Pre-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If Virtanen is available, why don't we send him ++ to WPG for Kane at the draft?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I hate you Arsmaster. I hate you. That highlights package was country music infected and you made me look, not even good country.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I hate you Arsmaster. I hate you. That highlights package was country music infected and you made me look, not even good country.

:laugh: I had the same reaction. I don't think I've ever clicked a mute button so fast before.

arsmaster*

I kinda liked it. Better than the classic Rise Against you'll generally hear in prospects videos.

I knew that would draw some reactions though. :laugh:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Those Raiders jerseys are amazing :0

Also, dat shot from Virtanen. I really dont have a straight idea of where he'll go in this draft though, he went from being top 5 predicted before this year to 2nd round and now he's everywhere in between. All I know is that if he or Ehlers go past 15 they'll be huge steals.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
really hope we rebuild , would be the best option. Trade Edler for a mid 1st +

Really would love Perlini + Ritchie in this years draft and Greenway or Bittner next year. Stock up on PWFs who can skate and scored with two way centers up the middle(Cassels, Horvat, Gaunce)

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
If we're talking 2015 then Kylington looks absolutely amazing. Too early to judge but I think he might be as good or better than Seth Jones. Definitely better than Ekblad.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Really would love Perlini + Ritchie in this years draft and Greenway or Bittner next year. Stock up on PWFs who can skate and scored with two way centers up the middle(Cassels, Horvat, Gaunce)

Mentioned Edler to NYI for 1st before.

But have to wonder if FLA is looking for a D like Edler too.

Maybe Edler, Luongo for Kulikov and 1st?

That's a pick that could very well end up being Reinhart/Bennett/Dal Colle.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
If we're talking 2015 then Kylington looks absolutely amazing. Too early to judge but I think he might be as good or better than Seth Jones. Definitely better than Ekblad.

The fact that he is already playing in the SHL at the age of 16 is nothing short of amazing.

I read over on the main prospect board that he has looked good against the AHL all-stars.

The 2015 draft class is looking to be a doozy.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The fact that he is already playing in the SHL at the age of 16 is nothing short of amazing.

I read over on the main prospect board that he has looked good against the AHL all-stars.

The 2015 draft class is looking to be a doozy.

Yeah, he looked great for his age. Got an assist too. His skating is incredible and he seems to have hockey IQ to match. Despite his solid physique, he needs to bulk up and get stronger — right now he ends up on his ass quite often when going for hits against same sized players.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
Yeah, he looked great for his age. Got an assist too. His skating is incredible and he seems to have hockey IQ to match. Despite his solid physique, he needs to bulk up and get stronger — right now he ends up on his ass quite often when going for hits against same sized players.

He's only 16 so I'm sure he'll be able to grow a few more inches and then pack on the mass.

Apparently, he's the youngest player to ever score in the SHL?

http://hampsonhockey.com/2013/09/oliver-kylington-sets-two-records-in-shl-debut/

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Right now the 2015 draft looks insane. Seems like a lot of the prospects could very well be drafted give or take 5 spots earlier in most years.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Right now the 2015 draft looks insane. Seems like a lot of the prospects could very well be drafted give or take 5 spots earlier in most years.

If you are going to tank heavily rebuild this is a great draft to do it, even if you miss the top 3 or 4 you are bound to get something special. The top 10 is swaying me more towards a rebuild.

arsmaster*

2015 is loaded not just at the top.

Lots of good players. Colin White from the States will be a huge riser. My favourite type of player.

It's a strong year for the WHL too.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
2015 is loaded not just at the top.

Lots of good players. Colin White from the States will be a huge riser. My favourite type of player.

It's a strong year for the WHL too.

Pavel Zacha from the Czech Republic is another excellent prospect who'll likely go outside of the Top 10 and maybe even Top 20. He was as good in his draft - 2 year as Hertl in his draft - 1 year.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Just trade everyone on our team who could pull a first round draft pick, or early seconds.

go into 2015 with 10-15 of the top 30-40 picks.

ez rebuild is done in 2 years

:sarcasm:

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Just trade everyone on our team who could pull a first round draft pick, or early seconds.

go into 2015 with 10-15 of the top 30-40 picks.

ez rebuild is done in 2 years

:sarcasm:

sounds like how I play NHL 14 on the Be a GM mode

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
If you are going to tank heavily rebuild this is a great draft to do it, even if you miss the top 3 or 4 you are bound to get something special. The top 10 is swaying me more towards a rebuild.

If the Canucks tank next year, Gillis will sweat so much he'll lose some serious weight.

IT'S A WIN WIN SITUATION

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

This is absolutely NOT how I want the team to be built. Have we not learned after all these years of not enough offense? For sure, I want those elements in the roster but the roster also needs some pure skill.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
This is absolutely NOT how I want the team to be built. Have we not learned after all these years of not enough offense? For sure, I want those elements in the roster but the roster also needs some pure skill.

Also "stocking up on powerforwards" means the inevitably longer learning/development curve. The fan base will be ready to run half of them out of town after 2 years.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Looking at recent Cup winners, the Bruins and Kings both won Cups on the backs of historical goaltending performances. Both their goalies won Conn Smythe trophies. Outside of that, you have teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago who, at their best, were/are offensive powerhouses and played a highly skilled, puck possession game to win.

That's how the Canucks need to be built. Gillis' original vision for this team was right on the money. He just got distracted after the Bruins manhandled and embarrassed them and he completely abandoned his vision.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Looking at recent Cup winners, the Bruins and Kings both won Cups on the backs of historical goaltending performances. Both their goalies won Conn Smythe trophies. Outside of that, you have teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago who, at their best, were/are offensive powerhouses and played a highly skilled, puck possession game to win.

That's how the Canucks need to be built. Gillis' original vision for this team was right on the money. He just got distracted after the Bruins manhandled and embarrassed them and he completely abandoned his vision.

So we just need to draft historically good goalies and skilled puck possession forwards? Sounds easy enough :sarcasm:

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011

Can you even draw that distinction?

The Red Wings were an excellent defensive team and the Kings were downright dominant (despite their mediocre W-L-OTL record) in puck possession metrics the year they won. I believe the Bruins led the league in score close fenwick (about as "puck possession" as it gets) the year they won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad