like Dorsett and Carcillo did last season.

AHB*

Please stop this nonsense about Glass being a spare. He will certainly be a regular 4th liner unless he looks totally hopeless out there. And he did not do so against the Devils the other day.

When are you gonna learn that a 1.45M guy will not spend most of his minutes on the bench, Glass is the Dorsett replacement, he also brings that physical element.

I believe Malone will be the 13th forward. Glass and Malone could split some 60-20 in games, just like Dorsett and Carcillo did last season.

Another Nostradomus I see.

BarbaraAlphanse

There seems to be something more to be said about if a player makes it than their salary. Wade Redden was much harder to bury and they did everything they could to get him off of the books.

As for Glass, I think he'll be fine. I don't think that he's going to look as atrocious as everyone expects him to be. But we have better players for that line. And AV really didn't incorporate fighting as something important.

Sooner or later, Glass will be replaced on the account of defensively more responsible & offensively more skilled players. At which point he will be a spare. Not because he sucks... but because there are better alternatives.

How do I know there will be better alternatives? Look at Glass' advanced stats.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I sincerely hope that AV uses the last two preseason games with his full, final squad.

Last he was tinkering all throughout preseason to find his final team. I know there were a bunch of factors that went into our horrible start last year, but that certainly did not help. Hope he learned his lesson this year...

Wolfy*

There seems to be something more to be said about if a player makes it than their salary. Wade Redden was much harder to bury and they did everything they could to get him off of the books.

As for Glass, I think he'll be fine. I don't think that he's going to look as atrocious as everyone expects him to be. But we have better players for that line. And AV really didn't incorporate fighting as something important.

Sooner or later, Glass will be replaced on the account of defensively more responsible & offensively more skilled players. At which point he will be a spare. Not because he sucks... but because there are better alternatives.

How do I know there will be better alternatives? Look at Glass' advanced stats.

It's not just AV who makes decisions around here. Slats obviously wants the physical element present in the lineup, he keeps signing tough guys on a regular basis. But not all of them had much success here, like Clowe and Carcillo.

Yeah, sooner or later...any player could be replaced if there is a better alternative. But at the moment, no rookie will be better than Glass and his experience. If you think so, you got it all wrong.

Zuccarello Awesome*

It's not just AV who makes decisions around here. Slats obviously wants the physical element present in the lineup, he keeps signing tough guys on a regular basis. But not all of them had much success here, like Clowe and Carcillo.

Yeah, sooner or later...any player could be replaced if there is a better alternative. But at the moment, no rookie will be better than Glass and his experience. If you think so, you got it all wrong.

How are Clowe and Carcillo in the same breath, when talking about their Rangers careers?

How did Carcillo not have success here?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Seems odd to put Duclair on such a weak line after his showing last game. You'd think they'd want to keep him with big boys and see if he can replicate that success.

Wouldn't it make more sense to try him out in different situations, not just with stars?

Wolfy*

I'll fall out of my chair if I see Duclair in the lineup on opening night, thinking AV must be nuts.

I've seen what can happen to teenagers thrown into the NHL, a possible great talent messed up. Duclair should spend at least one more year in the minors.

So to me it doesn't matter what line he's on, let him have some fun up here for a while, and then it's back to junior hockey.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
I think Hrvik should probably go to another team. I see the NHL in his future but I don't think he'll make it with the Rangers too many guys ahead of him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hrivik and Lindberg are ready for 4th line duty. Lindberg is a better player than Lombardi. Hrivik provides size and strength to that line. Both good 2-way players. Both have good speed and can control the puck.

Kreider-Brassard-MZA
MSL/Nash-Miller-MSL/Nash
Hagelin-Moore-Stempniak
Glass-Lindberg-Hrivik
Lombardi/Malone

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Fast should go down, and play a full year in the AHL where his mentality shifts more to taking the shot first.

After all, he could potentially be taking Hagelin's spot on the roster next year, when Hags is a UFA.

Hagelin will be RFA.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If Malone and Lombardi stay hurt sorry the Spots have to go to a guy like fast if he keeps going well

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012

the glass hate is hilarious since he actually has had a good camp. Glass is what he is which is a 4th liner and PK. Im more upset with the mcilrath pick which is looking worse lol

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I'll fall out of my chair if I see Duclair in the lineup on opening night, thinking AV must be nuts.

I've seen what can happen to teenagers thrown into the NHL, a possible great talent messed up. Duclair should spend at least one more year in the minors.

So to me it doesn't matter what line he's on, let him have some fun up here for a while, and then it's back to junior hockey.

Because the handful of teenagers we see on a yearly basis throughout the NHL all have their careers ruined right? He should get the look he deserves whether it's the rest of training camp, a handful of games to start the season or an extended stay. I'll trust the coaching staff to make that decision.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
When did Lombardi get hurt?

In camp yesterday , supposed yo play this gent but he's banged up. Hard to make the team when he's not playing . I do think he clears if he's waived since he has a 2 yr deal . Good depth even if he's in Hartford although he's also a good cheap NHL spare forward

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Rangers did PP work with Kreider, Brassard and Zuccarello up front and Dan Boyle and Chris Mueller on the points. The other unit was St. Louis, Miller, Nash, Ryan McDonagh and Michael Kostka. (NYR)

The plan gotta be to have McD-Boyle out for a good 1.30+ of our PPs, I doubt they are considering Mueller or Kostka for those roles...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hrivik and Lindberg are ready for 4th line duty. Lindberg is a better player than Lombardi. Hrivik provides size and strength to that line. Both good 2-way players. Both have good speed and can control the puck.

Kreider-Brassard-MZA
MSL/Nash-Miller-MSL/Nash
Hagelin-Moore-Stempniak
Glass-Lindberg-Hrivik
Lombardi/Malone

I think Hrivik has a bit left to prove in terms of PKing, playing defense and overall being trustworthy in the NHL in a smaller role.

He could make it, but I think he is fighting an uphill battle still at this point. He still needs to prove himself in the above areas.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

Kreider-Brassard-MZA
MSL/Nash-Miller-MSL/Nash
Hagelin-Moore-Stempniak
Glass-Lindberg-Hrivik
Lombardi/Malone

I like this lineup. Hrivik is a solid player, and probably deserves to make this team. I'll be pissed if a guy like Lombardi or Malone ends up blocking him. (and by block, I mean our management team gives them a spot they didn't earn)

Fast is certainly a sleeper as well. I just wish he was more assertive with the puck. He defers way too much and always tries to make the safe play. I know he has the skill. It would be nice to see him flash it every once in a while. He's not going to make the team as a mucker, so he should be trying to put his offensive prowess on display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad