Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think AK meant "performing as well" as in..."he's performing well too" not "performing as well as Igor"
Ah gotcha.

Yea I agree he is performing well and not a complete disaster, but at the same time a #1 has emerged between the 2. Whether they go with him as the starter or do the 50/50 thing again has yet to be seen.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Isn't it the job of the coaches to play your best players? Are they really sitting him because he'll play in the NHL next season? So SKA's coach is basically (possibly) throwing games out of petty spite? I understand with Rykov who won't move any needles, but Shestyorkin?

Enough with the NYR conspiracy theories....

If you can help SKA win games, you'll receive ice time regardless of whether leaving the KHL is imminent. See Koskinen, Dadonov, Voynov, Yakovlev, Tarasenko, Cervenka, Kovalchuk, Panarin, etc., etc.
On this year's squad, Gusev, Prokhorkin, and Barabanov are likely off to the NHL next year yet they are still key players for Vorobyov.
As for Shestyorkin, SKA has implemented a dual goalie system long before Shestyorkin made the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Enough with the NYR conspiracy theories....

If you can help SKA win games, you'll receive ice time regardless of whether leaving the KHL is imminent. See Koskinen, Dadonov, Voynov, Yakovlev, Tarasenko, Cervenka, Kovalchuk, Panarin, etc., etc.
On this year's squad, Gusev, Prokhorkin, and Barabanov are likely off to the NHL next year yet they are still key players for Vorobyov.
As for Shestyorkin, SKA has implemented a dual goalie system long before Shestyorkin made the roster.

Speaking of Koskinen, if I'm not mistaken, numerous Rangers fans last year theorized Koskinen received preferential treatment because Shestyorkin's future was in the NHL. lol

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
2017-18:
Koskinen 29
Shestyorkin 28

2016-17:
Koskinen 23
Shestyorkin 39

2015-16:
Koskinen 41
Yezhov 16
Shestyorkin 7

2014-15:
Koskinen 21
Salak 19
Ivannikov 16
Shestyorkin 6
Yezhov 2

In 2016-17 Shestyorkin played more than Koskinen and the season before Koskinen was the clear starter but there is definitely evidence to show that SKA is a team that rather goes for a tandem instead of a clear starter

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Speaking of Koskinen, if I'm not mistaken, numerous Rangers fans last year theorized Koskinen received preferential treatment because Shestyorkin's future was in the NHL. lol
lol, yes you are mistaken. The theory was he got the ice time because he was veteran.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No, there was definitely a lot of concern that he was being held back because SKA didn't want to play him knowing he'd be gone in a year or two. That concern has been around for a couple years now.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No, there was definitely a lot of concern that he was being held back because SKA didn't want to play him knowing he'd be gone in a year or two. That concern has been around for a couple years now.
Don't recall this. Maybe 1-2 people said it but that was the excuse for Rykov. All i remember is people discussing how SKA always favors the older players on the team which is why Kosk played so much.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

This has already been settled.

The goalie coach said multiple times that Koskinen received preferential treatment because he had a first goalie contract.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wasn’t koskinen hurt in 2016-17

I think he had two, one early in the season and then one in the playoffs. He also was at the WCH, and Shestyorkin did well while he was sitting in the stands as Finland's #3. I don't even think there was a share of duty going into that season. I think Shestyorkin earned it because of how well he played while Koskinen was away.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Game against Sibir today, who have 0 points from 10 games and have been by far the league's worst team. No word on goalies yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad