Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not saying you should look past bad games, necessarily. But the reality is, if you have have two goalies splitting time, fighting for starts, the team is not likely to focus on two starts that occurred a month ago. PB noted that Shesterkin's SV% is 45 points higher, which is valid, and meaningful to us!--but probably not terribly meaningful to the team in divvying up starts. In the more recent past, the goalies have played at similar levels, and as a result, will probably get similar starts. That was my only point (and it's not part of some "agenda" or "bias" or whatever you think it is). I just try to explain what I see. I didn't think PB's post was an accurate representation of where things stand today; I would have quoted him but he ignores me so there's no point. :laugh:

Ohh, ok it makes a lot more sense now. I didnt see his post because I was blowing past so many off topic posts in here so i wasn't sure where it was coming from but I do agree that I don't think the save % difference is that meaningful this early on in the season.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Looks like he's getting the start today against Severstal. SKA should roll them, as Severstal has 12 points in 16 games (SKA has 24 in 15).

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Another shutout!! Stopped all 32 shots :D

Only has allowed 1 single goal in the last FIVE games. That is insane.

------
Updated stats:
7-0-0
.972 Save % (1st in KHL)
0.71 GAA (1st in KHL)
4 Shutouts (1st in KHL)
------
Somewhere Benoit Allaire is laughing maniacally and drinking wine out of a goblet.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I didn't realize Koskinen had better stats last year (slightly). I know he's like 30. I hate to bring that up and harp on it again but are we SURE he's not just a product of a loaded team?

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I didn't realize Koskinen had better stats last year (slightly). I know he's like 30. I hate to bring that up and harp on it again but are we SURE he's not just a product of a loaded team?

I worry about this all the time but his international tourney performances have been great as well and the technical breakdowns I read on him suggest he's just loaded with talent

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

He’s talented and plays for a loaded team. There definitely is a question of how he’ll adjust to NA hockey, but he’s still talented

That’s about the extent of it all

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He’s talented and plays for a loaded team. There definitely is a question of how he’ll adjust to NA hockey, but he’s still talented

That’s about the extent of it all

Yep. Reality is that we need some big time eye-test analysis on Shesty from folks watching the KHL. Some very mediocre netminders have put up amazing numbers in Russia.

Not to mention how he deals with net front traffic, which is much more common over here.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Gave up a goal on 8 shots in the first, only faced 1 shot in the second, and just gave up a goal early in the 3rd. Not watching so not sure if they were good goals or not.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Well, we have some baseline idea of what Hellberg is capable of at this level. Igor is on the very same team so the comparison should be pretty helpful. Igor so far this year is blowing Hellberg out of the water, so there's something we can take from that. He's likely significantly better than Hellberg who we saw play in the NA pro leagues pretty recently.

My guess would be that the complete insanity of his numbers is partially a product of playing on a loaded team, but that he's also a very, very good goaltender.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
SKA squeaked out a win by tying it with 30 seconds left and winning in OT 3-2. Igor stopped 11 of 13 shots, so he will probably ride the bench for the month.

Updated stats:

8-0-0
.87 GAA
.963 save %
4 SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad