Pre-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

Good news, I got tickets to Hitmen vs Rebels on Monday. I'll come back with amazingly detailed scouting reports on Virtanen and Fleury, and will try to get a good take on Ben Thomas as well.

edit: That, or possibly keep taking my shirt off and trying to get on the jumbotron.

Sanheim looks good too on the hitmen as does Bleackley on Red Deer. I expect no less than 1000 words on each players game.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Sanheim looks good too on the hitmen as does Bleackley on Red Deer. I expect no less than 1000 words on each players game.

On your desk by Tuesday!? :-/

Yeah I forgot about Sanheim, and I actually thought I mentioned Bleackley in my post but apparently I didn't! I'm also hoping for another look at the Hitmen backup Mack Shields, he was draft eligible last year. He's been pretty solid this season. Won't bother getting excited about Fazleev on account of Russian-ness.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
My point is you can't lump those teams into "good offensively" and "carried by their goaltender" categories very neatly.

The Red Wings, Bruins and Kings were all excellent defensive teams who were strong in terms of puck possession as well.

(And I would say that as good as Tim Thomas and Jon Quick are, they would not have posted historic numbers if it weren't for the teams playing in front of them.)

There isn't a poor defensive team among that group though.

Last year Chicago were near the top in terms of GAA, SAA, PK%; to a lesser extent they were up there in 2010 as well. Detroit was certainly stellar defensively.

Not to derail this thread more, but lets be honest, most teams that win the cup in the modern era, are generally not just offence or goaltender based. Gone are the days when a Patty Roy can carry a team to a cup win. You need to have a good balance.

This year I think our biggest problem was we were not deep enough, when injuries happen we couldn't survive. We do need top 6 forwards, but that would also help the real problem depth.

arsmaster*

David Pastrnak is supposedly going to miss the remainder of the season due to this hit. Probably hurt his draft stock. Be a good guy to target late 1st if we got another one.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

David Pastrnak is supposedly going to miss the remainder of the season due to this hit. Probably hurt his draft stock. Be a good guy to target late 1st if we got another one.

Holy **** that was a solid hit. I guess it's not hard when the hittee is like a buck seventy.

Golden Boy

The Spy in Beantown
Mar 24, 2012
Currently Undercover
I know that we have a lot of decent goalies in our system, but Thatcher Demko is a prospect worth taking a look at. Albeit I am biased because he lives in my dorm, he just won the Beanpot vs Northeastern as a true freshman -- no easy task. He has great athleticism and his lateral ability is pretty decent.

Also, he goes to Boston College -- just like #35 did. :)

EAGLES SOAR BEHIND DEMKO

Boston College freshman goaltender Thatcher Demko, No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's midterm list of the top 2014 draft-eligible goalies in North America, had a stellar effort in his Beanpot Tournament debut Monday, making 27 saves in a 3-1 victory against Boston University in the semifinal round at TD Garden in Boston.

The Eagles will face Northeastern in the Beanpot championship game next Monday at 7:30 p.m. ET before what is sure to be a packed house at TD Garden. The 6-foot-3.75, 192-pounder is expected to start the final, a game that very well might be the biggest of his career to this point.

"He's been a good goaltender for a lot of years, you know, so I don't think it's a surprise that he could handle something like this and play well," Boston College coach Jerry York told sports editor Connor Mellas of bcheightssports.com. "I think Thatcher, as I watch him, he's getting more confident. He handles the puck now; he reminds me an awful lot of Cory Schneider at the same age."

Demko, who even earned an assist on teammate Johnny Gaudreau's third-period goal, won his sixth straight game and improved to 9-1-2 with a 1.90 goals-against average and .930 save percentage in 12 games.

"I thought we played well, but Thatcher, you know, kept them off the boards," York said. "We gave them a 2-on-0 break, there was one save, a remarkable save right around the crease area that they made a tic-tac-toe play and … I have to see the tape, I don't know how it stayed out of the net. I think a lot of our good defense, that was the play of Thatcher."

Schneider, now with the New Jersey Devils, played in three Beanpot tournaments for York at Boston College but never celebrated a victory.

"[Demko's] big, he's square, he makes a great save at the end of the game where just because he's in great position," Boston University coach David Quinn said. "He understands what his strength is and it's his size. He doesn't waste any movement and he doesn't waste any energy."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=703814

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Surprising that all of them have Nylander outside of the top-10. Would have been my pick in all three mocks.

Certainly puts in perspective though how wide open the rankings are this season. It gives me hope that there will be fallers like Nylander at our pick.

arsmaster*

Surprising that all of them have Nylander outside of the top-10. Would have been my pick in all three mocks.

Certainly puts in perspective though how wide open the rankings are this season. It gives me hope that there will be fallers like Nylander at our pick.

Ehlers is outside of the 1st and 29th on two of the lists.

These lists don't give me any hope.

How anyone could have Chase De Leo on the 1st and none of the lists have Fabbri is ludicrous.

All this tells me is you can be a complete no mind and get a job and NHL.com

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Ehlers is outside of the 1st and 29th on two of the lists.

These lists don't give me any hope.

How anyone could have Chase De Leo on the 1st and none of the lists have Fabbri is ludicrous.

All this tells me is you can be a complete no mind and get a job and NHL.com

Ha, I hadn't even looked that far down the lists and didn't even realize that about Ehlers or Fabbri

I'm not saying their rankings are good by any means, but if their evaluations can be so far-fetched then there's a decent chance that some other GMs have similarly strange rankings.(hopefully not us, though)

Sometimes the draft order seems pretty well hammered out and a general consensus is formed among pre-draft rankings that correlates to the actual draft(although there's usually a couple of surprise reaches/fallers) but as a whole this draft seems much more fluid and allows for a greater opportunity to draft better value.

EDIT: Wait a second, Ehlers is at 12th overall in Hoffner's.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Damn i feel like after the top 8 this draft is such a crapshoot. Might as well pick a name out of a hat ..

arsmaster*

Yeah. Nylander looks like the guy for me too. Although virtanen is just so rare.

What these lists do is create discussion. So it would be interesting to hear what everyone else would do if the top 8 went down like they propose.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Damn i feel like after the top 8 this draft is such a crapshoot. Might as well pick a name out of a hat ..

That's why I'm not worried if the Canucks go a run and finish 13th, you won't get Perlini or Draisaitl but you could get just about anyone else from Virtanen to Nylander.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
NHL.com with its first batch of dog **** mocks.

9th overall: DeAngelo, Fleury, and virtanen.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=704725

Honestly anyone who think Gillis would take a dman, let alone a bad character is off his rocker. Didn't even use his brain.

man come on

A: its for the lowest common denominator
B: its written by a dude whos been on staff for like 3 months
C: expecting that guy to know the actual motivations and patterns for 30 teams' GMs is a bit silly

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
man come on

C: expecting that guy to know the actual motivations and patterns for 30 teams' GMs is a bit silly

For a professional? Hardly. A bunch of guys here could manage that.

Well you can't know their actual motivations, but obviously get a solid estimate based on their teams deficiencies, drafting track record/tendancies etc

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Ha, I hadn't even looked that far down the lists and didn't even realize that about Ehlers or Fabbri

I'm not saying their rankings are good by any means, but if their evaluations can be so far-fetched then there's a decent chance that some other GMs have similarly strange rankings.(hopefully not us, though)

Sometimes the draft order seems pretty well hammered out and a general consensus is formed among pre-draft rankings that correlates to the actual draft(although there's usually a couple of surprise reaches/fallers) but as a whole this draft seems much more fluid and allows for a greater opportunity to draft better value.

EDIT: Wait a second, Ehlers is at 12th overall in Hoffner's.

If we've learned anything from recent drafts and the Canucks' leaked (supposed) 2010 draft list is that teams DO have wildly differing draft lists. We as fans get caught up trying to create consensus lists but every year there are stunning fallers like Shinkaruk, Erne, and Zykov and surprising risers like Horvat and Poirier. Won't be any different this year, if anything is more likely than ever to follow team lists as teams may be more willing to chase a certain player or style of player in a "weaker" draft.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
"hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its only a first line player if he has a hundred points" - your argument summed up

Right, that's my argument. You got me all figured out.

We're all entitled to our opinion here. At the end of the day I just feel like you need at least 1, preferably 2, elite talents to drive the offense. I don't see what the big issue with that is. I feel like people are arguing for the sake of arguing because we're pretty much 99% on the same page here.

I know Detroit had Franzen and Holmstom and Kopecky in the top 9. My point was never that I didn't want power forwards or two way beasts in the forward group. My point is that, along with the Franzen's the Holmstrom's and the Datsyuk's, you need a Datsyuk and a Zetterberg (NOTE: I'm not necessarily talking about players exactly like them - they're one in a million players).

This is why I don't think the Blues will win a Cup with their current roster. They have a great team but for a few years now they've struggled without an elite, dynamic offensive talent to make that critical difference. They're built exactly how the poster I originally quoted described and I just happen to not like that kind of forward make-up.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Virtanen is young by draft standards (1 month off being in the 2015 draft). He's already 208lb and 6'1" and could grow/add a few more pounds yet.

He's 10 months younger than Draisaitl for example.

Interesting to see who is almost a year older and who isn't. Adrian Kempe is only days from being a 2015 pick, Nylander is also quite young.

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
man come on

If he isn't at least willing to put some realistic thought behind what each GM's motivations and patterns are, he probably shouldn't be doing mock drafts for NHL.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad