Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMonkey*

Why should Lombardi have a spot over anyone? He can't get on the ice either, yet you clearly have him ahead of Malone.

Because he has been on the ice. Practices. Malone hasn't been on the ice for practice since Friday. He won't be today or tomorrow. That's 5 days and 3 games missed of camp. That's a lot, for a guy in his situation.

Lombardi could be in the lineup tomorrow.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I may be mixed up so please bear with me but,

Can someone explain why it is 9 games?

If they already burned a year off his ELC due to signing him after the deadline, what would it matter how many games he played?

Edited all out.

It isn't 9 games. The Rangers can keep him on the roster as long as they want, since the year is already burned off the ELC. They just can't send him to the AHL. It's the Rangers or Remparts for him. He can even be sent back to Quebec later in the year if he looks ready early and then falters hard.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Because he has been on the ice. Practices. Malone hasn't been on the ice for practice since Friday. He won't be today or tomorrow. That's 5 days and 3 games missed of camp. That's a lot, for a guy in his situation.

Lombardi could be in the lineup tomorrow.

Okay. I'll just reply with the same quote you posted earlier:

Vigneault added that it was “definitely†a concern that Lombardi and Malone are struggling with injuries in camp and while neither player got hurt on purpose, they need to play to be able to make the team.

Notice how he included both Lombardi and Malone in that statement. But if you want to claim that Lombardi's injury isn't holding him back while Malone's is, more power to you.

SupersonicMonkey*

Okay. I'll just reply with the same quote you posted earlier:

Notice how he included both Lombardi and Malone in that statement. But if you want to claim that Lombardi's injury isn't holding him back while Malone's is, more power to you.

Lombardi could skate and play as early as tomorrow. Where Malone WON'T be on the ice until at least Wednesday. 5 days after his injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
As much as nicknames are completely frivolous and irrelevant, I actually know people named Tony D. and that name has still never passed my lips, and I'll be damned if it's going to in the future.

It's such awsome name, big bummer if he ends up being called something else...

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think it matters. The only concern if he makes the team is dumping an AHL vet to get under the 50 contract limit.

Edited all out.

It isn't 9 games. The Rangers can keep him on the roster as long as they want, since the year is already burned off the ELC. They just can't send him to the AHL. It's the Rangers or Remparts for him. He can even be sent back to Quebec later in the year if he looks ready early and then falters hard.

Thanks for the clarification.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I hope he isn't the #7 unless they keep the #7 in the AHL

i honestly dont think mcilrath is even being considered for any roster spot right now. and i agree.

conor allen is head and shoulders better today and with his 2 way game, he makes a very versatile 7th man. he will need some games and with injuries and days off, i expect hell get them.

dylan just isnt ready and he wont sit and watch cuz that aint what he needs right now.

he needs games and lot of em. hate to be a broken record but from what i saw the other night, he didnt look terribad, but he also didnt look ready to take a regular shift. hes still pretty raw.

with the top 6 dmen and conor allen, i think we are ready to do battle. in fact, i really like that top 7.

good size, good wheels, some offense and some smart defensive first guys. more than anything, i think it will be an active defense and one more inclined to push pucks and get involved in the o zone.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
i honestly dont think mcilrath is even being considered for any roster spot right now. and i agree.

conor allen is head and shoulders better today and with his 2 way game, he makes a very versatile 7th man. he will need some games and with injuries and days off, i expect hell get them.

dylan just isnt ready and he wont sit and watch cuz that aint what he needs right now.

he needs games and lot of em. hate to be a broken record but from what i saw the other night, he didnt look terribad, but he also didnt look ready to take a regular shift. hes still pretty raw.

with the top 6 dmen and conor allen, i think we are ready to do battle. in fact, i really like that top 7.

good size, good wheels, some offense and some smart defensive first guys. more than anything, i think it will be an active defense and one more inclined to push pucks and get involved in the o zone.

I agree with this. Although I would send Allen back to the AHL to get time and leave him there. No need to keep Kampfer, Hunwick or Kostka around either. None of them are NHL d-men and Allen is better than all of them and should get the minutes.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I agree with this. Although I would send Allen back to the AHL to get time and leave him there. No need to keep Kampfer, Hunwick or Kostka around either. None of them are NHL d-men and Allen is better than all of them and should get the minutes.

If Allen is in the A, where he should be getting minutes, you need one of the three of Kostka, Hunwick, Kampfer around for emergencies where Allen can't make the game.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Allen is in the A, where he should be getting minutes, you need one of the three of Kostka, Hunwick, Kampfer around for emergencies where Allen can't make the game.

Why? How long does a flight take to the West Coast which would be the worst case scenario. He could leave at 10AM and make the LA Kings arena by 4pm. I see more value in the cap space later in the season than holding onto one of those guys.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Why? How long does a flight take to the West Coast which would be the worst case scenario. He could leave at 10AM and make the LA Kings arena by 4pm. I see more value in the cap space later in the season than holding onto one of those guys.

Things happen, a guy with the flu might practice in the morning but not be ready to go by game time. Someone could get hurt in warm ups. Someone might not be able to practice one day, and we'll need an extra body to get in and take reps in gameday practices. AV is going to carry a 7D no matter what. It's his style, he's said he's going to do it.

Allen may be the de facto 7D in terms of the fact that he'll be first in when he can be, but there's an importance to carrying a guy who can sit in the pressbox every night and be ready to go and be serviceable if emergency strikes.

Kostka, Hunwick, or Kampfer will be on the roster opening night, and Allen will be in the AHL logging 22 minutes a night.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Things happen, a guy with the flu might practice in the morning but not be ready to go by game time. Someone could get hurt in warm ups. Someone might not be able to practice one day, and we'll need an extra body to get in and take reps in gameday practices. AV is going to carry a 7D no matter what. It's his style, he's said he's going to do it.

Allen may be the de facto 7D in terms of the fact that he'll be first in when he can be, but there's an importance to carrying a guy who can sit in the pressbox every night and be ready to go and be serviceable if emergency strikes.

Kostka, Hunwick, or Kampfer will be on the roster opening night, and Allen will be in the AHL logging 22 minutes a night.
Dead on with the McI assessment as well as this. Allen should stay in Hartford getting top pair minutes with McIlrath. If someone's hurt for longer than a game, bring him up. The three headed monster of Hunwick, Kostka & Kampfer should be there for a spot start if someone's banged up or sick.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Keep 12 forwards then instead of 13. We can save cap there and have a defender who can sub in on wing. It's easier to play a game with 11 forwards than 5 defenders.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Edited all out.

If the Rangers want to keep him beyond 10 games, they'll have to clear a contract on the limit of 50 though.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
A blogger claims we don't have a 9 game penalty because we already lost a year. We will, however, need to make a decision after game 10 to clear a roster spot for Duke. If he plays over 40 games, then he's a UFA a year earlier.

However, last week Larry Brooks at the New York Post dropped this little nugget on us…

“An interesting note on Duclair’s contract: Ordinarily, the contract would slide for a second straight season if Duclair returns to juniors, thus leaving him with the full three-year Entry Level deal to fulfill. But because Duclair did not sign his first contract until Jan. 6, 2014, thus missing the Dec. 31, 2013 cutoff date, the Rangers got only one “slide year†out of it.

Thus, even if Duclair returns to Quebec, the winger will have just two years remaining on his contract and would become eligible for restricted free agency in 2017.â€

... reader @Kevin11 questioned why everyone continued with the assumption that Duclair was subject to the nine game rule despite the fact that he’d already be burning the initial year of his entry level contract anyway. As @Kevin11 understood it, the Rangers should be able to return Duclair to his junior team whenever they felt like it since they’re already being penalized.

After initially dismissing his notion, I asked fellow TheNYRBloggers Adam and Neill if what @Kevin11 was stating is in fact true. And after some back and forth, we came to the conclusion that it is. Because the Rangers are already losing a year of Duclair’s contract this season they’re basically able to take advantage of a loophole that would allow them to extend the young phenom’s tryout indefinitely without being imposed an additional penalty if they eventually decided to return him to juniors. Which obviously comes in especially handy with Stepan’s injury.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers knew what they were getting with Lombardi and Malone. Lombardi hasn't been a productive NHLer in a while because of the concussions. Malone has had so many injuries in the last 3 to 4 years. How do the Rangers evaluate their play when they aren't healthy enough to play? Both of them can be dumped in the AHL but there's a numbers game down there. Watch Duclair make the team and the Rangers not have room for him because they have a million AHL players on NHL contracts.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
YI've never been more unsure of opening day lineup than I am now. It's kinda scary, but also kinda fun.

It definitely looks like we have more depth than usual. Last season, we started with our THIRD line being Pyatt-Boyle-Fast. Jesper Fast wasn't ready yet, Pyatt was already done and Boyle was never a third liner on a contender. The next game, Fast was replaced with Asham, whose ability to play in the NHL was also over. And mind you, last season we had better depth the the year before.

I really think this season we'll have tremendous depth. We might play around with some guys who aren't ready or whose careers are done early in the season, but once things sort themselves out, we'll be in great shape, particularly as more rookies become ready.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Watch Duclair make the team and the Rangers not have room for him because they have a million AHL players on NHL contracts.

I definitely think someone like Kristo has enough value that someone would take him off our hands. I'm sure a weaker team that thinks he could possibly contribute later or a team that wants to improve its AHL squad would be glad to take him from us for free.

Championship*

Kristo either plays 80 games or he's UFA correct? If that's the case the I can see the Rangers trying to move him because I don't think there's anyway he gets 80 games out of the Rangers this year, not with the Rangers' wings looking like they do.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012

not a mcilrath fan but he needs to play big minutes in the ahl if he is someday gonna make it. Same goes with allen

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Kristo either plays 80 games or he's UFA correct? If that's the case the I can see the Rangers trying to move him because I don't think there's anyway he gets 80 games out of the Rangers this year, not with the Rangers' wings looking like they do.

Kristo has very limited value trade-wise for the same reason--the other team is going to have to commit to having him on the roster for the whole season, or lose him for nothing as a UFA too.

Championship*

Kristo has very limited value trade-wise for the same reason--the other team is going to have to commit to having him on the roster for the whole season, or lose him for nothing as a UFA too.

I'm sure there are teams out there that could use him. I'm not saying his value is high but as of now it looks like the Rangers are set to lose him for nothing.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I'm sure there are teams out there that could use him. I'm not saying his value is high but as of now it looks like the Rangers are set to lose him for nothing.

Kristo seems destined for the minors but he has talent. Would stink loosing him so they may make a deal at some pt in the yr

This is good problem to have. So many kids stepping up

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Well I think Haggerty just made Kristo's life a lot harder. With Fast already being ahead of him, and now a kid with a similar skill set but some wits out there is showing some good signs, I think Kristo would be best served being moved to a team where he can get a shot.

Kristo's play last year did nothing to move him up the depth chart, and while he had some good shifts, he isn't someone that's on the radar anymore. You need to compete in all 3-Zones to play in the NHL on a winning team.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I've been in favor of moving Kristo for a while now. I do think Brooklyn has a point about his trade value, but if they can get a pick for him, they should do it. They're going to lose him in the offseason anyway, there's a slew of guys ahead of him and it's not like HFD is hurting for quality forwards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad