Pre-Game Talk: 2014 Training Camp (Starts 9/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMonkey*

Does Ryan Haggerty intrigue anyone else ? I think he may stick

Yes. And i pray he, Miller, Lombardi, Stempniak, and Glass earn the open spots and send Malone away. Far, far away.

I would love to see Haggerty on the left half boards ripping shots on the power play. And have Brassard and Zuccarello feed him the puck at even strength.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Players I'm most excited to see in camp / evaluate in pre-season games:

Kevin Hayes (competing for 3rd line spot)

JT Miller (competing for 3rd line spot)

Ryan Malone (can he regain form? How much does he have left? Can his legs keep up in a speed-based system? If so, where does he fit?)

Matthew Lombardi (can he put the injuries behind him? Can he re-discover his game at the NHL level? He certainly has the legs to keep up with the pace. In a bottom-9 (likely 4th line) role, is he reliable enough defensively? I think he may complement Dom Moore quite nicely.)

*Anthony Duclair (just to gauge how close he is as he's not likely to seriously challenge for a NHL spot this season)

*Ryan Haggerty (also to gauge how close he is; how he looks against older, bigger, stronger players. I don't see him making the team out of camp, but a mid-season call-up wouldn't be a huge surprise)

*Matthew Bodie (how does he look against NHL competition? He may end up eventually leapfrogging a guy like Skjei. He's a very good skater and was very impressive this past season in the NCAA. I'm definitely looking forward to following his progress in Hartford this season. He may be closer than initially expected.)

Note: I really think Hayes makes the team, either beating out Miller for the 3C spot or pushing Stempniak down or out of the lineup as the 3RW next to Miller. Also, don't count Oscar Lindberg out just yet. He could very well challenge for the 3C spot himself: while not as offensively gifted as Miller or Hayes, he's a very capable two-way center who understands his role in all three zones; very coachable player as well.

I'm also interested to see who makes the team as the 7th defenseman: Kostka, Hunwick? It's unlikely the Rangers would prefer to keep Allen or McIlrath as a healthy scratch with the NHL team rather than letting them continue to play top-pair minutes in the AHL.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Yes. And i pray he, Miller, Lombardi, Stempniak, and Glass earn the open spots and send Malone away. Far, far away.

Glass? You're praying for Glass to take a spot over Malone? Even last year, Malone was substantially better than Glass.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
So friggin excited for this season to start. TC should be a real doozy.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
2014-2015 New York Rangers Training Camp Thread

Alright all you crazies, physicals start today, let's try and keep TC discussion in here

SupersonicMonkey*

Glass? You're praying for Glass to take a spot over Malone? Even last year, Malone was substantially better than Glass.

Sunstantially better at what?

Glass can skate, hit, kill penalties, and block shots. He can actually do some things away from the puck. And contrary to popular belief, you play most of the game without the puck.

Malone is better at standing...in front of a net...what else?

If we are talking about the 13th forward spot, that will barely, There is a cap penalty for Glass not being on the roster, and when you add up the cap penalty and Malone's contract, it nearly evens out. So there really isn't any advantage there, either.

SupersonicMonkey*

Lol, is that so?

Yea, it is. You play? Try to convince me you have the puck on your stick the whole time you are on the ice. I'll call bull ****.

There are times a player can go an entire shift without touching the puck.

The idea is for your team to have it, it doesn't mean you yourself will.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lol, is that so?

Well Glass can't maintain possession to save his life, apparently, so yeah for him that's probably an accurate statement. :)

Anyway, I'm freaking psyched. Most excited I've been for camp in quite some time! Post-2004 lockout was the last time I was this amped. And with my Metsies winding down another ****** season and the Jets stuck in mediocrity again, the Rangers are all I've got! :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yea, it is. You play? Try to convince me you have the puck on your stick the whole time you are on the ice. I'll call bull ****.

It's true that overall you spend far more time on the ice without the puck than with the puck. However, what you do during those moments when you do have the puck is absolutely ****ing crucial. I don't want to get into the whole Glass thing in this thread, but that's what people are getting at when they pan him.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Individual players don't have the puck for most of the game, yes.

Your post seemed to imply that as a team you don't have the puck for most of the game.

Regardless, arguing that a player who sucks at possession is more valuable than one who doesn't simply because a large portion of the game is played without the puck is a very weak argument.

Glass is good at what he does. AV wanted him for a reason.

Malone can also be a valuable player if he can regain his form.

SupersonicMonkey*

It's true that overall you spend far more time on the ice without the puck than with the puck. However, what you do during those moments when you do have the puck is absolutely ****ing crucial. I don't want to get into the whole Glass thing in this thread, but that's what people are getting at when they pan him.

I get that. But lets not pretend he has a self destructing stick blade and that Ryan friggin Malone is some God send compared to Glass.

Malone was ONCE a good player. He isn't anymore. He doesn't fit our identity on the ice. And where Glass might be a hinderance when he has the puck, Maline is a hinderance just being there.

I'd rather have guys that can do things, be it with or without the puck.

SupersonicMonkey*

Individual players don't have the puck for most of the game, yes.

Your post seemed to imply that as a team you don't have the puck for most of the game.

Regardless, arguing that a player who sucks at possession is more valuable than one who doesn't simply because a large portion of the game is played without the puck is a very weak argument.

Glass is good at what he does. AV wanted him for a reason.

Malone can also be a valuable player if he can regain his form.

Yeah, but that isn't my argument. It was individually. And it isn't really weak at all. Killing penalties isn't important? Blocking shots isn't important? Hitting isn't important? Skating isn't important?

That's a huge if, for Malone.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Okay but all the things you used to defend Tanner Glass are things players do when the other team has the puck, not your team. Hitting, blocking, penalty killing, you don't do those when you or your team possess the puck.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Okay but all the things you used to defend Tanner Glass are things players do when the other team has the puck, not your team. Hitting, blocking, penalty killing, you don't do those when you or your team possess the puck.

Exactly. Ail gets it.

SupersonicMonkey*

In any case, i don't want hijack this thread with arguments about Malone or Glass as I have beat that dead horse already.

Does anyone know what time Vigneault's press conference is?

SupersonicMonkey*

When you're TEAM has the puck. But, again, that isn't my argument.

And you are banking on Malone being the difference between having it and not?

Besides, these two guys at best should be healthy scratches every night. Part of my argument, which you ignored, was Haggerty, Lombardi, and Stempniak filling out the spots that should go to guys who DO play. And those guys should help improve possession, offensive production, and play away from the puck as well.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Would certainly like to see some guys like Haggerty or Hayes make it but I suspect they'll need more time

Fast and Lindberg probably have the upper hand on them though, and Miller probably will have to play himself out of a job.

Ideally I'd like the young guys to grab those jobs open in the top 9 and stempniak and someone else on the 4th line with moore ready to step in if needed

Zuccarello Awesome*

Yeah, but that isn't my argument. It was individually. And it isn't really weak at all. Killing penalties isn't important? Blocking shots isn't important? Hitting isn't important? Skating isn't important?

That's a huge if, for Malone.

It's not a huge if for Malone.

He had one bad year, due at least in part to off-ice issues.

I'd say there's a good chance he bounces back and contributes positively to the team.

I've got nothing against Glass and I actually think he'll be a good player for us. I trust AV's judgment.

But even in the worst year of his career, Malone is a better player than Glass, period.

They are different players and they have different roles. Glass is 4th line or scratched. Malone could very well find himself on the 3rd line at some point, and it's not even out of the question that he could potentially fill into a top-6 role in the event of injuries. That's a versatility that Glass simply doesn't have. Spots will be EARNED in camp. Let's see what happens.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Camp roster

[table="head;width=300]Goalies
Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Talbot
Cedrick Desjardins
Brandon Halverson
Jason Missiaen